HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Recommendation for dual band repeater?

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-07-2020, 10:22 PM   #1

Recommendation for dual band repeater?

Hi experts - my current router is not good enough to reach my helper's room. Thus, I am intending to buy this: D-Link Dap-1320.

1) Is this model good?

2) The description says it is an extender. But should I be getting a repeater instead if I want to have the same router SSID and password?

Thank you.
snorex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2020, 11:16 PM   #2

From my own limited experience.

Do consider to just get the ISP router from carousell and use it as Access Point (AP), if you are able to used wired backhaul. You can set to use the same SSID & password.

The range and overall wifi speed for Repeater/Extender can be very small & slow.
hellgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2020, 01:24 AM   #3

From my own limited experience.

Do consider to just get the ISP router from carousell and use it as Access Point (AP), if you are able to used wired backhaul. You can set to use the same SSID & password.

The range and overall wifi speed for Repeater/Extender can be very small & slow.
Thanks. I have tried configuring the M1 ASUS router using the Pavadan firmware but failed miserably. Is there an ISP router that can easily be configured as an Access Point? Thanks.
Old 19-07-2020, 01:35 AM   #4

Have you tried to use the default firmware? Before trying Pavadan firmware.

Rightfully, should be quite straightforward setting change only.

*I do not have a M1 ASUS router, just using my own experience.
hellgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2020, 01:42 AM   #5

Thanks. I have tried configuring the M1 ASUS router using the Pavadan firmware but failed miserably. Is there an ISP router that can easily be configured as an Access Point? Thanks.
which Asus model did you use?

for AC series onwards, generally, the AP mode was built in.

if it is the RT-AC1200G+, from memory, you can change the default router mode to Access Point mode.
Same for the RT-AC56U

i've not handled the RT-AC2600, but no reason to believe they removed the AP mode.
I believe the RT-AC56S should also have the AP mode, but not sure on that specific model.

most isp routers can be configured as AP.

if no AP mode, connect via lan port, disable dhcp on the router to be ap (will refer to it as the ap), then assign to the ap, an unused ip address in the same subnet as the main router but outside of its dhcp scope.

set the wireless channels. may need to check for congestion and overlap with the main router and neighbours.

your choice of setting same or different ssid and password (for the bands within the ap, and also with the main router). personally i prefer different as it is easier to troubleshoot.

save settings. you may need to reboot. after that, wire up the ap via the lan port back to the lan port of the main router (or switch, if one is used). after that, you are good to go.

edit: dug into my box of stuff. I used a D-Link DAP-1665 AP in my old house. sadly, it got damaged during the move. It's almost plug and play. just connect, log in, set static ip (easier for future configuration), set ssid and password, channels, and done.

quite cheap on carousell too.

Last edited by loganrunning; 19-07-2020 at 04:44 AM..
loganrunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2020, 08:56 PM   #6

which Asus model did you use?

for AC series onwards, generally, the AP mode was built in.

if it is the RT-AC1200G+, from memory, you can change the default router mode to Access Point mode.
Same for the RT-AC56U

i've not handled the RT-AC2600, but no reason to believe they removed the AP mode.
I believe the RT-AC56S should also have the AP mode, but not sure on that specific model.

most isp routers can be configured as AP.

if no AP mode, connect via lan port, disable dhcp on the router to be ap (will refer to it as the ap), then assign to the ap, an unused ip address in the same subnet as the main router but outside of its dhcp scope.

set the wireless channels. may need to check for congestion and overlap with the main router and neighbours.

your choice of setting same or different ssid and password (for the bands within the ap, and also with the main router). personally i prefer different as it is easier to troubleshoot.

save settings. you may need to reboot. after that, wire up the ap via the lan port back to the lan port of the main router (or switch, if one is used). after that, you are good to go.

edit: dug into my box of stuff. I used a D-Link DAP-1665 AP in my old house. sadly, it got damaged during the move. It's almost plug and play. just connect, log in, set static ip (easier for future configuration), set ssid and password, channels, and done.

quite cheap on carousell too.
Thanks for the lengthy reply. I was given RT-N56U by M1. I called Asus and they confirmed that it cannot do repeater mode, hence I had to use Pavadan and failed to set it up.

Are there any cheap deals going on for routers that can be configured as AP mode?

Thanks
Old 19-07-2020, 09:41 PM   #7

Thanks for the lengthy reply. I was given RT-N56U by M1. I called Asus and they confirmed that it cannot do repeater mode, hence I had to use Pavadan and failed to set it up.

Are there any cheap deals going on for routers that can be configured as AP mode?

Thanks
u r welcome.

almost any mid-range model and above will work. if it is just as an AP, the RT-AC1200G+ works fine. I picked up a few for friends and relatives on carousell, below $20 each. there are other brands and models for about the same or lower price, that will also do, but i mention Asus since you are already familiar with the menu system.

if you are familiar with Asus, the RT-AC56U and above have a setting in "Administration" to change the mode to "AP". Not sure about the RT-AC56S though, have not used it before.

assuming you have already set up the router:
at the main page, on the lower left, click on "Administration"
select "Access Point (AP)"
set the security settings which follow.

once saved, connect as follows:
Main router LAN <---> AP WAN port

this video shows it better than i can write: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dG3uzfwL-MM

hope this helps
snorex likes this.
Old 19-07-2020, 10:39 PM   #8

Padavan firmware can set to bridge mode, but n56u is very old, unless you only want to use the lan ports in bridge mode. Might as well spend $5-$15 and get second hand 868l, ea7500 or ac56s etc
AMAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2020, 10:04 PM   #9

once saved, connect as follows:
Main router LAN <---> AP WAN port
Thanks! May I know if it is possible for the existing router (TP Link) to not be connected via lan to new router (RT-AC56U)? My intention is to have this.

1. M1 Modem to TP Link router (via LAN)
2. TP Link router to RT-AC56U (via Wireless)
3. RT-AC56U to Helper's room (via Wireless)

Thanks

Last edited by snorex; 20-07-2020 at 10:07 PM..
Old 20-07-2020, 10:16 PM   #10

Thanks! May I know if it is possible for the existing router (TP Link) to not be connected via lan to new router (RT-AC56U)? My intention is to have this.

Thanks
Use wds lo on asus
leowweiqi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2020, 12:07 AM   #11

Use wds lo on asus
Thanks.

The above posters had mentioned the following models.
1. RT-AC1200G+
2. RT-AC56U
3. RT-AC56S
4. 868l
5. ea7500
6. ac56s

Do any of these have this wds feature you are referring to? Otherwise, would you mind recommending me a decently priced model that I can easily configure?

Thanks.
Old 21-07-2020, 01:38 AM   #12

Thanks
sorry for late reply, was out whole day.

yes, WDS as one bro recommended.
i am partial to wire though, avoids many problems.
Old 21-07-2020, 01:53 AM   #13

Thanks.

1. RT-AC1200G+
2. RT-AC56U
3. RT-AC56S
4. 868l
5. ea7500
6. ac56s

Do any of these have this wds feature you are referring to? Otherwise, would you mind recommending me a decently priced model that I can easily configure?

Thanks.
can't swear it, but i recall seeing it on RT-AC1200G+ and RT-AC56U.
either didn't see it on the others (doesn't mean it's not there, means i may not have noticed as i was not looking for it lol), or have not used them.

not able to run cable? just asking
Old 21-07-2020, 09:19 AM   #14

Thanks.

1. RT-AC1200G+
2. RT-AC56U
3. RT-AC56S
4. 868l
5. ea7500
6. ac56s

Thanks.
Asus wds very troublesome to setup, need to put in mac address, channel number in both primay and secondary routers. (for 1200g+)

Ac56u and ac56s has repeater mode, good and easy to set up, so does ea7500 or 8100. dlink 868l a bit tricky when setting up repeater mode
AMAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2020, 10:22 AM   #15

Asus wds very troublesome to setup, need to put in mac address, channel number in both primay and secondary routers. (for 1200g+)

Ac56u and ac56s has repeater mode, good and easy to set up, so does ea7500 or 8100. dlink 868l a bit tricky when setting up repeater mode
lol the mac entry method is the bridge method.

anyway, the 868l, if i remember, has a "auto zone" mode, which is not mesh, but tries to give a seamless wifi roaming. i haven't tried it though. i think it was also mentioned in the starhub thread.

edit: correction. found it here: https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/i...499216-13.html

Last edited by loganrunning; 21-07-2020 at 10:26 AM..
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.