HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Router for 5 room hdb

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-04-2018, 04:25 PM   #16

Thanks, this is the layout of the house:

The router is placed in the living room, almost at the North-West extreme corner of the layout. Actually there is no balcony, I dont know why it says balcony. That is also where the TV and the fibre termination point is placed. I also use a roku device connected to the TV and the router placed near the TV helps roku with streaming seamlessly. Roku connects only 2.4Ghz, cannot connect to 5Ghz

The bad signal is mostly in the master bedroom and bedroom 3.

The router is placed in the open on top of the TV cabinet next to the TV, not inside the cabinet.
No wonder you have bad signals as there are too many walls in between bedroom 3 + the master bedroom and the router. You could use any of the options I have advised earlier and see how. You do not necessary have to put an Access point in the master bedroom if you are diy-ing lan cables yourself. It will do as well if you are able to put an access point in the common corridor of the bedrooms(outside wc 1).
LoneTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2018, 06:15 PM   #17
Master Member

No wonder you have bad signals as there are too many walls in between bedroom 3 + the master bedroom and the router. You could use any of the options I have advised earlier and see how. You do not necessary have to put an Access point in the master bedroom if you are diy-ing lan cables yourself. It will do as well if you are able to put an access point in the common corridor of the bedrooms(outside wc 1).
Thanks. I just got a good deal on DIR 868L and RT N15HP. The DIR 868L will replace the N56U and my guess is that should improve things as it is a better router. If thing dont improve, I will then use the RT N15HP as a repeater. I am reluctant at this point to run LAN cables or bring a more expensive mesh like setup. I will update you guys tonight. Thanks a ton!
revhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2018, 09:12 PM   #18
Supremacy Member

I will advise to use your old N56U as repeater instead of N15HP?--never see such model, do you mean N14UHP? either way, these N1x models are bgn--2.4GHz; the speed is severely limited, you will get less than 100Mbps, most likely ~50Mbps.

The N56U is a abgn dual band router, it has 5GHz radio. most wireless device sold in last few years are dual band. With 5GHz, the 11n can transmit ~100Mbps in real world.

high power antenna is for outdoor uses, in crowded resident area, the problem is radio interference. these HP signal only add more interference to your neighbour and won't solve your low signal issue. Try Multiple router/AP connected with wire--because wireless connection between them will also be interfered or placing the router centrally. Like mentioned above, using 5GHz radio will likely solve your problem as 2.4Ghz is overcrowded, you only have to use a wifi scanner/analyzer app is see for yourself.

With dual band router/AP, you can use one band/radio to receive the signal from the main router than use the other to serve the client devices. N56U with Padavan firmware can be used as repeater, read ASUS RT-N56U as secondary router in wireless bridge - Possible?
limcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2018, 09:17 PM   #19
Master Member

I will advise to use your old N56U as repeater instead of N15HP?--never see such model, do you mean N14UHP? either way, these N1x models are bgn--2.4GHz; the speed is severely limited, you will get less than 100Mbps, most likely ~50Mbps.

The N56U is a abgn dual band router, it has 5GHz radio. most wireless device sold in last few years are dual band. With 5GHz, the 11n can transmit ~100Mbps in real world.

high power antenna is for outdoor uses, in crowded resident area, the problem is radio interference. these HP signal only add more interference to your neighbour and won't solve your low signal issue. Try Multiple router/AP connected with wire--because wireless connection between them will also be interfered or placing the router centrally. Like mentioned above, using 5GHz radio will likely solve your problem as 2.4Ghz is overcrowded, you only have to use a wifi scanner/analyzer app is see for yourself.

With dual band router/AP, you can use one band/radio to receive the signal from the main router than use the other to serve the client devices. N56U with Padavan firmware can be used as repeater, read ASUS RT-N56U as secondary router in wireless bridge - Possible?
Thanks, sorry it is N12HP.

Sent from Xiaomi REDMI NOTE 4 using GAGT
Old 16-04-2018, 09:20 PM   #20
Master Member

Hi guys, just to update. I replaced the N56U with 868L and the result is amazing. In the extreme end of the main bedroom and bedroom 3, I get around 20-30mbps compared to 1 or 2 Mbps with N56U. This is on 2.4g. 5g doesn't reach the bedrooms with this router as well. Anyways, I am happy with this setup for now. I will monitor it for a few days.

Last edited by revhappy; 16-04-2018 at 09:23 PM..
Old 16-04-2018, 09:31 PM   #21

Hi guys, just to update. I replaced the N56U with 868L and the result is amazing. In the extreme end of the main bedroom and bedroom 3, I get around 20-30mbps compared to 1 or 2 Mbps with N56U. This is on 2.4g. 5g doesn't reach the bedrooms with this router as well. Anyways, I am happy with this setup for now. I will monitor it for a few days.

i suppose 20Mbps is better than 1-2...I would be very sad if I could only get those speeds in my own room
dryteletubby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2018, 09:49 PM   #22
Master Member

i suppose 20Mbps is better than 1-2...I would be very sad if I could only get those speeds in my own room
Haha, yes, I will monitor for a few days and if I find lag or disconnections, then I will try setting up a wireless repeater.

Last edited by revhappy; 16-04-2018 at 09:53 PM..
Old 16-04-2018, 09:51 PM   #23
Master Member

Thanks for info about using N56U as a repeater. I didnt know N56U can be used as a wireless repeater. This will be an interesting project.
Old 16-04-2018, 10:12 PM   #24

Haha, yes, I will monitor for a few days and if I find lag or disconnections, then I will try setting up a wireless repeater.
No harm trying but I think you might find the speeds to be achieved with repeater is lesser than 20-30mpbs.
LoneTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2018, 07:54 AM   #25
Master Member

Hello guys, the joy didn't last for too long. As I connected couple of more devices, the speed has dropped considerably and now it is worse than my original N56U. I don't get any reception in my bedrooms.

I tried to see what caused this and I think the devices are connecting to a lower speed for some reason. The 5g is connecting to 150mbps and 2.4g to 72mbps. Screenshot below. Restarting router and disconnecting couple of devices also didn't help.

The devices are my redmi note 4 on 5g and another Mi A1 on 2.4g and Roku also on 2.4g.

Last edited by revhappy; 17-04-2018 at 07:57 AM..
Old 17-04-2018, 08:21 AM   #26
Supremacy Member

its a common problem if you live in hdb. your upstair, downstairs, left and right nrighbours, and opposite blocks all use wifi and interferes. set up the second one as repeater, nowadays need 2 router instead of 1. use 20mhz instead of 40mhz channel width for less interference

not the case when I used wireless b in 2002

Last edited by yusoffb01; 17-04-2018 at 08:24 AM..
yusoffb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2018, 10:47 AM   #27
Master Member

Hi limcc, I noticed that the DIR 868L can be setup as a repeater out of the box. Hence I am considering using the N56U as the main router and the 868L as the repeater. What do you think?

Old 17-04-2018, 12:16 PM   #28
Arch-Supremacy Member

My house has the same layout as you.

I've placed my main router in the living room and wifi repeater/extender in the corridor so that all bedrooms can receive better signal.

This is using N56U as main and TP-link extender in the corridor. So you should have the same results.

Last edited by shin89; 17-04-2018 at 12:20 PM..
shin89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2018, 12:41 PM   #29

You may setup this DIR-868L as a wireless Bridge, bring it to another location and connect wirelessly or wired to other PC. You may then compare them both.

I find that the wireless Bridge setup and wired connect its LAN port to a PC has a better speed.

Hi limcc, I noticed that the DIR 868L can be setup as a repeater out of the box. Hence I am considering using the N56U as the main router and the 868L as the repeater. What do you think?

hk7310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2018, 12:49 PM   #30
Master Member

You may setup this DIR-868L as a wireless Bridge, bring it to another location and connect wirelessly or wired to other PC. You may then compare them both.

I find that the wireless Bridge setup and wired connect its LAN port to a PC has a better speed.
Thanks. I read that wireless repeater performance is bad because it uses single band for both recieving and transmitting. Even dual band router repeaters, may not necessarily receive on one band and transmit on other. Most of them just receive and transmit each of the bands so you get 50% on 2.4g and 50% on 5g.

An idea I have is to have a wired bridge and then use the LAN output and connect it to a 3rd access point. This way there won't be 50% loss. But not sure if this will just complicate things too much.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.