SINGTEL broadband ONR - cannot use my ASUS router

miloaisdino

Reaction score
Singtel use the ONR term too loosely

This is how they describe their 1+1Gb plan in another post

Our 1+1Gbps dual network comes with 2 x 1Gbps connection on our GPON Optical Network Router (ONR), where a 1Gbps bandwidth is dedicated for your gaming needs and another 1Gbps bandwidth can be shared among the rest of the family for daily Internet usage.

The ONR has 4 available active Gbe LAN ports that can each transmit at a maximum speed of 1Gbps. You’ll be able to connect to a wireless Access Point (e.g. WiFi Mesh) or Internet enabled devices (e.g. set-top box, computer, Smart TV) for Ports 1 to 3.

You can then set-up a third-party router (e.g. Razer Sila gaming router) for Port 4 via a wired connection. For WiFi connections, you are able to select between two WiFi Network SSIDs.

Seems port 4 straight pass our a wan IP address for your own router.

Strangely they don't have a 10G port for 2Gbps max on one line unlike other ISP. Maybe that's their way of preventing power users form choosing their plan.

It is unclear whether this is 2gbps over 2 separate gigabit ports on a single public IP using onr, or 2 separate public IP addresses allocated. Either ways it is still using gpon (up to 2.4gbps), not xgpon (10gbps), hence no special onr with dedicated 10gbps port and bridging

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Actually it seems to me only new SingTel subscribers and those who upgraded to >1Gbps plan get ONR. Existing 1Gbps (or 500Mbps) subscribers (including the-contract) can still use existing ONT and even one-to-one change to new ONT. Please refer to the other thread “SingTel provide ONR or ONT” in NGBN sub-forum.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
BTW what is so bad about Double NAT? I used it briefly (AC Plus as main router, Linksys WRT1900AC as secondary) when I made a mistake configuring Linksys WRT1900AC. Basically I think the ONR connect to the SingTel TV box and your own router . All the other devices connect to your own router. Internet browsing — no problem. NAS file sharing— no issue. Sorry I am not an expert in networking side. My involvement in the open source community centered on USB side.

dryteletubby

Reaction score
BTW what is so bad about Double NAT? I used it briefly (AC Plus as main router, Linksys WRT1900AC as secondary) when I made a mistake configuring Linksys WRT1900AC. Basically I think the ONR connect to the SingTel TV box and your own router . All the other devices connect to your own router. Internet browsing — no problem. NAS file sharing— no issue. Sorry I am not an expert in networking side. My involvement in the open source community centered on USB side.
https://www.graemenoble.id.au/post/48695277030/double-nat-explained-and-possible-solutions

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The recommendation seems to be very simple. But I think basically the recommended solution from the author will dumb down your router to become a AP/switch, right? ISP is happy but advanced user may not be happy.

isadavmat

Reaction score
No leh, it's an ONR cause I used all 4 LAN ports behind it. 1 for the router, 1 for TV and 2 for home theatre.

isadavmat

Reaction score
That's because Whizcomm provisoned their ONT in "bridge mode" while SingTel configure theirs in "router mode"

No leh, it's an ONR cause I used all the 4 LAN ports behind it, 1 for router, 1 for TV and 2 for home theatre

Arucard

Master Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
That's why he say "just use as AP" to prevent double NAT

the problem is TS want to use his asus router don't want to onr to act as routing , but now cannot use because its a onr now , ask TS do his asus router to ap got what use?

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
the problem is TS want to use his asus router don't want to onr to act as routing , but now cannot use because its a onr now , ask TS do his asus router to ap got what use?

It's either persuade singtel to switch back to ont, AP mode or switch isp. I'm just giving him the simplest alternative. Singtel ain't gonna switch to bridge mode just for him.

What he want, didn't mean he can get. Life sucks sometimes. Or in this case singtel sucks.

Arucard

Master Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
It's either persuade singtel to switch back to ont, AP mode or switch isp. I'm just giving him the simplest alternative. Singtel ain't gonna switch to bridge mode just for him.

What he want, didn't mean he can get. Life sucks sometimes. Or in this case singtel sucks.

Are you renfred89 ?

Arucard

Master Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
TS got do his research or not on the recent singtel fibre plan I have no idea, I only know he want to use his router , giving him a suggestion to use as AP defeat the purpose of his router he want to use.

For me I'm sticking to my unlimited plan

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
TS got do his research or not on the recent singtel fibre plan I have no idea, I only know he want to use his router , giving him a suggestion to use as AP defeat the purpose of his router he want to use.

For me I'm sticking to my unlimited plan

May be can get Singtel engineer to help.

uncle_josh

Reaction score
It is unclear whether this is 2gbps over 2 separate gigabit ports on a single public IP using onr, or 2 separate public IP addresses allocated. Either ways it is still using gpon (up to 2.4gbps), not xgpon (10gbps), hence no special onr with dedicated 10gbps port and bridging

Yes, You will get 2 separate public facing WAN ip address

May be can get Singtel engineer to help.

No need to get Singtel engineer to help lah.

Just upgrade to 2 Gbps plan, then Port 1 to 3 on ONR for family.
Port 4 for Asus router to connect for TS personal use.

Last edited:

ApexMan

Reaction score
so singtel ONR i basicly can connect to a swtich directly
and from switch i can plug in mine router set as AP and others pc into the switch

ccloh

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
strange why there is issue with singtel ONR and Asus router ? i'm using singtel ONR and Asus RT-AC86U. everything just automatically connected without much configuration needed. the only thing is singtel ONR domain is 192.168.1.xxx and the Asus router will have domain 192.168.2.xxx so whatever devices i connected to Asus router will have IP address 192.168.2.xxx.

the Asus RT-AC86U for mine case is configured as router and not AP. i'm also able to setup AiMesh with some other Asus devices as AiMesh node.

poland_ball

Master Member
Reaction score
strange why there is issue with singtel ONR and Asus router ? i'm using singtel ONR and Asus RT-AC86U. everything just automatically connected without much configuration needed. the only thing is singtel ONR domain is 192.168.1.xxx and the Asus router will have domain 192.168.2.xxx so whatever devices i connected to Asus router will have IP address 192.168.2.xxx.

the Asus RT-AC86U for mine case is configured as router and not AP. i'm also able to setup AiMesh with some other Asus devices as AiMesh node.

This already shows its double NAT with the two separate private ip ranges. This is undesirable because incoming connections cannot be port forwarded easily and breaks connectivity for advanced features such as DDNS and VPN.

One of the main reasons why I was very hesitant to consider switching to singtel

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.