www.hardwarezone.com.sg


www.hardwarezone.com.sg (/)
-   Internet Bandwidth & Networking Clinic (https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/internet-bandwidth-networking-clinic-4/)
-   -   Router with VLAN tagging for NGNBN (https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/internet-bandwidth-networking-clinic-4/router-vlan-tagging-ngnbn-3135090.html)

SNAG 08-03-2011 12:31 PM

Router with VLAN tagging for NGNBN
 
Hi all,

I'm looking to replace my aged router with VLAN tagging functions (to futureproof for NGNBN).

So far, I've came across 2 possible models, being:

Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH
TP Link TL-WR1043ND

My understanding is that they both support DD-WRT and VLAN tagging (the newer builds of DD-WRT need to be used?). However, am wondering if anyone could provide comparisons against functionality.

Thanks!

liangtam 08-03-2011 01:00 PM

You DO NOT need vlan feature to pair and be capable of ngn plans!
Additionally, dd does not seems to support high vlan id that is required

SNAG 08-03-2011 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by liangtam (Post 53705332)
You DO NOT need vlan feature to pair and be capable of ngn plans!
Additionally, dd does not seems to support high vlan id that is required

Thanks for clarifying, but I read somewhere that one requires VLAN tagging in order for the router to pick up internet packets from the ONT (particularly for ST users wanting to ditch the 2Wire), although you're right to say that DD-WRT only allows VLANs up to 15:

Quote:

- Internet: 10
- IPTV: 20
- VoIP: 30
- Management: 40
As I have some devices in the living room requiring Internet access, am thinking if this would work (have also got a spare 2Wire 2701):

Code:

Fibre > ONT
              |
              |
2 Wire (bridged) > MioTV
              |                > Blu Ray (for internet access)
              |                > Media streamer (requires network access)
              |
Gigabit Router > PCs in various rooms

If this layout works, I also need to figure out how to connect the 2wire and router without UTP cables (one is in the living room, the other in the master room).

Dr_ARCHer 08-03-2011 07:45 PM

If you intent to split up the VLAN traffic before they reach the 2wire, then you need to have a VLAN capable router sitting between the ONT and the 2wire.

TP --- ONT --- VLAN Router --- 2wire

where all PC devices would connect to the VLAN router, and the mioTV and mioVoice to the 2wire.

However, you can let the 2wire handle the VLAN in bridge mode

TP --- ONT --- 2wire (bridge) --- Router

The mioTV and mioVoice continues to be connected to the 2wire, and your PC devices will connect to the router.

liangtam 08-03-2011 08:50 PM

Be aware that using dd retards the wan-lan speeds of router than 1st party fw

kohler 08-03-2011 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by liangtam (Post 53717714)
Be aware that using dd retards the wan-lan speeds of router than 1st party fw

I think so . My Dir300 can only attain up to 20mpbs up/down stream .

kohler 08-03-2011 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNAG (Post 53704638)
Hi all,

I'm looking to replace my aged router with VLAN tagging functions (to futureproof for NGNBN).

So far, I've came across 2 possible models, being:

Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH
TP Link TL-WR1043ND

My understanding is that they both support DD-WRT and VLAN tagging (the newer builds of DD-WRT need to be used?). However, am wondering if anyone could provide comparisons against functionality.

Thanks!


btw , these 2 models is also one of my top 2 choice . Buffalo have higher SDram while TP link have detectable antenna. I have seen several times at PC fair that the demo set of the Buffalo's antenna is always broken, thus making me indecisive in making my choice selection. If you are choosing Buffalo router , Court is selling $119 now till 25th March .

SNAG 08-03-2011 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr_ARCHer (Post 53715924)

However, you can let the 2wire handle the VLAN in bridge mode

TP --- ONT --- 2wire (bridge) --- Router

The mioTV and mioVoice continues to be connected to the 2wire, and your PC devices will connect to the router.

Thanks - this was what I was trying to do. However, since the 2wire's a bridge, all non Mio devices connected to the 2Wire will obtain IPs from the router right?

The only limitation I can think of is that the 2701's not gigabit, so WAN throughput might be affected. However, I don't think I'll be subscribing to high speed plans anytime soon.

One more thing to note is that I'm thinking of a 'wireless' solution to link the 2wire and router together: the 2wire doesn't support wireless bridge right?

Quote:

Originally Posted by liangtam (Post 53717714)
Be aware that using dd retards the wan-lan speeds of router than 1st party fw

Quote:

Originally Posted by kohler (Post 53720499)
I think so . My Dir300 can only attain up to 20mpbs up/down stream .

Thanks all - will take note though. Excluding the DD-WRT functionality, which would be a better choice (Buffalo or TP-LINK?). Was also thinking of Engenius 9850 as well.

Dr_ARCHer 09-03-2011 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNAG (Post 53721418)
Thanks - this was what I was trying to do. However, since the 2wire's a bridge, all non Mio devices connected to the 2Wire will obtain IPs from the router right?

For me, I only connect mio devices to the 2wire. All non-mio devices are connected to the router. In bridge mode, it is as if the 2wire is only bridging the Internet portion but not the mio portion. Some sort of auto-VLAN.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNAG (Post 53721418)
The only limitation I can think of is that the 2701's not gigabit, so WAN throughput might be affected. However, I don't think I'll be subscribing to high speed plans anytime soon.

Not sure about the 2701, but the 5012 has only one gigabit port. I use this port to connect to the router. The mioTV is connected to a non-gigabit port.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNAG (Post 53721418)
One more thing to note is that I'm thinking of a 'wireless' solution to link the 2wire and router together: the 2wire doesn't support wireless bridge right?

Can't remember if it support WDS bridging or not.

seeyourhead_jiejie 09-03-2011 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNAG (Post 53721418)
Thanks - this was what I was trying to do. However, since the 2wire's a bridge, all non Mio devices connected to the 2Wire will obtain IPs from the router right?

The only limitation I can think of is that the 2701's not gigabit, so WAN throughput might be affected. However, I don't think I'll be subscribing to high speed plans anytime soon.

One more thing to note is that I'm thinking of a 'wireless' solution to link the 2wire and router together: the 2wire doesn't support wireless bridge right?





Thanks all - will take note though. Excluding the DD-WRT functionality, which would be a better choice (Buffalo or TP-LINK?). Was also thinking of Engenius 9850 as well.

i am using engenius 9850 with my singtel 200mbps.
able to get the max speed for both upstream and downstream

SNAG 09-03-2011 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr_ARCHer (Post 53730208)
For me, I only connect mio devices to the 2wire. All non-mio devices are connected to the router. In bridge mode, it is as if the 2wire is only bridging the Internet portion but not the mio portion. Some sort of auto-VLAN.

Not sure about the 2701, but the 5012 has only one gigabit port. I use this port to connect to the router. The mioTV is connected to a non-gigabit port.

Can't remember if it support WDS bridging or not.

Thanks again - will try this out when my fibre is running.

@seeyourhead_jiejie: Thanks for the comments. It's going to sell at S$79 this coming IT show, so it'll be an attractive option to consider.

jnkcss 11-11-2011 08:13 PM

Bro,

I am currently using the following plan:

SingTel exStream Fibre 100mbps + MIO TV + MIO VOICE

i would like to replace the 2Wire 5012NV with a TP-Link TL-WR1043ND

hopefully u can share some detail.

i also noted that 2wire 5012NV only have 1xGigaBit Ethernet port (GBE), when i connect my gigabit lan equipped PC/ Laptop my speed is
87-92mbps / 42-45mbps when connected to port 2,3,4
100-103mbps / 50-52mbps when connected to port 1 GBE

why 100mbps can't run at full speed for 100base? unless i connect to gigabit 1000mbps???


btw i have a option in mind now.

Opt1 : connect TP-Link TL-WR1043ND or TL-SG1008D to GBE 1st port of 5012NV as the 5012NV need to run for MIO TV and MIO VOICE, if not once i turn off the DHCP on 5012NV my MIO TV/Voice won't run( service down) except internet.

Opt2 : Replace and connect TP-Link TL_WR1043ND directly to SingTel ONT 1port and connect the rest to the like MIO TV Setup box, PC, Laptop (Wired connection preferable) to the TL-WR1043ND. but i guess i will end up no home phone unless i ask SingTel to install a analogue line.

Thanks and seek yr kind sharing.

Geforce3 11-11-2011 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jnkcss (Post 61360565)
Bro,

I am currently using the following plan:

SingTel exStream Fibre 100mbps + MIO TV + MIO VOICE

i would like to replace the 2Wire 5012NV with a TP-Link TL-WR1043ND

hopefully u can share some detail.

i also noted that 2wire 5012NV only have 1xGigaBit Ethernet port (GBE), when i connect my gigabit lan equipped PC/ Laptop my speed is
87-92mbps / 42-45mbps when connected to port 2,3,4
100-103mbps / 50-52mbps when connected to port 1 GBE

why 100mbps can't run at full speed for 100base? unless i connect to gigabit 1000mbps???


btw i have a option in mind now.

Opt1 : connect TP-Link TL-WR1043ND or TL-SG1008D to GBE 1st port of 5012NV as the 5012NV need to run for MIO TV and MIO VOICE, if not once i turn off the DHCP on 5012NV my MIO TV/Voice won't run( service down) except internet.

Opt2 : Replace and connect TP-Link TL_WR1043ND directly to SingTel ONT 1port and connect the rest to the like MIO TV Setup box, PC, Laptop (Wired connection preferable) to the TL-WR1043ND. but i guess i will end up no home phone unless i ask SingTel to install a analogue line.

Thanks and seek yr kind sharing.

already like that might as well just bridge the 5012 and get another router

Arucard 13-11-2011 12:51 AM

my setup, ont - 2wire(bridged) - dir 655

miotv connect to 2wire

rest of my pc wireless or Ethernet connected to dir 655

remember to enable 1gb in dir 655 for the wan

dir 655 is connected to the 2wire 1gb port

last time do a speed test from singtel tech support can reach 200mbps

hope this helps :)

junkki 13-11-2011 09:45 PM

hi can i check, how do you bridge the 2wire?


All times are GMT +8. The time now is 04:13 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright © SPH Magazines Pte Ltd. All rights reserved.