HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Singtel HG8244H change to Bridge Mode

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2020, 03:22 PM   #61
Master Member

Btw, anyone know the username and password for the huawei ONR? Tried all the credential posted in hwz thread also cant go in
Old 03-08-2020, 04:41 PM   #62
Master Member

Seriously, SingTel should let users have a choice if they want to set the ONR to ONT mode by adding an option in the web based user settings page.

If they need to troubleshot, just reset to ONR etc.

They can still do their troubleshooting while those who preferred ONT will be happy as well.

Not that difficult to do, SingTel!
alwaysbadboy likes this.
Old 03-08-2020, 07:54 PM   #63

Would this method work if i am using Singtel AC Elite router ?
I read from previous post that it doesn't work for Singtel AC Plus router.
Thanks
asianguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 08:04 PM   #64
Supremacy Member

Would this method work if i am using Singtel AC Elite router ?
I read from previous post that it doesn't work for Singtel AC Plus router.
Thanks
No it does not work.

BTW, the ONR is supposedly a more expensive equipment and belongs to SingTel, you have to return to SingTel once you decide to leave SingTel, at least as per the terms and conditions.

AC Plus is a low end router and it belongs to you.
xiaofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 08:08 PM   #65
Supremacy Member

Btw, anyone know the username and password for the huawei ONR? Tried all the credential posted in hwz thread also cant go in
Are you using the Huawei ONR? If yes, model number and HW/FW revision?

Take note there is now Nokia G240 ONR as well, like the user tuntun.

https://www.singtel.com/personal/sup...nd/routers-ont

List of currently supported Singtel issued equipment for Fibre broadband

Router
Singtel Mesh Routers
AC Plus
AC Elite (AC1900)
Aztech DSL7003GRV(AC)
Aztech DSL 7009GR(AC)

Optical Network Terminals (ONT)
ALU ONT
Ericsson ONT
ZTE ONT

Optical Network Router (ONR)
Huawei HG8244H ONR
Huawei HG8240T5 ONR
Nokia G240 ONR

Last edited by xiaofan; 03-08-2020 at 08:12 PM..
Old 03-08-2020, 10:05 PM   #66

my friend house was installed today with EchoLife HG8240T5. anyone know the method to access? it comes with singtel TV svc. Singtel Mesh router was connected to Port 1 and TV box to port2 ...
tuntun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 10:08 PM   #67
Supremacy Member

my friend house was installed today with EchoLife HG8240T5. anyone know the method to access? it comes with singtel TV svc. Singtel Mesh router was connected to Port 1 and TV box to port2 ...
Try the post before in this thread. On the other hand, better talk to SingTel to get it done officially by SingTel now that you have the successful experiences in doing that -- which means you have the convincing power.

Hi

Anyone aware of the username and password for Singtel ONR HG8240T5? Appreciate the help.

Many thanks

Have you tried
username: support
password: last 10 characters of the ONR's Serial but on reverse e.g. if Router Serial is 1234567890ABCDEF then the password is FEDCBA0987

Last edited by xiaofan; 03-08-2020 at 10:11 PM..
Old 02-10-2020, 04:43 PM   #68
Supremacy Member

Try the post before in this thread. On the other hand, better talk to SingTel to get it done officially by SingTel now that you have the successful experiences in doing that -- which means you have the convincing power.
Latest success story in Huawei ONR bridging, and confirmation that Nokia ONR can not be bridged by SingTel as of now.

Now that SingTel seems to be pretty accommodating to the ONR bridge request, it is better to go through the official channel and talk to SingTel to do that.

BTW, the good thing is that bridged port does not need VLAN.

From AX88U thread.

I just had Singtel bridged my ONR recently.

My original model was the EL HG8244H which has the guide in HWZ to bridge it. But did not really work. So I relied on my M1 connection.

Recently contacted ST to have the ONR bridge at their side. And after some persuasion, they agreed.

Singtel backend tried to push down the bridge configuration but also did not work.

In the end they send a field tech down and change the ONR to the EL HG8240T5. The field tech said the HG8244H does not support the bridge mode.

First set of HG8240T5 was bricked during the backend bridge firmware push. The field tech had to replace a 2nd unit which was pushed successfully.

So one reason why Singtel do not want to do the bridge mode thing is that it might brick the ONR. The field tech said they can only setup the bridge this way, cannot bridge the HG8240T5 before brining it down.

Singtel backend and the field Tech both said the Nokia ONR does not support bridge mode as Nokia did not provide the way to do it to Singtel.

And my Asus wireless router now works as wireless router instead of AP (can see WAN IP).

And I got a pleasant surprise gift from the bridging as well (cannot say what it is).

I can cancel my M1 fibre when contracts end now.

Last edited by xiaofan; 02-10-2020 at 04:46 PM..
Old 03-10-2020, 03:31 AM   #69

hi. whizcomms issued me HG8240T. they didn't provide wifi router so i used an existing old one i have. i noticed the WAN IP is only on the huawei, and my router is just given some 192.168.10.x IP.
so it'd be better to configure it as bridge right, so my router gets the WAN IP?
jtdcjtdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 07:07 AM   #70
Arch-Supremacy Member

hi. whizcomms issued me HG8240T. they didn't provide wifi router so i used an existing old one i have. i noticed the WAN IP is only on the huawei, and my router is just given some 192.168.10.x IP.
so it'd be better to configure it as bridge right, so my router gets the WAN IP?
If the WAN IP is on router. The router should just be configure as bridge or AP mode.
jtdcjtdc likes this.
Old 03-10-2020, 08:04 AM   #71
Supremacy Member

For Whizcomms, you should have requested them to bridge the ONR before installation if you want to use your own router as the main router (to get the WAN address). It is free that way and NO justifications needed, unlike SingTel.

You can still call Whizcomms if you want the ONR bridged to see if they can do that for you for free or not.

If you want to live with the ONR, then you may want to configure your own router in AP mode to avoud Double NAT.

Ref: Double NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
jtdcjtdc likes this.
Old 03-10-2020, 09:28 AM   #72

thank you for the responses. actually, which has the superior routing capability, is it the HG8240T5 or my old Asus RT-N56U? currently the asus is in router mode, so the huawei is just sitting pretty serving only one IP address. the asus takes the work of serving wifi and a gigabit LAN (to another gigabit router as AP mode wired to my room).
Old 03-10-2020, 09:45 AM   #73
Supremacy Member

thank you for the responses. actually, which has the superior routing capability, is it the HG8240T5 or my old Asus RT-N56U? currently the asus is in router mode, so the huawei is just sitting pretty serving only one IP address. the asus takes the work of serving wifi and a gigabit LAN (to another gigabit router as AP mode wired to my room).
So currently you are having double NAT and no issues with that, right? You can choose to live with it. Double NAT has no impact to normal internet browsing.

By switching to bridged ONR (one port ONT mode for Whizcomms, SingTel can be more complicated), you can fully utilize the features of your main router, say when you upgrade your old RT-N56U to a better one with many features.

Neither the ONR or your RT-N56U will have superior routing capability but both can be used. ONR is more limited in FW features though. For example simple things like DNS server change and LAN IP address change may not be possible.

ONR has an advantage if you needed to put a router in the DB box. Wireless router will suffer severe degradation in terms of wireless performance. It also give you more LAN ports.

Last edited by xiaofan; 03-10-2020 at 09:48 AM..
Old 04-10-2020, 08:05 PM   #74

thanks... the HG8240T5 setup on me here allows to change LAN IP address (and its DHCP, which can also set primary & secondary DNS). i had the router going to my room be directly connected to it, so i don't have double NAT (compared to the asus, devices connecting to it get double NAT).

the only thing bugging me on this setup (AP mode, without double NAT) is that i cannot ping the other devices in this same network. the devices who connect to the asus router (router mode, double NAT), do not have this problem.
Old 04-10-2020, 08:58 PM   #75
Supremacy Member

thanks... the HG8240T5 setup on me here allows to change LAN IP address (and its DHCP, which can also set primary & secondary DNS). i had the router going to my room be directly connected to it, so i don't have double NAT (compared to the asus, devices connecting to it get double NAT).

the only thing bugging me on this setup (AP mode, without double NAT) is that i cannot ping the other devices in this same network. the devices who connect to the asus router (router mode, double NAT), do not have this problem.
Good that Whizcomms allow you to change the DNS server setting. Nevertheless the ONR is still the main router.

If you configure the Asus as an AP correctly (no DHCP, static address, say 192.168.1.2), you have only one network and you should be able to ping the device on the network. Every device will get an internal IP address as 192.168.1.x as the ONR acts as the sole DHCP server, no matter it is connected to the ONR or the Asus AP (wired or wireless). So something is not right in your setup. Maybe you forget to disable the DHCP server of the Asus.

When you configure the Asus as a router (say 192.168.2.1), you have double NAT. Then device connected to the ONR (192.168.1.x) will not be able to see the device connected to the Asus (192.168.1.x), and vice versa.

But if all your devices are connected to the Asus, then it is okay to use it in router mode and allow double NAT.

Last edited by xiaofan; 04-10-2020 at 09:00 PM..
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.