New HDB BTO Flat - How do you connect your Home Fiber Network

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys, need some help. Will be moving in to my new BTO flat soon. Current old flat is using myrepublic 1gbps plan.

plan to convert all my tel point to data point at my BTO and also plan to buy a 5port gigabit switch. I wan to ask:

Can use

TP ---> ONT--->gigabit switch---->individual room port--->router

or

TP ---> ONT--->Router--->gigabit switch---->individual room port--->router(WAP)

which way is correct? Thanks for the help here

TP ---> ONT--->Router--->gigabit switch---->individual room port

is the most appropriate one..

Last edited:

abstrax

Reaction score
Hi Guys, need some help. Will be moving in to my new BTO flat soon. Current old flat is using myrepublic 1gbps plan.
plan to convert all my tel point to data point at my BTO and also plan to buy a 5port gigabit switch. I wan to ask:

Can use

TP ---> ONT--->gigabit switch---->individual room port--->router

or

TP ---> ONT--->Router--->gigabit switch---->individual room port--->router(WAP)

which way is correct? Thanks for the help here

Depend on ur flat layout.....normally a wireless router wont b able to have full coverage of ur flat or weak wifi signal at certain area.....if u dun have alot wired devices to connect then just use :

TP -> ONT -> ROUTER -> connect to data ports

From the data ports in each room...u can connect other devices u like...n hence ur living room will have the strongest wifi signal since the router is placed there. Buy addtional switch then if u nid more than 4 giga LAN ports...if not save $$ lor...

jameshong

Reaction score
Hi,

My friend's father just moved to his new BTO studio and wanted to relocate his normal analog Singtel phone line to his new place but was informed by CSO that her block was fibre ready but no analog phone line so he has to apply digital voice instead.

My question is since the BTO has normal phone line jack, why can't use analog line? if no analog line, by subscribe digital voice which I believe there will be ONT supplied by Singtel but how to patch to the phone line jack as my friend said no normal phone jack in the Data box except data jack nia?

My friend's father no need Internet service as he is already 75yrs old so he just need phone service in case of emergency contact to his son(my friend).

Please advice.

Last edited:

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi,

My friend's father just moved to his new BTO studio and wanted to relocate his normal analog Singtel phone line to his new place but was informed by CSO that her block was fibre ready but no analog phone line so he has to apply digital voice instead.

My question is since the BTO has normal phone line jack, why can't use analog line? if no analog line, by subscribe digital voice which I believe there will be ONT supplied by Singtel but how to patch to the phone line jack as my friend said no normal phone jack in the Data box except data jack nia?

My friend's father no need Internet service as he is already 75yrs old so he just need phone service in case of emergency contact to his son(my friend).

Please advice.

huh? so confusing. so got rj11 jack or not? come back to us when your story sounds right.. lol

ello42

Reaction score
Hello, if lets say i dont want place the modem inside the box due to the wireless connectivity etc. Is there anyway i can place it at my study room? The middle BTO flat we seen from the previous post.

Other than relocation .

If wire from one end to another? Can i DIY ? If can then using which cable?

Thanks

abstrax

Reaction score
Hello, if lets say i dont want place the modem inside the box due to the wireless connectivity etc. Is there anyway i can place it at my study room? The middle BTO flat we seen from the previous post.

Other than relocation .

If wire from one end to another? Can i DIY ? If can then using which cable?

Thanks

Either use LAN cable connect from ONT to the point where u want to place ur router.

Else use fiber cord which means ur ONT will be shifted together with ur router.

jxyang888

Reaction score
Hi, this is what I had in my mind for my 5RM BTO.
Requirements: (1) to have connection for Miotv , Xbox & DV in living room (2) to have wireless connection for all 3 rms and hopefully at kitchen area.

Current setup: 1 data pt + 1 telephone pt at Living Room, and 1 telephone pt in each room.

My plan: Convert all telephone pts to data pt.

Intended setup in the utility box:
FTP > ONT> Modem/Router > Living Room (miotv & xbox)> 2 bedrooms only (due to max 4 ports for router)

(voice port of ONT) ONT> DV

Then to turn off wireless for the router in the utility box, and put an AP (ASUS AC68U) in 1 of the room to provide wireless coverage for all 3 rooms.

Also thinking of putting a used router as a repeater near kitchen area.

Would like to seek advice from bros here if this is a sound plan. I had a feeling something is wrong which I cannot pin point. Do I need a switch in the utility box for the Miotv/xbox/DV ? thanks in advance :)

abstrax

Reaction score
Hi, this is what I had in my mind for my 5RM BTO.
Requirements: (1) to have connection for Miotv , Xbox & DV in living room (2) to have wireless connection for all 3 rms and hopefully at kitchen area.

Current setup: 1 data pt + 1 telephone pt at Living Room, and 1 telephone pt in each room.

My plan: Convert all telephone pts to data pt.

Intended setup in the utility box:
FTP > ONT> Modem/Router > Living Room (miotv & xbox)> 2 bedrooms only (due to max 4 ports for router)

(voice port of ONT) ONT> DV

Then to turn off wireless for the router in the utility box, and put an AP (ASUS AC68U) in 1 of the room to provide wireless coverage for all 3 rooms.

Also thinking of putting a used router as a repeater near kitchen area.

Would like to seek advice from bros here if this is a sound plan. I had a feeling something is wrong which I cannot pin point. Do I need a switch in the utility box for the Miotv/xbox/DV ? thanks in advance :)

yes. u can have a additonal switch to connect the additional data point.

I rather u turn on ur wifi of ur ST RG to provide wifi signal to ur kitchen n living room.(Try 1st to c whether the reception is good)

As for ur 2nd router(asus ac68u), u can shift between the rooms to check which is the best position to maximize ur wifi range.

jxyang888

Reaction score
yes. u can have a additonal switch to connect the additional data point.

I rather u turn on ur wifi of ur ST RG to provide wifi signal to ur kitchen n living room.(Try 1st to c whether the reception is good)

As for ur 2nd router(asus ac68u), u can shift between the rooms to check which is the best position to maximize ur wifi range.

Thanks abstrax for your advice. The ST router will be enclosed in the utility box,the signal will be good enough? If i on the wireless, the asus will become a repeator instead of AP right?

I am also wondering how do i connect the DV as the phone is in the living room and ONT in the utility box.

abstrax

Reaction score
Thanks abstrax for your advice. The ST router will be enclosed in the utility box,the signal will be good enough? If i on the wireless, the asus will become a repeator instead of AP right?

I am also wondering how do i connect the DV as the phone is in the living room and ONT in the utility box.

U still can detect the wifi although ur ST RG is in the utility box. Only matters how far it is. I tik shld be able to cover ur living room.(Tats y u nid to test 1st). U still can turn on the Asus wifi signal...only tat u will have 2 SSID : 1 for the ST RG/ 1 for the Asus. So whenever the wifi signal is poor, it will switch to another one.(u can do trial n error to adjust the range) n oso u can use Asus as a wired router as well to connect any other devices too. There r threads in HWZ to setup Router LAN to LAN connection. U can check it out.

Normally there will be a phone port terminal in the utility box to connect to the living room phone port. U can double check on tat.

ello42

Reaction score
Still a bit confuse. Right now i am renovating my house and how do i know if i have structured cabling at my house?

And if theres structure cabling, i can juz plug from the data access point from my room to my desktop and it can access to the internet? Like that am i able to make calls on the same telephone line.

And is there anyway which i can extend the wireless range since my modem box will be inside the utility box. Move the modem or get 1 more new modem?

Sorry but im very very confuse.

Juz signed up with mio. And im using a smart tv

HeeroYuy84

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Please advice.

You should ask the cso write you a official email, which building does not have the POST exchange room under their blks? I VERY CURIOUS sia

Mclairs83

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Still a bit confuse. Right now i am renovating my house and how do i know if i have structured cabling at my house?

And if theres structure cabling, i can juz plug from the data access point from my room to my desktop and it can access to the internet? Like that am i able to make calls on the same telephone line.

And is there anyway which i can extend the wireless range since my modem box will be inside the utility box. Move the modem or get 1 more new modem?

Read from the start of the thread to the end. u will have a rough idea.

First thing, what is your objective? Cover the whole house with wireless? Very simple solution:

1) Buy Homeplug.

If u are doing gaming, intensive torrenting and streaming, yes, u need to replace all telephone points to data point. PROVIDED your backbone is already pre laid with CAT5e/6. All BTO are laid this way already.

still don't get it? den get the experts to understand ur objective.

grynove

Reaction score

since you are renovating. better do LAN cabbling for whole house.
homeplug only if you really cant do LAN cabling. cheaper and better.

pigmarcher

Reaction score
Is it okay for such layout below ah?

ONT -> Gigabit switch -> LAN ports -> Router

Problem is my ONT device is stuck in an enclosed DB box. If connect the router to it directly, WIFI signal in master bedroom very weak. Even ASUS AC87U doesn't help.

Considering the above layout to put the router in living room.

abstrax

Reaction score

Problem is my ONT device is stuck in an enclosed DB box. If connect the router to it directly, WIFI signal in master bedroom very weak. Even ASUS AC87U doesn't help.

which ISP u subscribe to?

ZigguratZ

Reaction score
sorry a noob question here .. just got a 5 years old resale flat and every room there's a phone jack in every room including the bomb shelter .. so how do I know whether is the phone jack can be used as data access point ?

thanks !

grynove

Reaction score

im also putting my ONT inside the cupboard. u can pull cable to ur preffered location. and install ur router. if u have db box. normally there shud be at least 1 rj45 to ur tv area ?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.