HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Should I switch to M1 from Singtel for 1 Gpbs plan

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-11-2020, 09:08 PM   #16

Actually even when I am in the living room where my router is placed, sometimes I also have weak reception problems. Hence I am toying with the idea of trying m1. Also not sure if the router given by m1 and singtel works the same in the end. If I switch to m1, I enjoyed 2 months free subscription but I have to pay for activation/registration fee. So end up not much difference.
PinkGlory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2020, 09:32 PM   #17
Master Member

Actually even when I am in the living room where my router is placed, sometimes I also have weak reception problems. Hence I am toying with the idea of trying m1. Also not sure if the router given by m1 and singtel works the same in the end. If I switch to m1, I enjoyed 2 months free subscription but I have to pay for activation/registration fee. So end up not much difference.
Then u should get to the root of the problem lor. Change router(if u are sure that your isp broadband connection to u is ok) and then get a ap to extend wifi connection to your rooms via wired lan cable.

For all we know, just 1 wired ap in the correct location could solve all your wifi problems.
So the correct thing to do is show us your floor plan first else we are all guessing in the dark.

Last edited by LoneTraveller; 13-11-2020 at 10:10 PM..
LoneTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2020, 09:37 PM   #18

myrepublic most worth plan (if looking for quality connection):
FWB TP-Link EC330 Router 1Gbps Broadband @ $37.79/mth
[37.79×24 + 53.50 + 56.71 + 50 (static ip) ]/24 = $44.47
around a $4-5 premium per month but guaranteed much better connection..
miloaisdino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2020, 09:39 PM   #19
Supremacy Member

Actually I think it is probably better to switch to M1 500Mbps and then save the money to buy a better main router or pay for the LAN port installation, if the TS really wants to switch.

Last edited by xiaofan; 22-11-2020 at 04:11 PM..
xiaofan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2020, 10:13 PM   #20
High Supremacy Member

Have you tried direct connection to the router? Sometimes it is the wifi channel problem. I am sure your surrounding area are saturated with multiple wifi routers.
Old 13-11-2020, 11:45 PM   #21
Arch-Supremacy Member

myrepublic most worth plan (if looking for quality connection):
FWB TP-Link EC330 Router 1Gbps Broadband @ $37.79/mth
[37.79×24 + 53.50 + 56.71 + 50 (static ip) ]/24 = $44.47
around a $4-5 premium per month but guaranteed much better connection..
Actually MR internet also many feedback about slowness.
Henry Ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2020, 12:20 AM   #22
Arch-Supremacy Member

No, don't change to singtel

you will regret it, M1 is much better.
simon_84 likes this.
localITguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2020, 02:07 AM   #23

Mesh router is better than the standalone junk router from M1 BB.

I know cos i'm with M1 for so many years that every recontract they gave me 1 extra junk router, and since my HDB flat has been fully Cat 6 wired, i use one of the M1 junk router as main router and the other junk router as access point, wi-fi coverage is very good.

The mesh router if the other pieces of the mesh are using wired connection, then can match my main router + access point model. If your other pieces in the mesh are using wireless then wi-fi bandwidth may suffer but wi-fi coverage should be excellence too.

If you think M1 is better than Singtel, i can prove you wrong, i have 1gbps fibre from M1 BB, even i connect my laptop using a network cable directly at my main router, the overall speed i can get is 200mbps down and up. Personally i find it enough for my usage, that is why i didn't make a big fuss about it. Previously before M1 BB, i used to subscribe to ViewQuest Fibre, their speedtest (laptop connect directly to main router) can achieve 900mbps down and up.

Listen to uncle , i have almost 30 years of combined IT (systems and network) infrastructure knowledge.
bad wifi&upnp aside, i just went on a long incomprehensible rant on the 1gb starhub thread abt how much i prefer the firmware, both stock and padavan, on the n56u m1 router than the brokenass lockedown ashit ea8100 frm starhub, which multiple people have confirmed hangs on the 19216811 settings screen if frigging ethernet is plugged in(so that whole use the app on ure phone to config ure linksys smart anywhere is a broken lie), in another country that would be a classaction

meh, who really needs a 1gb cat5e/6 wire for anything but maybe the wan/ethernet port, 100mb cat5non-e for lan is fine, as long as u force duplex on either ure pc or router(if ure router firmware isnt a lockdowned turd like linksys) so it doesnt take 15seconds everytime u plugin to autonego...or ure using a xbox360 where it doesnt evn hv 1gb jack so theres nothing to autonego....unless im totally misunderstanding what u mean by ure hdb is fully cat6wired...then why would u need wifi then?

i hv to say being on m1, on my end hqcorner is pretty spotty, and u straightup need nord for japanhdv&nubiles&ztod...evn hwz is always a white page for like 7seconds, but i think thats more of a local webrowser rendering issue?

Last edited by textshitpost; 14-11-2020 at 09:37 PM..
textshitpost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2020, 09:07 AM   #24

I know cos i'm with M1 for so many years that every recontract they gave me 1 extra junk router, and since my HDB flat has been fully Cat 6 wired, i use one of the M1 junk router as main router and the other junk router as access point, wi-fi coverage is very good.

The mesh router if the other pieces of the mesh are using wired connection, then can match my main router + access point model. If your other pieces in the mesh are using wireless then wi-fi bandwidth may suffer but wi-fi coverage should be excellence too.

If you think M1 is better than Singtel, i can prove you wrong, i have 1gbps fibre from M1 BB, even i connect my laptop using a network cable directly at my main router, the overall speed i can get is 200mbps down and up. Personally i find it enough for my usage, that is why i didn't make a big fuss about it. Previously before M1 BB, i used to subscribe to ViewQuest Fibre, their speedtest (laptop connect directly to main router) can achieve 900mbps down and up.

Listen to uncle , i have almost 30 years of combined IT (systems and network) infrastructure knowledge.
singtel mesh router is just a marketing name. is has no mesh capability but rather is supposed to be pair with wifi extenders called "singtel mesh extender", which work like regular wifi extenders (bad!) or as an AP. i dont see how m1s router will be inferior to singtel mesh, especially when the tx power is higher for the former (better coverage)

also on the point on speed, it is not always speed that determines how good the connection is. once beyond a certain point (eg the bw available exceeds the requirement of the application), improvement in user experience comes from lower latency and packet loss such as for gaming and video conferencing. singtel loses very badly to m1 in this regard.
miloaisdino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2020, 11:31 AM   #25

200MB on wired connection on 1 gbps plan? “Uncle” must be damn sway. Lol! I just switched to m1 1 gbps & macbook connected via cat 6 too. On average I get close to 900 mbps sometimes more using SpeedTest app.

The thing is, if “uncle” has over 30 years IT experience, surely a simple troubleshooting will resolve your problem no?

I mean even my iphone 11 pro on wifi6 can easily exceed 500 mbps so yeah. Lol!

And i was on VQ before so excuse me while i cough at 900 mbps. When they first started out yes. By the time i left VQ their speeds were averaging 400 mbps on wired for me.

Last edited by Singrish; 14-11-2020 at 11:33 AM..
Singrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2020, 09:41 AM   #26

581 mbps on wifi 6. So yeah. “Uncle” getting 200 mbps on wired connection is quite obviously a case of user problem. Lol!
Singrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2020, 03:38 PM   #27

I don't know how to attach the floor plan into this thread.

In your opinion, is there much difference between the Singtel mesh router and M1 free Asus router that both come free with the subscription?

M1 told me if I were to lay a cable to my rooms which will most likely solve my wifi connection issues, I will have to pay for it. Whereas for Singtel, I understand that it is free.

I am just unsure if by switching to M1 will it actually make my connection better.

I am really bad at all the technical terms used here and I don't think the ISP will help me to solve my connection concerns.
Old 22-11-2020, 04:02 PM   #28
Supremacy Member

I don't know how to attach the floor plan into this thread.

In your opinion, is there much difference between the Singtel mesh router and M1 free Asus router that both come free with the subscription?

M1 told me if I were to lay a cable to my rooms which will most likely solve my wifi connection issues, I will have to pay for it. Whereas for Singtel, I understand that it is free.

I am just unsure if by switching to M1 will it actually make my connection better.

I am really bad at all the technical terms used here and I don't think the ISP will help me to solve my connection concerns.
By switching to M1 your issues will not be sorted out. And the free M1 router will not be much better than SingTel Mesh Router in terms of coverage.

You need to confirm with SingTel if they really can lay a cable to one of your rooms for free. I highly doubt this is true.

Anyway, as you mentioned, ISPs may not be able to help, so you may need to hire people to lay the cable or cables. Once you lay the cables, I believe your issues will be sorted out without switching to M1, and most likely no need to buy extra equipment.

Main wireless router: SingTel Mesh Router
Two APs: existing Samsung Connect Home mesh in the rooms using the LAN ports.

If not good enough, get one more Samsung Connect Home unit in the room with weak WiFi.

Last edited by xiaofan; 22-11-2020 at 04:07 PM..
xiaofan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2020, 07:02 PM   #29

By switching to M1 your issues will not be sorted out. And the free M1 router will not be much better than SingTel Mesh Router in terms of coverage.

You need to confirm with SingTel if they really can lay a cable to one of your rooms for free. I highly doubt this is true.

Anyway, as you mentioned, ISPs may not be able to help, so you may need to hire people to lay the cable or cables. Once you lay the cables, I believe your issues will be sorted out without switching to M1, and most likely no need to buy extra equipment.

Main wireless router: SingTel Mesh Router
Two APs: existing Samsung Connect Home mesh in the rooms using the LAN ports.

If not good enough, get one more Samsung Connect Home unit in the room with weak WiFi.
Tks. I will call Singtel to check if they could lay the cables for me free. They offered about 2 years ago. I was hesitant back then as I don't know how it will look like with cables laid around the house. Hence I got the Samsung mesh instead. If Singtel can lay the cables for me free, will my connection issues be solved and I wont need the Samsung mesh anymore?
Old 22-11-2020, 07:48 PM   #30
Arch-Supremacy Member

Tks. I will call Singtel to check if they could lay the cables for me free. They offered about 2 years ago. I was hesitant back then as I don't know how it will look like with cables laid around the house. Hence I got the Samsung mesh instead. If Singtel can lay the cables for me free, will my connection issues be solved and I wont need the Samsung mesh anymore?
Not sure if singtel still offer lay network cable for free now.

But if you have network cable to your room internet performance will also improve.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.