Slow speed behind LAN, but fast speed if direct to WAN router - any idea why?

hardfire

Reaction score
Latest update: Fixed. Problem due to bad CAT5e cable (which was branded and not self-made/crimped).
Or maybe what they wrote on the cable was not really CAT5e speeds.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Fiber ISP: ViewQwest

WAN Router: ASUS RT-AC88U (WAN mode)
Xjr20Cj.png

LAN (AP): ASUS RT-AC68U (AP mode)
H7Wa7AR.png

Speedtest: RT-AC88U --> PC
cSK49gl.png

Speedtest: RT-AC88U --> AC68U --> PC
tBHAH7q.png

Both routers/switch have latest firmware. All cables used are CAT 5E rated. No wireless connections. Just testing out the RT-AC68U as a kinda switch / access point for future expansion.

If I connect the PC directly to the WAN router, the speeds are much higher. Any experts can suggest what I did wrong? Is there a setting in the ASUS routers that I may have missed?

Last edited:

hardfire

Reaction score
The ASUS RT-AC68U is actually quite intelligent and auto configures itself into AP mode.

r6PwC2C.png

Last edited:

kashix

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Shouldn’t have slow down. Can you try using CAT6 cable instead? I suspect bottleneck is the cable.

hardfire

Reaction score
Shouldn’t have slow down. Can you try using CAT6 cable instead? I suspect bottleneck is the cable.

but I was using the same cables to direct connect the PC to the WAN router and I was getting Gbps speeds.
evidence:
cSK49gl.png

the only difference is putting the RT-AC68U as a LAN (switch) and connecting the PC to it. Then the test results drop to Mbps :(

Last edited:

hk7310

Reaction score
Could it be your cable connecting between your Asus router and ONT.

but I was using the same cables to direct connect the PC to the WAN router and I was getting Gbps speeds.

the only difference is putting the RT-AC68U as a LAN (switch) and connecting the PC to it. Then the test results drop to Mbps :(

hardfire

Reaction score
Firmware updated ?

Push the reset button for 5-10 secs (until power LED blinks), then setup to AP (everything in auto settings, except wifi password) and try again ?

Also check the link speed in your asus AC88U under system status, is it 1Gbps or 100Mbps.

Ok I done the reset as instructed by the documentation. Holding the WPS and powering-off then powering-on the router. Then had to recreate login / password and wifi details again. Speeds are still the same.

How do I check the link speed? I assume I do it from the ASUS AC88U? or the AC68U? and which exact setting option do I check? I did try to find it in the asus router home pages but couldn't find anything.

hardfire

Reaction score
Could it be your cable connecting between your Asus router and ONT.

No because prior to adding the AC68U modem I did a speed test and my setup was in the Gbps speed range.
evidence:
cSK49gl.png

Only after adding the AC68U, did I start getting the Mbps speeds.

Last edited:

hardfire

Reaction score
updated with evidence that when I connect PC directly to the AC88U, it's in the Gbps range.

So might be a router setting. But which router and what setting - that is the unknown. Was wondering if I should not use AP and manually set Routes?

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
When you performed the test for pc to ac88, was it directly to ac88u lan port or you remove the cable from ac68 and plug it into pc ?

hardfire

Reaction score
When you performed the test for pc to ac88, was it directly to ac88u lan port or you remove the cable from ac68 and plug it into pc ?
yes to both. AC88U -LAN-> PC was using the same cable as AC88U -LAN->AC68U config. The cable was the same.

But now it got me thinking - does it matter if it's a straight-through or crossover cable? These days are the routers/switches smart enough? And since I could get higher speeds when direct connect, I think all my cables are straight-through but how to check?

AC88U -> AC68U Or AC68U -> PC
Cable damaged?
Try ONT-> AC68U -> PC
Hmmm.. cables are fairly new, not super old. But as above, I wonder if straight or crossover cables matter. How to check?

I would like to try your suggestion for ONT -> AC68U -> PC but family is using the network last night and today as well, so I think they will complain to me so much LOL. Maybe when they are not home or something I try again.

hardfire

Reaction score
Latest update: Fixed. Problem due to bad CAT5e cable (which was branded and not self-made/crimped).
Or maybe what they wrote on the cable was not really CAT5e speeds.

Experimented with the faulty CAT5e cable and found the network speeds to drop whenever I used it. I did a visual check on the RJ45 connectors and they look like straight through configuration yet not sure why the speeds dropped. I have put the cable aside and will now continue to connect rest of the home with better cables.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.