LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-07-2018, 11:00 AM   #16
Supremacy Member

The differenc3 to me not really much
FireHobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2018, 11:36 AM   #17
Arch-Supremacy Member

if 5 devices on wireless ac, will 500mbps works
It will work but it will be slower a bit like around 100Mbps because for wifi the limit is about 400 to 500 Mbps if all the devices are good. I am referring to the normal AC standard. For further new standard the speed will be faster a bit in the near future.
Henry Ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2018, 01:12 PM   #18
Supremacy Member

Check with the customer service, relocation charges are $60 and $120 for M1 and starhub respectively. there's a chance I might shift. but m1 got registration fee of $60.

Btw, there's a pc show in early Sep. Is there a chance the registration fee will be waived? Or got some freebies or promo during that time?
Would suggest to sign-up when you are moving to new flat.

Usually there would not have any waiver on relocation charges as this involved NetLink Trust & ISP.

Beside consideration on registration fee there is activation fee for new sign-up.
Either may be waived as this depend on promotion and ISP, but unlikely.

When my recontract was due and happened was ready to move to new flat soon.
What i did was recontract/sign-up to new flat as there are no additional charges, whatsoever.
eric3743 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2018, 01:25 PM   #19
Supremacy Member

if 5 devices on wireless ac, will 500mbps works
For 500mbps plan means that your gateway (ONT) for all devices at that point can have connection up to 500mbps.. shared among all devices.

If all the wireless clients are actively uploading & downloading at the same time each wireless clients may have different connection speed.
But in total it cannot be exceed 500mbps.

Each wireless clients, unless all same models, may not be able to achieve 500mbps or even 300mbps, unless with latest/high-end models.

To put it this way, non of these wireless clients may even achieved close to 100mbps as streaming may need about 25mbps max depend on resolution.
Even surfing do not reached that high connection speed.
super365 likes this.
eric3743 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2018, 01:54 PM   #20
Supremacy Member

For 500mbps plan means that your gateway (ONT) for all devices at that point can have connection up to 500mbps.. shared among all devices.

If all the wireless clients are actively uploading & downloading at the same time each wireless clients may have different connection speed.

Each wireless clients, unless all same models, may not be able to achieve 500mbps or even 300mbps, unless with latest/high-end models.

To put it this way, non of these wireless clients may even achieved close to 100mbps as streaming may need about 25mbps max depend on resolution.
Agree much
alex22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2018, 09:57 AM   #21
Arch-Supremacy Member

Agree. For wireless no point getting 1Gbps.
super365 likes this.
Henry Ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2020, 04:02 PM   #22
High Supremacy Member

Agree. For wireless no point getting 1Gbps.
for wired its worth it . cos u see nowadays routers like Asus come with USB port for plugging in devices directly to download stuff like torrent or files inside the router. WHich mean direct wired connection . in that case 500 mbs will be slower by half time vs 1GBPS. Correct me if i am wrong.
MoyoCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2020, 04:21 PM   #23

for wired its worth it . cos u see nowadays routers like Asus come with USB port for plugging in devices directly to download stuff like torrent or files inside the router. WHich mean direct wired connection . in that case 500 mbs will be slower by half time vs 1GBPS. Correct me if i am wrong.
Download speeds are often dependent on the remote server. The remote server either limits the download speed per connection or it also has a network speed limitation (considering that the servers are also accessed by many others).

1gbps would probably be more useful if there are a number of high bandwidth users/devices.
giraffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2020, 04:44 PM   #24
Supremacy Member

what's the speed you could achieve using the router's downloader tool?
Old 03-07-2020, 01:54 PM   #25
Arch-Supremacy Member

Given our experience with work from home and home-based learning, if everyone is doing online video calls, then I think 1 Gbps is definitely worth it lar... many families have to stream video calls for father and mother at work, then 2 kids with online lessons... pretty taxing since most of the devices would be on wifi... hence having more headroom might be helpful as long as the router can support higher speed wifi access.
Teo Ming Ern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 02:50 PM   #26

Given our experience with work from home and home-based learning, if everyone is doing online video calls, then I think 1 Gbps is definitely worth it lar... many families have to stream video calls for father and mother at work, then 2 kids with online lessons... pretty taxing since most of the devices would be on wifi... hence having more headroom might be helpful as long as the router can support higher speed wifi access.
More like bottleneck is with the Wifi setup and not the 500mbps/1gbps uplink
-Grift- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 10:21 AM   #27
Supremacy Member

One good thing about using 500Mbps is it us easy to saturate the link with wireless connection, using a decent AC router or cheap WiFi 6 routers.

On the other hand, it was not easy to saturate the 1Gbps link with wireless AC routers previously, as majority of the clients are only 2*2 80MHz with the theoretical max speed of 867Mbps and lower practical speed of around 500-600Mbps at close range with a good router. Now with WiFi 6 clients being more common (AX wireless adapters are inexpensive for PC and Laptop) and the cost of WiFi 6 AX routers going down, it is finally not difficult to get 800Mbps+ speed. So 1Gbps is kind of finally "worth" it in this aspect.

On the other hand, this 500Mbps or 1Gbps speed refers to the internet speed, not your internal network. Majority of the server's, especially outside Singapore, can not sustain 500Mbps anyway. So 500Mbps is more value for money in this aspect. And take note streaming 4K UHD Netflix only needs 25Mbps, so you are unlikely to saturate the 500Mbps bandwidth with working from home plus home based learning. The issues are not really with the 500Mbps plan, but rather with the home network setup or the servers (Zoom, Skype, Google Meets, Microsoft Teams, company VPN servers, etc).

As for within the home network, there is no issues to use AX routers to get faster wireless connection speed with the home (800Mbps+) with 500Mbps plan, for example, to get fast speed from the NAS, because you are dealing with the intranet or internal network here.
xiaofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 10:33 AM   #28
Supremacy Member

For myself, I did not see much differences after upgrading from SingTel 500Mbps to 1Gbps.

On the other hand, for people downloading a lot of stuffs from the internet (eg: large Linux ISO files from fast mirror severs), 1Gbps may still be worth it.

Same for people with lots of devices connecting to the internet, or running some types of servers from home network, 1Gbps plan or higher plan may be worth it.

In particular 1+1Gbps plan may be good for people who want to have a high speed 1Gbps dedicated connection to the PC and then the other 1Gbps to the rest of devices.

Last edited by xiaofan; 04-07-2020 at 10:40 AM..
xiaofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.