HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

SINGTEL broadband ONR - cannot use my ASUS router

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2018, 04:06 PM   #16
Arch-Supremacy Member

I don’t think so. Onr is still being deployed for the plan, so you can’t have another router for it too.

in hindsight, the only other way to ensure your ASUS can get an individual externally assigned IP is if you go for the Singtel 2GB (1 + 1) plan - then your ONR and ASUS can have seperately assigned IPs by singtel.

Upgrade i think don't need to pay any termination charges. Only downgrade need.

Open to correction by @SingTel
renfred89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 04:30 PM   #17

I don’t think so. Onr is still being deployed for the plan, so you can’t have another router for it too.

Singtel use the ONR term too loosely

This is how they describe their 1+1Gb plan in another post

Our 1+1Gbps dual network comes with 2 x 1Gbps connection on our GPON Optical Network Router (ONR), where a 1Gbps bandwidth is dedicated for your gaming needs and another 1Gbps bandwidth can be shared among the rest of the family for daily Internet usage.

The ONR has 4 available active Gbe LAN ports that can each transmit at a maximum speed of 1Gbps. You’ll be able to connect to a wireless Access Point (e.g. WiFi Mesh) or Internet enabled devices (e.g. set-top box, computer, Smart TV) for Ports 1 to 3.

You can then set-up a third-party router (e.g. Razer Sila gaming router) for Port 4 via a wired connection. For WiFi connections, you are able to select between two WiFi Network SSIDs.

Seems port 4 straight pass our a wan IP address for your own router.

Strangely they don't have a 10G port for 2Gbps max on one line unlike other ISP. Maybe that's their way of preventing power users form choosing their plan.
dryteletubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 07:41 PM   #18

Our 1+1Gbps dual network comes with 2 x 1Gbps connection on our GPON Optical Network Router (ONR), where a 1Gbps bandwidth is dedicated for your gaming needs and another 1Gbps bandwidth can be shared among the rest of the family for daily Internet usage.

The ONR has 4 available active Gbe LAN ports that can each transmit at a maximum speed of 1Gbps. You’ll be able to connect to a wireless Access Point (e.g. WiFi Mesh) or Internet enabled devices (e.g. set-top box, computer, Smart TV) for Ports 1 to 3.

You can then set-up a third-party router (e.g. Razer Sila gaming router) for Port 4 via a wired connection. For WiFi connections, you are able to select between two WiFi Network SSIDs.

Strangely they don't have a 10G port for 2Gbps max on one line unlike other ISP. Maybe that's their way of preventing power users form choosing their plan.
Only in Singapore got first world problem of "gamer" internet. Probably broadband price drop a lot from several years ago and now ISP need recoup their profits.

P.s if you want better gaming internet, spend your $$ on Ethernet trunking don't fall for gaming router, broadband plan scam.
squarepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 08:22 PM   #19

I use whizcomms(which uses singtel) ONR with my ASUS router with no problems at all. Only thing I changed was the LAN IP for the router.
isadavmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 09:05 PM   #20
Master Member

It’s a complicated process and it comes with other implications as well. Do a search on how to configure it like disabling dhcp on onr, putting your Asus in dmz etc.

My advice is not to go to that extreme and use Asus as an ap and leave the routing functions to onr.

What is so compelling on Asus that you die die must use?

Do you know bridge mode you don't need the Asus router to DMZ , double NAT will happen.

Last edited by Arucard; 10-10-2018 at 09:08 PM..
Arucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 11:19 PM   #21
Arch-Supremacy Member

I use whizcomms(which uses singtel) ONR with my ASUS router with no problems at all. Only thing I changed was the LAN IP for the router.
That's because Whizcomm provisoned their ONR in "bridge mode" while SingTel configure theirs in "router mode"
mrkiasu likes this.

Last edited by xonix; 11-10-2018 at 07:30 PM..
xonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 11:20 PM   #22
Arch-Supremacy Member

Do you know bridge mode you don't need the Asus router to DMZ , double NAT will happen.
That's why he say "just use as AP" to prevent double NAT

Last edited by xonix; 11-10-2018 at 09:05 AM..
xonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 12:08 AM   #23

The ONR has 4 available active Gbe LAN ports that can each transmit at a maximum speed of 1Gbps. Youíll be able to connect to a wireless Access Point (e.g. WiFi Mesh) or Internet enabled devices (e.g. set-top box, computer, Smart TV) for Ports 1 to 3.

It is unclear whether this is 2gbps over 2 separate gigabit ports on a single public IP using onr, or 2 separate public IP addresses allocated. Either ways it is still using gpon (up to 2.4gbps), not xgpon (10gbps), hence no special onr with dedicated 10gbps port and bridging
miloaisdino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 08:04 AM   #24
Arch-Supremacy Member

That's why he tell "just use as AP" to prevent double NAT
ST is ONR so can not have another router. If use as AP then no Trend Micro protection.
Henry Ng is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 10:21 AM   #25

Actually it seems to me only new SingTel subscribers and those who upgraded to >1Gbps plan get ONR. Existing 1Gbps (or 500Mbps) subscribers (including the-contract) can still use existing ONT and even one-to-one change to new ONT. Please refer to the other thread “SingTel provide ONR or ONT” in NGBN sub-forum.
xiaofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 10:28 AM   #26

BTW what is so bad about Double NAT? I used it briefly (AC Plus as main router, Linksys WRT1900AC as secondary) when I made a mistake configuring Linksys WRT1900AC. Basically I think the ONR connect to the SingTel TV box and your own router . All the other devices connect to your own router. Internet browsing — no problem. NAS file sharing— no issue. Sorry I am not an expert in networking side. My involvement in the open source community centered on USB side.
Old 11-10-2018, 10:35 AM   #27

BTW what is so bad about Double NAT? I used it briefly (AC Plus as main router, Linksys WRT1900AC as secondary) when I made a mistake configuring Linksys WRT1900AC. Basically I think the ONR connect to the SingTel TV box and your own router . All the other devices connect to your own router. Internet browsing — no problem. NAS file sharing— no issue. Sorry I am not an expert in networking side. My involvement in the open source community centered on USB side.
https://www.graemenoble.id.au/post/4...ible-solutions
dryteletubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 10:59 AM   #28

The recommendation seems to be very simple. But I think basically the recommended solution from the author will dumb down your router to become a AP/switch, right? ISP is happy but advanced user may not be happy.
Old 11-10-2018, 02:36 PM   #29

No leh, it's an ONR cause I used all 4 LAN ports behind it. 1 for the router, 1 for TV and 2 for home theatre.
Old 11-10-2018, 02:40 PM   #30

That's because Whizcomm provisoned their ONT in "bridge mode" while SingTel configure theirs in "router mode"
No leh, it's an ONR cause I used all the 4 LAN ports behind it, 1 for router, 1 for TV and 2 for home theatre
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.