HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

New router needed: RT-AC86U/88U? RT/GT-AC5300?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-11-2019, 04:56 PM   #1

New router needed: RT-AC86U/88U? RT/GT-AC5300?

My min. 6 year old RT-AC1900 from M1 finally died, so I need a new router. After asking in another thread, I think I'll stay with a 802.11ac router instead of an AX one. I settled between the RT-AC86U, RT-AC88U, RT-AC5300, GT-AC5300. Which should I get? I checked online reviews but they're spread across so many different years and firmware versions I'm not sure what's the current state of each router right now. Any inputs? I'm hoping to get one today or tomorrow latest, router's dead since Sunday and my mother is complaining louder and louder ******************

Some background info: I live in a moderate-sized 4-room (~1000 sqft) so I don't need a mesh (people keep suggesting mesh in my other thread. My old router was centrally positioned in the house and there's good enough 5 GHz connection throughout the house, so one is enough).

I use a wired connection to my gaming pc which is also used for 4K video streaming and occasionally heavy file transfer and torrenting (but not constantly on). Every other connection in the house is wireless - laptops, phones, iPads, a smart TV. The heaviest user of my WiFi is the smart TV my parents stream HK and K-dramas with. We had the TV for around half a year and sometimes the videos keep buffering. I'm not sure if the old router's bottlenecking or it's just peak hour congestion. My sis needs a stable connection for work conferencing too. In total, the router is connected to 1 wired desktop and wirelessly to ~10 devices max?

I'm using M1's 1Gbps plan so my guess is that I only really need Gigabit connections on my router, is that right?

So considering the above, which should I get? I don't care for looks, I just want something fast and reliable and not too difficult to setup in order to work smoothly - I work in IT so I know some stuff but networking isn't my area. Price isn't an issue (after looking at the sim lim prices).

btw after researching I keep seeing people mention this merlin thing...after doing a little research I think I'll just stick with the stock firmware. The one on my old AC1900 was good enough so I don't wanna bother fiddling with it in the new router.

Last edited by thegreatjedi; 19-11-2019 at 05:04 PM..
thegreatjedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2019, 05:30 PM   #2
Supremacy Member

At this point of time. Don’t get AC88U or GT-AC5300 le. Take the RT-AC86U or RT-AX88 or GT-AX11000. It’s better. AX88 is better a lot. can consider jumping to AX le. The AX88 rectified and can support WPA3 le, more futureproof also.

Merlin is very easy to flash and given you’re in IT field. Even easier for you. Stay on stock until you really want to flash.

Last edited by kashix; 19-11-2019 at 05:33 PM..
kashix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2019, 05:33 PM   #3

Another thread about the same thing ?
iduncheckmail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2019, 05:56 PM   #4
Supremacy Member

Asus ac86u...
Powerful at a cheaper price
m0n0n0ke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2019, 06:00 PM   #5

At this point of time. Don’t get AC88U or GT-AC5300 le. Take the RT-AC86U or RT-AX88 or GT-AX11000. It’s better. AX88 is better a lot. can consider jumping to AX le. The AX88 rectified and can support WPA3 le, more futureproof also.

I thought about those two AX models, but the AX11000 seems overkill for the current early-adopter price? There's no AX device in my house, I'm the only person in the house who upgrades my stuff every 1-2 years, but only the phone connects to the WiFi...so yeah, not worth the AX11000 price. I saw a thread in HWZ that people have a lot of problems configuring AX88 to work smoothly, esp. with regards to non-AX compatibility. The more I read the thread, the more technical the configuration solutions get, until I don't understand at all. So nope, not worth the trouble too if it's still so buggy currently. I personally expect setting up routers to be not much more difficult than setting up a new printer.

Edit: not sure if you updated your post. So you're saying AX88 is not buggy anymore? But are there still any connection or abnormally slow issues regarding non-AX devices?

Last edited by thegreatjedi; 19-11-2019 at 06:03 PM..
Old 19-11-2019, 06:05 PM   #6

Another thread about the same thing ?
No, prev. thread was asking if AX is worth it right now. This thread is asking which of these AC routers I should get.
Old 19-11-2019, 07:15 PM   #7
Supremacy Member

I thought about those two AX models, but the AX11000 seems overkill for the current early-adopter price? There's no AX device in my house, I'm the only person in the house who upgrades my stuff every 1-2 years, but only the phone connects to the WiFi...so yeah, not worth the AX11000 price. I saw a thread in HWZ that people have a lot of problems configuring AX88 to work smoothly, esp. with regards to non-AX compatibility. The more I read the thread, the more technical the configuration solutions get, until I don't understand at all. So nope, not worth the trouble too if it's still so buggy currently. I personally expect setting up routers to be not much more difficult than setting up a new printer.

Edit: not sure if you updated your post. So you're saying AX88 is not buggy anymore? But are there still any connection or abnormally slow issues regarding non-AX devices?
AX88 my usage no bugs at all leh ... mainly is user problem lol ...

Asus ac86u...
Powerful at a cheaper price
+1 to this. Good value to performance.

kashix is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.