Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Router recommendation?

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2019, 09:27 AM   #1
Supremacy Member

Router recommendation?

Dear bros,

I currently using Asus RT-N56 router which sometime I get poor signal in my bedroom and also when I play PS4 via wifi (not possible to LAN)

Recently I bought a mibox S to stream Netflix and YouTube on my TV. The buffer for 4k video is bad, I am currently using MR 1gb fibre plan.

Planning to upgrade my current router any recommendations as in to increase my house coverage ? Is my issue due to the "old" RT-N56 router?
whoooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 01:07 PM   #2
Supremacy Member

Dear bros,

I currently using Asus RT-N56 router which sometime I get poor signal in my bedroom and also when I play PS4 via wifi (not possible to LAN)

Recently I bought a mibox S to stream Netflix and YouTube on my TV. The buffer for 4k video is bad, I am currently using MR 1gb fibre plan.

Planning to upgrade my current router any recommendations as in to increase my house coverage ? Is my issue due to the "old" RT-N56 router?
N56u range is very short and it’s an older model from 7 years back. Time to change to 1 with a stronger signal and faster throughput. Ur on 1gbps but your max wifi speed can only go N which is around 300mbps.
kashix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 01:20 PM   #3

try connecting on wifi 2.4g
rrr2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 04:41 PM   #4
High Supremacy Member

Dear bros,

Whats your budget?
Got budget get the Asus ac86u, low budget get the Linksys EA8100.
urbanbootless likes this.
Old 12-02-2019, 04:46 PM   #5
Supremacy Member

try connecting on wifi 2.4g
Do some research before you say. He already facing buffering issues. You still ask him to connect to 2.4, that will make it worse, how much actual throughput can he get? Lol he’s also streaming 4K.

Old 12-02-2019, 06:00 PM   #6

Whats your budget?
Got budget get the Asus ac86u, low budget get the Linksys EA8100.
https://www.asus.com/sg/Networking/RTAC68U/ this one is definitely worth the money, agree with both recommendations.
urbanbootless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 07:12 PM   #7
Supremacy Member

Ah thanks all my budget <200 if possible. Will search lazada fr Ac86/ac68 price
Old 12-02-2019, 08:47 PM   #8
Supremacy Member

Ac86 if Budget lower than 200 out of qns. Ac68u likely possible

Old 12-02-2019, 09:04 PM   #9
High Supremacy Member

@whoooo, you PM me about my AC88U but your inbox is full.
Can you clear than I can send?
Old 12-02-2019, 09:06 PM   #10
Supremacy Member

@whoooo, you PM me about my AC88U but your inbox is full.
Can you clear than I can send?
Paisay clear Liao as too many pms
Old 12-02-2019, 09:08 PM   #11
Supremacy Member

Ac86 if Budget lower than 200 out of qns. Ac68u likely possible

Ahhh ok will look ard and adjust my budget as too long dint check on market for gadget liao
Old 13-02-2019, 12:54 AM   #12

he said he got poor signal, am asking him to connect 2.4G for more network stability. it's better to connect on more stable then unstable link.

as for mibox S streaming in 4K? actually i didn't answer this portion because i doubt mibox S (paper specs yes support 4K but whether h/w can make it is another story) or even netflix android apps can do 4K, do google around.

Do some research before you say. He already facing buffering issues. You still ask him to connect to 2.4, that will make it worse, how much actual throughput can he get? Lol he’s also streaming 4K.

rrr2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2019, 02:25 AM   #13
Supremacy Member

he said he got poor signal, am asking him to connect 2.4G for more network stability. it's better to connect on more stable then unstable link.

as for mibox S streaming in 4K? actually i didn't answer this portion because i doubt mibox S (paper specs yes support 4K but whether h/w can make it is another story) or even netflix android apps can do 4K, do google around.
Paisley bros...make both of u at each other. Sorry. My fault for leaving out info

Yes previously was on 5ghz but due to low signal (even thought the router is 1 wall away and less than 5m I switch to 2.4ghz to have more “bar” signal.

Also I got fellow edmwers who pm me with their router which I will consider but pay day next week

Thanks fellow bros for input.
Old 13-02-2019, 08:23 AM   #14
High Supremacy Member

Paisley bros...make both of u at each other. Sorry. My fault for leaving out info

Yes previously was on 5ghz but due to low signal (even thought the router is 1 wall away and less than 5m I switch to 2.4ghz to have more “bar” signal.

Also I got fellow edmwers who pm me with their router which I will consider but pay day next week

Thanks fellow bros for input.
Try not to buy used. Normally got problem then try to push their overpaid router at high price to cut lost. Not everyday u want to change a router unless got problem.

Sent from Old Man Pressing On For Retirement using GAGT
gld998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2019, 09:51 AM   #15
Supremacy Member

Try not to buy used. Normally got problem then try to push their overpaid router at high price to cut lost. Not everyday u want to change a router unless got problem.

Sent from Old Man Pressing On For Retirement using GAGT
Oh okay, yesbubr correct as router seldom will change as by n56 I used for maybe 6years . Won't normally change like now got issue of poor signal and new TV box to play w. Many thanks
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.