HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Router for 5 room hdb

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-04-2018, 11:15 AM   #1
Master Member

Router for 5 room hdb

Hello guys,

We just moved to a 5 room HDB and the router we have is cheap asus N56U. It is placed at one corner of the house and our bedroom is at the other end. The speed reduced from 100 Mbps near the router to almost 2-3mbps in the bedrooms with 2.5ghz.

Would buying a longer range router help? I see very cheap routers for sale on carousel. Mostly d link routers those sold by starhub. Dir 868L and dir 655. Would these perform better?

Also will these starhub routers work with M1?

Sent from Xiaomi REDMI NOTE 4 using GAGT
revhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2018, 11:21 AM   #2

2 routers with one acting as AP is better than just one router. The d-link 868l is available used on carousell for under $20. Long range routers is not a thing. WiFi has to comply with regulations which makes most routers range anout the same compared to each other. To expand range you can use another router as AP or if you can't run ethernet cables then get a mesh router

Last edited by dryteletubby; 16-04-2018 at 11:40 AM..
dryteletubby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2018, 11:23 AM   #3
Arch-Supremacy Member

have you tried switching to the 5Ghz band? sometimes the speed degrades due to wifi congestion.
Montoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2018, 11:57 AM   #4

If you moved to new BTO with data points in the bedrooms, just buy a cheap router and use as access point using ethernet. Problem solved.
LoneTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2018, 12:03 PM   #5
Master Member

2 routers with one acting as AP is better than just one router. The d-link 868l is available used on carousell for under $20. Long range routers is not a thing. WiFi has to comply with regulations which makes most routers range anout the same compared to each other. To expand range you can use another router as AP or if you can't run ethernet cables then get a mesh router
Thanks. I am a newbie with this stuff. So by AP do you mean, connect a LAN cable from the router's LAN output and run the cable to closer to bedroom and then connect it to the WAN port of second router and use that WiFi when in bedroom? In this case there will be 2 separate SSIDs or can there be a single SSID for both the main router and the AP?

But then I could just simply run a LAN cable from the M1 OTN output to closer to the center of the house and place the router there and this will have better coverage to whole house.

Last edited by revhappy; 16-04-2018 at 12:09 PM..
Old 16-04-2018, 12:05 PM   #6
Master Member

If you moved to new BTO with data points in the bedrooms, just buy a cheap router and use as access point using ethernet. Problem solved.
Hi, no it is an old 20 year old flat.

Old 16-04-2018, 12:06 PM   #7
Master Member

have you tried switching to the 5Ghz band? sometimes the speed degrades due to wifi congestion.
Hi, the 5ghz doesn't reach the bedroom. 2.5ghz just about manages to reach.

Old 16-04-2018, 12:12 PM   #8

Hi, the 5ghz doesn't reach the bedroom. 2.5ghz just about manages to reach.

In that case, instead of having physical LAN cable running on the floor, you might want to consider setting up via MESH units.
kapitansg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2018, 12:17 PM   #9

Thanks. I am a newbie with this stuff. So by AP do you mean, connect a LAN cable from the router's LAN output and run the cable to closer to bedroom and then connect it to the WAN port of second router and use that WiFi when in bedroom? In this case there will be 2 separate SSIDs or can there be a single SSID for both the main router and the AP?

But then I could just simply run a LAN cable from the M1 OTN output to closer to the center of the house and place the router there and this will have better coverage to whole house.

I think for most routers to work as AP you will connect the LAN cable from your main router to its LAN port. You can put the same ssid for both routers.

One router in the centre of the house may work if there is not too much obstruction
dryteletubby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2018, 12:57 PM   #10
Master Member

I think for most routers to work as AP you will connect the LAN cable from your main router to its LAN port. You can put the same ssid for both routers.

One router in the centre of the house may work if there is not too much obstruction
Thanks. How about high power antenna router like this one

https://www.asus.com/sg/Networking/RTN12HP/

I am trying to optimize cost and also try to avoid long cables, if possible.

Old 16-04-2018, 01:18 PM   #11

I see. Maybe you might want to consider showing us a layout of your flat and forumers here might be able to give you better advice.

Or you could consider
1.running lan cables to the room or a central location of the flat. Depending on your renovations, you could hide the cables in the existing trunking around your flat.
2.moca.
3.powerline
4. Mesh unit using wireless backhaul if option 1 is out of the question though it might be more expensive than option 1.

Last edited by LoneTraveller; 16-04-2018 at 01:21 PM..
Old 16-04-2018, 01:24 PM   #12

Thanks. How about high power antenna router like this one

https://www.asus.com/sg/Networking/RTN12HP/

I am trying to optimize cost and also try to avoid long cables, if possible.

Or you could consider putting your existing router out of any cabinets and into the open whereby the signals might be stronger and able to reach your room. You could also consider increasing the power of your router signals but a lot also depends on the client devices you are using as Internet connections is dependent on both router and client devices ability to recieve and transmit.
Old 16-04-2018, 01:51 PM   #13
Master Member

I see. Maybe you might want to consider showing us a layout of your flat and forumers here might be able to give you better advice.

Or you could consider
1.running lan cables to the room or a central location of the flat. Depending on your renovations, you could hide the cables in the existing trunking around your flat.
2.moca.
3.powerline
4. Mesh unit using wireless backhaul if option 1 is out of the question though it might be more expensive than option 1.

Thanks, this is the layout of the house:

The router is placed in the living room, almost at the North-West extreme corner of the layout. Actually there is no balcony, I dont know why it says balcony. That is also where the TV and the fibre termination point is placed. I also use a roku device connected to the TV and the router placed near the TV helps roku with streaming seamlessly. Roku connects only 2.4Ghz, cannot connect to 5Ghz

The bad signal is mostly in the master bedroom and bedroom 3.

The router is placed in the open on top of the TV cabinet next to the TV, not inside the cabinet.

Last edited by revhappy; 16-04-2018 at 02:06 PM..
Old 16-04-2018, 02:19 PM   #14
Supremacy Member

you can put a $20 repeater at bedroom 2, or move main router towards middle
Old 16-04-2018, 02:42 PM   #15
Master Member

you can put a $20 repeater at bedroom 2, or move main router towards middle
Thanks! The repeater sounds like the most interesting option. I see a few aztech and Xiaomi repeaters for sale on carousel for $20-30. I will try this option.

Last edited by revhappy; 16-04-2018 at 02:45 PM..
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.