Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Pros and Cons of manual assigned and DHCP (static) assigned IP addresses

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TanKianW

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-05-2020, 10:23 AM   #1
Arch-Supremacy Member

Arrow Pros and Cons of manual assigned and DHCP (static) assigned IP addresses

Can someone enlighten me about the features and benefits of using manual assigned DHCP IP to each connected devices on my router settings?
Old 22-05-2020, 10:39 AM   #2
Master Member

Save you the hassle to configure static IPs on each PC/machine? Just let the DHCP handle and issue static IPs. Static IPs can be use for PC which you need to frequently forward ports, like a gaming pc, network printers, NAS, etc.
mrkiasu likes this.
TanKianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2020, 10:55 AM   #3

There would be improved security if you make use of mac address filtering and static ip assignment. If the wireless network is compromised, i.e. somebody managed to connect to the wifi network.. it can't get an ip address to be able to roam in the network.

By doing so, it makes it hard to plug and play in the future.
giraffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2020, 11:10 AM   #4
Arch-Supremacy Member

There would be improved security if you make use of mac address filtering and static ip assignment. If the wireless network is compromised, i.e. somebody managed to connect to the wifi network.. it can't get an ip address to be able to roam in the network.

By doing so, it makes it hard to plug and play in the future.
Will it be better for my smart IOT devices? I just tried assigning IP address to each of my smart devices, hopefully it will reduce lag (between pressing on, on my phone and smart device turning on).

So assigning Static IP to each of my devices in my network is ideal? I do not have any NAS or big projects.
Old 22-05-2020, 11:24 AM   #5

Will it be better for my smart IOT devices? I just tried assigning IP address to each of my smart devices, hopefully it will reduce lag (between pressing on, on my phone and smart device turning on).

So assigning Static IP to each of my devices in my network is ideal? I do not have any NAS or big projects.
difference would be minimal in a home environment. Unlikely it would improve lag, as this is largely dependent on the IOT devices itself (i.e. on how it is designed), and also the wifi quality (which is something that you can look at).
Old 22-05-2020, 11:34 AM   #6
Arch-Supremacy Member

difference would be minimal in a home environment. Unlikely it would improve lag, as this is largely dependent on the IOT devices itself (i.e. on how it is designed), and also the wifi quality (which is something that you can look at).
thank you, I'll try to monitor. Also assigning Static IP, is it prone to security attacks (if your device isn't security protected)?. Because it's static and not dynamic changed.
Old 22-05-2020, 11:56 AM   #7
Arch-Supremacy Member

For NAS, Ip camera and AP I will set static ip so that is easy to access and troubleshoot. Don't want those device ip address change whenever i reboot the router.

For laptop and desktop no diff unless u perform port forwarding.
magix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2020, 11:58 AM   #8

thank you, I'll try to monitor. Also assigning Static IP, is it prone to security attacks (if your device isn't security protected)?. Because it's static and not dynamic changed.
hmm.. this would be a bigger concern:

Most IOT devices are already leveraging the vendor's application/servers (as the controller). Your network/devices would be already at risk of exposure. (e.g. if using a Xiaomi Camera, you would need to use a XiaoMi app (which the controller is managed by Xiaomi). If the app/servers on Xiaomi is already compromised, your XiaoMi camera are already vulnerable.)
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.