HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Router - Switch - NAS

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-05-2020, 09:44 AM   #1

Router - Switch - NAS

Good morning, networking gurus.

Since I am working from home and had more time to pick up some networking basics but I had some unanswered questions, stemming from my lack of understanding.

The target is to increase the transfer speed from my laptop to NAS. I had to backup my emails archives regularly and while transfer speed is good at about 100 MB/s over 1 Gbe adapter using USB C, I would like to check if I can increase it further but using 2.5 Gbe adapters. I have no concern over internet speed as 500mbps is good enough for my work. USB C can transfer over 10 Gbe so I am sure 2.5 Gbe will work just fine over my existing CAT6 cabling.

Equipment
1) M1 500mbps
2) TP Link AC2300 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router (Archer C2300)
3) Asustor AS6202T
4) Lenovo - using 1 Gbe adapter using USB C
5) CAT6 cabling.

I am considering to buy 2 of these or any compatible ones using RTL8156 chipset;

https://www.asustor.com/product/AS_U2_5G

- 1 to connect from my NAS
- 1 to connect from my laptop

Internet - TP Link Router (acting as a swtich)
- NAS connected to Router
- Laptop connect to Router

Questions;

A) If I were to connect as above, would I be able to achieve 2.5 Gbe speed?

B) I think with the 2.5 Gbe adapters, is my TP Link router, with it's 1 Gbe Lan Ports the bottleneck?

C) I still need a wifi router for wireless networking, so is there a wifi router with multi-gigabyte Lan ports that is available? I would wish to avoid buying a switch since only 1 laptop is permanent connected using cable. Other laptops on wireless network.

D) My TP Link router and NAS support link aggregation but after trying out various configurations, I believe this is more for fault tolerance rather than speed.

Looking forward to guidance.
ringrain_78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2020, 11:14 AM   #2
Arch-Supremacy Member

Since I am working from home and had more time to pick up some networking basics but I had some unanswered questions, stemming from my lack of understanding.

The target is to increase the transfer speed from my laptop to NAS. I had to backup my emails archives regularly and while transfer speed is good at about 100 MB/s over 1 Gbe adapter using USB C, I would like to check if I can increase it further but using 2.5 Gbe adapters. I have no concern over internet speed as 500mbps is good enough for my work. USB C can transfer over 10 Gbe so I am sure 2.5 Gbe will work just fine over my existing CAT6 cabling.

Equipment
1) M1 500mbps
3) Asustor AS6202T
5) CAT6 cabling.

I am considering to buy 2 of these or any compatible ones using RTL8156 chipset;

Questions;

B) I think with the 2.5 Gbe adapters, is my TP Link router, with it's 1 Gbe Lan Ports the bottleneck?

C) I still need a wifi router for wireless networking, so is there a wifi router with multi-gigabyte Lan ports that is available? I would wish to avoid buying a switch since only 1 laptop is permanent connected using cable. Other laptops on wireless network.

D) My TP Link router and NAS support link aggregation but after trying out various configurations, I believe this is more for fault tolerance rather than speed.

You are connecting your NAS with your notebook via Gigabit to your router's Gigabit port, correct?

If yes, after you add the 2.5Gbps adapter to your notebook and to your NAS, your notebook and NAS are still connected to your router's Gigabit port, correct?
Old 17-05-2020, 01:15 PM   #3

You are connecting your NAS with your notebook via Gigabit to your router's Gigabit port, correct?

If yes, after you add the 2.5Gbps adapter to your notebook and to your NAS, your notebook and NAS are still connected to your router's Gigabit port, correct?
Yes, that is correct. I suspect the router's gigabit port will be a bottleneck.
Old 17-05-2020, 01:33 PM   #4
Arch-Supremacy Member

Equipment
1) M1 500mbps
3) Asustor AS6202T
5) CAT6 cabling.

Questions;

A: No. Capped at 1Gbps because u lack Multi-path but u can still make use of LAG (LACP) to get 1Gb each pipe

B: The technology is non-existence for your router because u need multi ports to make >1Gb

C: based on specs, your existing router already supports it (unless I read it wrongly). What u need is 10Gb port for your router LANs if you are going to connect a USB dongle that has only 1 x 2.5Gb

D: LAG is not just for tolerance, u can google for more details

in other words, your NAS can still benefit from having LAG enabled so that whenever your laptop hog 1Gbps, another user who happens to be on the NAS will not be affected as he/she will be using the "other" 1Gbps to get in.
batniss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2020, 01:26 PM   #5

i am using 2x1gb LAG setting for my NAS, data copy to my wired desktop pc speed only slightly improve and stable. Due to desktop using 1gb ethernet
effer315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2020, 01:41 PM   #6

Equipment
1) M1 500mbps
3) Asustor AS6202T
5) CAT6 cabling.

Questions;

A. Possible if you connect Laptop directly to NAS

B. Your router is 1gbps so you will be limit at 1gbps. Is like your highway speed limit.
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:47 AM   #7
Master Member

Not sure if you can achieve 2.5Gbps on a laptop through USB. But to carry 2.5G, you probably need a switch and a NAS that supports that.

For a cheap fast switch above 1G, can try Microtik. More standard ones should be from netgear.

As for NAS, I think higher end OTS NAS supports 10G or will support with 10G add-on. Another solution will be DIY NAS with 10G PCIE NIC.

I also frequently backup my work email by running auto-sync software like SyncThing on FreeNAS. No need to always remind myself to backup, just let it sync automatically. In my case 1G is sufficient.
Old Yesterday, 10:06 AM   #8

Not sure if you can achieve 2.5Gbps on a laptop through USB. But to carry 2.5G, you probably need a switch and a NAS that supports that.

For a cheap fast switch above 1G, can try Microtik. More standard ones should be from netgear.

As for NAS, I think higher end OTS NAS supports 10G or will support with 10G add-on. Another solution will be DIY NAS with 10G PCIE NIC.

I also frequently backup my work email by running auto-sync software like SyncThing on FreeNAS. No need to always remind myself to backup, just let it sync automatically. In my case 1G is sufficient.
Thanks for the explanation and yes, I had realised that I need a multi-gig switch in order to achieve higher bandwidth.

Considering the cost and benefits, I would have to stick with my current setup for now.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.