HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Router with VLAN tagging for NGNBN

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2011, 12:31 PM   #1
Master Member

Router with VLAN tagging for NGNBN

Hi all,

I'm looking to replace my aged router with VLAN tagging functions (to futureproof for NGNBN).

So far, I've came across 2 possible models, being:

Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH
TP Link TL-WR1043ND

My understanding is that they both support DD-WRT and VLAN tagging (the newer builds of DD-WRT need to be used?). However, am wondering if anyone could provide comparisons against functionality.

Thanks!
SNAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 01:00 PM   #2
High Supremacy Member

You DO NOT need vlan feature to pair and be capable of ngn plans!
Additionally, dd does not seems to support high vlan id that is required
liangtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 04:46 PM   #3
Master Member

You DO NOT need vlan feature to pair and be capable of ngn plans!
Additionally, dd does not seems to support high vlan id that is required
Thanks for clarifying, but I read somewhere that one requires VLAN tagging in order for the router to pick up internet packets from the ONT (particularly for ST users wanting to ditch the 2Wire), although you're right to say that DD-WRT only allows VLANs up to 15:

- Internet: 10
- IPTV: 20
- VoIP: 30
- Management: 40
As I have some devices in the living room requiring Internet access, am thinking if this would work (have also got a spare 2Wire 2701):

Fibre > ONT | | 2 Wire (bridged) > MioTV | > Blu Ray (for internet access) | > Media streamer (requires network access) | Gigabit Router > PCs in various rooms
If this layout works, I also need to figure out how to connect the 2wire and router without UTP cables (one is in the living room, the other in the master room).

Last edited by SNAG; 08-03-2011 at 04:48 PM..
Old 08-03-2011, 07:45 PM   #4
Master Member

If you intent to split up the VLAN traffic before they reach the 2wire, then you need to have a VLAN capable router sitting between the ONT and the 2wire.

TP --- ONT --- VLAN Router --- 2wire

where all PC devices would connect to the VLAN router, and the mioTV and mioVoice to the 2wire.

However, you can let the 2wire handle the VLAN in bridge mode

TP --- ONT --- 2wire (bridge) --- Router

The mioTV and mioVoice continues to be connected to the 2wire, and your PC devices will connect to the router.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:50 PM   #5
High Supremacy Member

Be aware that using dd retards the wan-lan speeds of router than 1st party fw
liangtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 10:16 PM   #6

I think so . My Dir300 can only attain up to 20mpbs up/down stream .
kohler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 10:34 PM   #7

Hi all,

I'm looking to replace my aged router with VLAN tagging functions (to futureproof for NGNBN).

So far, I've came across 2 possible models, being:

Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH
TP Link TL-WR1043ND

My understanding is that they both support DD-WRT and VLAN tagging (the newer builds of DD-WRT need to be used?). However, am wondering if anyone could provide comparisons against functionality.

Thanks!

btw , these 2 models is also one of my top 2 choice . Buffalo have higher SDram while TP link have detectable antenna. I have seen several times at PC fair that the demo set of the Buffalo's antenna is always broken, thus making me indecisive in making my choice selection. If you are choosing Buffalo router , Court is selling $119 now till 25th March .
kohler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 10:41 PM   #8
Master Member

However, you can let the 2wire handle the VLAN in bridge mode

TP --- ONT --- 2wire (bridge) --- Router

The mioTV and mioVoice continues to be connected to the 2wire, and your PC devices will connect to the router.
Thanks - this was what I was trying to do. However, since the 2wire's a bridge, all non Mio devices connected to the 2Wire will obtain IPs from the router right?

The only limitation I can think of is that the 2701's not gigabit, so WAN throughput might be affected. However, I don't think I'll be subscribing to high speed plans anytime soon.

One more thing to note is that I'm thinking of a 'wireless' solution to link the 2wire and router together: the 2wire doesn't support wireless bridge right?

I think so . My Dir300 can only attain up to 20mpbs up/down stream .
Thanks all - will take note though. Excluding the DD-WRT functionality, which would be a better choice (Buffalo or TP-LINK?). Was also thinking of Engenius 9850 as well.
Old 09-03-2011, 07:56 AM   #9
Master Member

Thanks - this was what I was trying to do. However, since the 2wire's a bridge, all non Mio devices connected to the 2Wire will obtain IPs from the router right?
For me, I only connect mio devices to the 2wire. All non-mio devices are connected to the router. In bridge mode, it is as if the 2wire is only bridging the Internet portion but not the mio portion. Some sort of auto-VLAN.

The only limitation I can think of is that the 2701's not gigabit, so WAN throughput might be affected. However, I don't think I'll be subscribing to high speed plans anytime soon.
Not sure about the 2701, but the 5012 has only one gigabit port. I use this port to connect to the router. The mioTV is connected to a non-gigabit port.

One more thing to note is that I'm thinking of a 'wireless' solution to link the 2wire and router together: the 2wire doesn't support wireless bridge right?
Can't remember if it support WDS bridging or not.
Old 09-03-2011, 10:22 AM   #10
Arch-Supremacy Member

Thanks all - will take note though. Excluding the DD-WRT functionality, which would be a better choice (Buffalo or TP-LINK?). Was also thinking of Engenius 9850 as well.
i am using engenius 9850 with my singtel 200mbps.
able to get the max speed for both upstream and downstream
seeyourhead_jiejie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 01:46 PM   #11
Master Member

For me, I only connect mio devices to the 2wire. All non-mio devices are connected to the router. In bridge mode, it is as if the 2wire is only bridging the Internet portion but not the mio portion. Some sort of auto-VLAN.

Not sure about the 2701, but the 5012 has only one gigabit port. I use this port to connect to the router. The mioTV is connected to a non-gigabit port.

Can't remember if it support WDS bridging or not.
Thanks again - will try this out when my fibre is running.

@seeyourhead_jiejie: Thanks for the comments. It's going to sell at S$79 this coming IT show, so it'll be an attractive option to consider.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:13 PM   #12

Bro,

I am currently using the following plan:

SingTel exStream Fibre 100mbps + MIO TV + MIO VOICE

i would like to replace the 2Wire 5012NV with a TP-Link TL-WR1043ND

hopefully u can share some detail.

i also noted that 2wire 5012NV only have 1xGigaBit Ethernet port (GBE), when i connect my gigabit lan equipped PC/ Laptop my speed is
87-92mbps / 42-45mbps when connected to port 2,3,4
100-103mbps / 50-52mbps when connected to port 1 GBE

why 100mbps can't run at full speed for 100base? unless i connect to gigabit 1000mbps???

btw i have a option in mind now.

Opt1 : connect TP-Link TL-WR1043ND or TL-SG1008D to GBE 1st port of 5012NV as the 5012NV need to run for MIO TV and MIO VOICE, if not once i turn off the DHCP on 5012NV my MIO TV/Voice won't run( service down) except internet.

Opt2 : Replace and connect TP-Link TL_WR1043ND directly to SingTel ONT 1port and connect the rest to the like MIO TV Setup box, PC, Laptop (Wired connection preferable) to the TL-WR1043ND. but i guess i will end up no home phone unless i ask SingTel to install a analogue line.

Thanks and seek yr kind sharing.
jnkcss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 08:21 PM   #13
Great Supremacy Member

Bro,

I am currently using the following plan:

SingTel exStream Fibre 100mbps + MIO TV + MIO VOICE

i would like to replace the 2Wire 5012NV with a TP-Link TL-WR1043ND

hopefully u can share some detail.

i also noted that 2wire 5012NV only have 1xGigaBit Ethernet port (GBE), when i connect my gigabit lan equipped PC/ Laptop my speed is
87-92mbps / 42-45mbps when connected to port 2,3,4
100-103mbps / 50-52mbps when connected to port 1 GBE

why 100mbps can't run at full speed for 100base? unless i connect to gigabit 1000mbps???

btw i have a option in mind now.

Opt1 : connect TP-Link TL-WR1043ND or TL-SG1008D to GBE 1st port of 5012NV as the 5012NV need to run for MIO TV and MIO VOICE, if not once i turn off the DHCP on 5012NV my MIO TV/Voice won't run( service down) except internet.

Opt2 : Replace and connect TP-Link TL_WR1043ND directly to SingTel ONT 1port and connect the rest to the like MIO TV Setup box, PC, Laptop (Wired connection preferable) to the TL-WR1043ND. but i guess i will end up no home phone unless i ask SingTel to install a analogue line.

Thanks and seek yr kind sharing.
already like that might as well just bridge the 5012 and get another router
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams. - W B Yeats
Geforce3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2011, 12:51 AM   #14
Master Member

my setup, ont - 2wire(bridged) - dir 655

miotv connect to 2wire

rest of my pc wireless or Ethernet connected to dir 655

remember to enable 1gb in dir 655 for the wan

dir 655 is connected to the 2wire 1gb port

last time do a speed test from singtel tech support can reach 200mbps

hope this helps
Arucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2011, 09:45 PM   #15

hi can i check, how do you bridge the 2wire?
junkki is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.