Router Advice

redhouse

Reaction score
Could I check if upgrading from DIR-865L to AC68U would increase the range of coverage by much? I've been putting off upgrading for a long time, and would like a router with a VPN server. I am also considering the Netgear R8000, since the price is about the same from mediapro, as the ac68u.

I searched around and found out that apart from being able to support more simultaneous connections more efficiently for the R8000, there are not much major advantages over the AC68U. I have less than 10 wireless devices, and about 3 use wireless AC.

Any advice/input appreciated.

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Despite changing router may increase the range but it depends
on your house layout and where you placed your router.
Typically what most people do is:

- For living room, there will be one main router connected to ONT.
- For bedroom/study room, hire a contractor to install LAN points inside
room and mount a Access point/repeater in the corridor for optimal
coverage.

jonathan6330

Reaction score
A layout of your flat and where your router will be placed will be helpful for us to see if chging will works. The range of chging to ac68u/r8000 will increase but whether it will cover your whole house will depends on the size, walls and location of router

Since you don't need tri band as you have less than 10 devices you can compare Netgear R7000 with the AC68U, both comes with vpn server feature

Could I check if upgrading from DIR-865L to AC68U would increase the range of coverage by much? I've been putting off upgrading for a long time, and would like a router with a VPN server. I am also considering the Netgear R8000, since the price is about the same from mediapro, as the ac68u.

I searched around and found out that apart from being able to support more simultaneous connections more efficiently for the R8000, there are not much major advantages over the AC68U. I have less than 10 wireless devices, and about 3 use wireless AC.

AshSim

Master Member
Reaction score

AC1900 routers should work good for you but of cos those pointers they mentioned are worth considering.

Here are some AC1900 routers which are not bad, HWZ did a review on all before... so you can go study and see which one suits your needs: http://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/feature-ac1900-wireless-router-shootout-asus-vs-d-link-vs-linksys-vs-netgear/performance-benchmarking-1

MikeDirnt78

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
AC68 has external antennas so reception is expected to be much better considering if placed at the same location.

If you wouldn't want to waste money, consider buying a 2nd hand. If not up to satisfaction, you can sell the router again. AC68 has a good demand in the market place. So selling again will not be an issue.

Personally, I am also looking to upgrade to AC68. I bought my N66 for $100 (RMA set) last year. Reception wise is top notch for my N66.

dennislee85

Reaction score
Need a replacement for RT n56U

Hi guys,

I have been using my Asus router n56u in my office, it serves as internet gateway with DHCP. And another router is connected to it bridging to another network with different subnet mask, via static routing.

now the problem is, my n56u became unstable out of sudden, all wifi and lan network drops, need to restart the router, drops again after few mins. p/s: it happens once last month.

when i unplugged my connected router from this n56u, things seems stable abit.

thus i was wondering if the issue from this asus n56u router, and want to seek for a better / stable router to replace it.

help / suggestion / tips are greatly appreciated.

jonathan6330

Reaction score
Personally, i used 2 netgear routers before, recently changed from R8000 to R7800. I didn't know how to do vlan tagging for my singtel mio, so i called the service centre hotline on the kaira 3 years warranty sticker. They manage to guide me through and ensure that it was working fine. Reliability wise, i don't think router spoils that easily ba? If anything happen within 3 years just go kaira there(paya lebar) 1 to 1 exchange lo, for asus, just go avertek~ Usually those with local service centre easy to change when got issue ba, linksys's one of them that you would need to ship oversea if anything happen.
The R7800 is a rather new model, so far everything's working fine, firmware updates once in awhile but no down time yet.

The router is placed right in the middle of the house. The 865L covers almost the entire house, just the top 2 corners of the house from a bird's eye view, it usually hovers between no signal to 1 bar. So if upgrading offers even a slight improvement, say 2 bars, which is adequate for light surfing, it is good enough for me.

I'm comparing the R8000 (AC3200)with the AC68U(AC1900) only because their price ranges are so close, so if there's a a possibility getting a better router at the same price, I would like to go for it. But technically I agree the R7000 should be its proper competitor.

How is Netgear for reliability and after sales support? There doesn't seem to be much talk about it in this forum, mainly on Asus. On other forums there seem to be mixed views, some are saying the Netgear performs as well as the Asus, where some say their firmware is not as stable.

I will be basing my final decision on your expert views here.

charliebrown

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have been using my Asus router n56u in my office, it serves as internet gateway with DHCP. And another router is connected to it bridging to another network with different subnet mask, via static routing.

now the problem is, my n56u became unstable out of sudden, all wifi and lan network drops, need to restart the router, drops again after few mins. p/s: it happens once last month.

when i unplugged my connected router from this n56u, things seems stable abit.

thus i was wondering if the issue from this asus n56u router, and want to seek for a better / stable router to replace it.

help / suggestion / tips are greatly appreciated.

1. n56u overheat.
2. too much load.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.