News: HUBSTATION

tally17

Reaction score
seem like a good deal

I was just thinking of recontracting my snbb to 1mpbs. thought this hubstation is a much better deal....any thing we need to be aware of? is there any catch?

If not, I am flying off to get one asap liao!

thanks to the thread starter for sharing this info with us.

lenney

Master Member
Reaction score
tally17 said:
I was just thinking of recontracting my snbb to 1mpbs. thought this hubstation is a much better deal....any thing we need to be aware of? is there any catch?

If not, I am flying off to get one asap liao!

thanks to the thread starter for sharing this info with us.

Pay 30+ for 1Mbps ...... oh that sound expensive. :D
Maybe pay $600 for the DVR and get free 1Mbps is a better deal.
BTW, how much does that DVR worth?

muilick

Reaction score

May think of enjoying this free service provided by HubStation and discontinue the Maxonline next month. The speedtest result was obtained after connecting to a LINKSYS wireless router. It appears that 1Mbps is easier to achieve.

muilick

Reaction score
lenney said:
Pay 30+ for 1Mbps ...... oh that sound expensive. :D
Maybe pay $600 for the DVR and get free 1Mbps is a better deal.
BTW, how much does that DVR worth?

Not only to attract the Singnet subscribers with 1 Mbps plan but also to retain the Starhub subscribers who are about to switch to Singnet. It looks that you still have a saving of $ ( 30x24 - 560 ) =$160 over a period of two years..

liangtam

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Enishi said:
if buy the hubstation @ $560, no need to sign cable tv and also able to use the free internet.

the T&Cs are only if take up the hubstation @ $285 with 24mths contract.
Shld consider it as $600(!!) with 80cent change when you count in GST :D

Last edited:

liangtam

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Dun think they rly wan u to switch over from the paid to the free plan leh. Anyone tested if the connection comes with dynamic IP allocation and no incoming port block? Incoming port block cannot host games, cam etc wor.
Free service till Dec 2008, like 1 yr 4months + only.

pLayb0y

Reaction score
seowbin said:
but the lag quite high :(

if it happens on singtel with iptv + free internet access(1mbp or 512 enough liao) i will get... for voip purpose :s13:

i've tried wow, bf2142, wc3 and grenado espada, all no lag leh...
i think user problem

muilick

Reaction score
The earlier post was just a quick estimation. The more exact calculation should be $( 33.63 x 24 - 560 ) x 1.07 = $ (247.12 x 1.07 ) = $ 264.42.
Splitter is used for Cable TV and Maxonline. Firmware has been updated to version 1.19. The signal strength of Cable TV can be maintained at 61% with quality of signal at 100%.
Simultaneous usage of two services at one cable point with a splitter is not that bad with Hubstation. Result tested around 0210 am, off-peak hour.

Last edited:

megaweb

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Enishi said:
if buy the hubstation @ $560, no need to sign cable tv and also able to use the free internet.

the T&Cs are only if take up the hubstation @ $285 with 24mths contract.

Sorry sound a bit silly. Why pay $560 for 1M broadband till end of 2008 ?

megaweb

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Actually I want to upgrade to Hubstation plan due to the following
- able to record channels
- free 1 M broadband, if the speed is good, I may terminate my ADSL
- dun apply for digital voice as I do not call much

Future plan
- Get a LCD TV with PC input. Install my PC and I can surf Internet in the living hall.
- Get DVD recorder without HD. I can burn Hubstation channels into DVD.

muilick

Reaction score
megaweb said:
Sorry sound a bit silly. Why pay $560 for 1M broadband till end of 2008 ?
Do not forget the main function and the benefits of Smart TV. The 1Mbps broadband is an extra bonus to the existing Starhub subscribers with Smart TV. They nay consider to terminate the MOL if they just want to receive emails and do light surfing.

chongwee

Reaction score
Starhub possible future upgrade?

Starhub should have a browser interface built into SmartTV for internet surfing since internet connection with SmartTV is already free. Then there is no need to hook up a computer to surf the net. It should be possible since they already provide free interface for chat and SMS on the SmartTV. Moreover, the SmartTV remote control has a full keyboard on its flipside. That will be so good and convenient!

redhouse

Reaction score
What if you are already a maxonline subscriber? Can you use the hubstation as your maxonline modem? If cant, does that mean you will have 2 internet lines?

richneo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
megaweb said:
Actually I want to upgrade to Hubstation plan due to the following
- able to record channels
- free 1 M broadband, if the speed is good, I may terminate my ADSL
- dun apply for digital voice as I do not call much

Future plan
- Get a LCD TV with PC input. Install my PC and I can surf Internet in the living hall.
- Get DVD recorder without HD. I can burn Hubstation channels into DVD.

DVD recorder for PC or..?

if its for pc i doubt u can do recording of the channels into dvd direct without doing a video capture on ur pc before burning over.

i might be wrong thou... :s34:

megaweb

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
richneo said:
DVD recorder for PC or..?

if its for pc i doubt u can do recording of the channels into dvd direct without doing a video capture on ur pc before burning over.

i might be wrong thou... :s34:
No. Record SH channel to Smart TV. Playback the SH channel and record to DVD recorder.

dl4akb

Reaction score
How does the phone line in the hunstation work? Is it just an additional adapter connected to the LAN port? Or is there an analogue voice port like in the surfboard modems? Considering renewing Cable with the Hubstation, canceling Maxonline and possibly subscribe separately to digital voice (have the voice modem already)... Should save around 50% of costs/month :).

liangtam

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
chongwee said:
Starhub possible future upgrade?

Starhub should have a browser interface built into SmartTV for internet surfing since internet connection with SmartTV is already free. Then there is no need to hook up a computer to surf the net. It should be possible since they already provide free interface for chat and SMS on the SmartTV. Moreover, the SmartTV remote control has a full keyboard on its flipside. That will be so good and convenient!
Their FAQ says otherwise, and thus no internet surfing on TV.

megaweb

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
dl4akb said:
How does the phone line in the hunstation work? Is it just an additional adapter connected to the LAN port? Or is there an analogue voice port like in the surfboard modems? Considering renewing Cable with the Hubstation, canceling Maxonline and possibly subscribe separately to digital voice (have the voice modem already)... Should save around 50% of costs/month :).

There should be a RJ11 telephone socket behind the Hubstation for digital voice. Plug in your analog phone to this socket.

richneo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
you have to get the IAD and connect to the RJ45 port in order to make benefit of the phone call

iirc there are NO RJ11 port behind the dvr

dl4akb

Reaction score
richneo said:
iirc there are NO RJ11 port behind the dvr
Yep, thats also what I would expect, otherwise why need the adapter or the softphone application. So I'll stick with the old voice modem....

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.