HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Router suggestions for office

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-04-2018, 02:39 PM   #1

Router suggestions for office

Hello all!

I am wondering if there are any recommendations for routers suited for a small office that has a connection strong/fast enough to support around 10-15 people using it at once?

What are some of the specifications we should look out for?

TIA!

Last edited by marsbarsz; 02-05-2018 at 10:44 AM..
marsbarsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2018, 02:57 PM   #2

Does your office require vlans, radius server etc. If so and you are uncertain you may want to hire a consultant.
dryteletubby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2018, 03:51 PM   #3

Hmmmm not that I know of. So far I only know we require a firewall and want to install a VPN network on it
plenty of consumer or enterprise equipment can do what you want. it boils down to your usage, office size, if you want support etc. most people here are only familiar with consumer equipment. you are probably better off asking in /r/networking
Old 24-04-2018, 04:08 PM   #4

plenty of consumer or enterprise equipment can do what you want. it boils down to your usage, office size, if you want support etc. most people here are only familiar with consumer equipment. you are probably better off asking in /r/networking
Hmmmmmm we are still small hahaha don't think we need too many features just a wifi that can provide us with a stable internet connection and ability to handle about 10-15 people using at once

What would you recommend we look out for?
Old 24-04-2018, 04:33 PM   #5

Hmmmmmm we are still small hahaha don't think we need too many features just a wifi that can provide us with a stable internet connection and ability to handle about 10-15 people using at once

What would you recommend we look out for?
You could try a full ubiquiti unifi stack with the usg, switches , and APs. You can easily expand when your requirement grows.
mrkiasu likes this.
Old 24-04-2018, 05:28 PM   #6

You could try a full ubiquiti unifi stack with the usg, switches , and APs. You can easily expand when your requirement grows.
Oh dear I'm not sure what you are referring too

Can't we just get a simple linksys wireless router? Haha I'm just not sure which brand/model of router is useful in office setting
Old 24-04-2018, 05:33 PM   #7

Can't we just get a simple linksys wireless router? Haha I'm just not sure which brand/model of router is useful in office setting
If your requirements are that low maybe try an asus router? Something like their ac86u or ac88u both can do VPN and a rule based firewall. Asus also has 3 years local warranty
Old 25-04-2018, 12:33 PM   #8
Great Supremacy Member

In this case it's better for you to hire someone to build your network.

Consumer gear can't scale and you'll need to fix it sooner or later when you expand your company. A pfsense box will go a long way, and is far superior than any consumer routers.
Mach3.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2018, 11:24 PM   #9

In this case it's better for you to hire someone to build your network.

Consumer gear can't scale and you'll need to fix it sooner or later when you expand your company. A pfsense box will go a long way, and is far superior than any consumer routers.
I see. Hmmmmm but we are slowly expanding first and we need a router asap. What model should I be looking at?

Last edited by marsbarsz; 26-04-2018 at 08:19 PM..
Old 26-04-2018, 08:19 PM   #10

Don't want to make a new thread so bumping this up
Old 26-04-2018, 08:21 PM   #11

If you don't have a IT support to setup or manage your network, I suggest you just use any router that you are familiar with
Old 26-04-2018, 08:31 PM   #12

If you don't have a IT support to setup or manage your network, I suggest you just use any router that you are familiar with
Thanks so you would recommend the ac86u or ac88u only? Sorry I have no experience with routers
Old 26-04-2018, 08:58 PM   #13

Thanks so you would recommend the ac86u or ac88u only? Sorry I have no experience with routers
What are your security requirements? And what do you need VPN support for
-Grift- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2018, 10:14 PM   #14

Your network is only as good as the person setting it up. No point getting a router with all the features but cannot utilise due to lack of understanding.
Old 26-04-2018, 11:13 PM   #15
Supremacy Member

No. Suggest you get AC828 . Itís super good and stable
Twilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.