HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Starhub Fiber TV Box connection

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-02-2019, 10:35 PM   #46

IMHO

Starhub should not compromise my fiber broadband speed with the inclusion of Fiber TV traffic...This is not acceptable period.

Looks like I should forego fiber tv box and have the normal coaxial one. I have other sources for live TV hehe
Dexter71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2019, 11:19 PM   #47

IMHO

Starhub should not compromise my fiber broadband speed with the inclusion of Fiber TV traffic...This is not acceptable period.
As predicted, there will be complainers if Starhub offered the one cable solution officially.

There is no compromise with their standard setup, keeping the iptv and network traffic separate on separate wiring.

The one cable solution is for the tech savvy and is a totally acceptble solution albeit unsupported. You won’t even notice you’re not getting gigabit speeds and in any case, you’ll probably be on the slower wifi.

I’ve been running this setup for over 2 years now and have not had to touch the switches or router since installation.

Last edited by mmchaisi; 16-02-2019 at 11:27 PM..
mmchaisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2019, 09:12 AM   #48

Here’s a step by step for the multiple tv setup.
All these are workarounds, don’t expect support from Starhub. But it does work.

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/sh...hp?p=118507040
Old 17-02-2019, 09:59 AM   #49

Hereís a step by step for the multiple tv setup.
All these are workarounds, donít expect support from Starhub. But it does work.

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/sh...hp?p=118507040
I'm totally not a networking expert. Just wondering out loud whether any of the following is possible:

- To connect Port 1 and 2 output from Starhub into some sort of router that will combine both signals/networks

- Connect the router (carrying combined signal) to a switch that is connected to ethernet points throughout the home

- Remove the FibreTV tagging from the ports so all packets will be carried to all ethernet points

- Each ethernet point will carry all packets (both for fibre tv and internet).

- Up to device connected to each ethernet point to decide which packets they require (e.g. Fibre TV set-top box will only use the Fibre TV packets and computers/laptops will use the internet packets)

Just thinking out loud. Suspect the Fibre Set-Top box requires their packets to be tagged to work properly.
creator88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2019, 02:55 PM   #50

Just wondering out loud whether any of the following is possible:
- To connect Port 1 and 2 output from Starhub into some sort of router that will combine both signals/networks
Yes, except that router is a switch, more specifically a smart switch which allows vlan tagging.
I suppose you could get a router which lets you vlan tag its ports, but ....

- Connect the router (carrying combined signal) to a switch that is connected to ethernet points throughout the home
Yes, the smart switch does that, combine iptv and internet traffic, and it can be to other switches throughout the home via a single trunk.

- Remove the FibreTV tagging from the ports so all packets will be carried to all ethernet points

?? All packets will be carried to all ports but ports need to be tagged with the vlan id it need to let through.

- Up to device connected to each ethernet point to decide which packets they require (e.g. Fibre TV set-top box will only use the Fibre TV packets and computers/laptops will use the internet packets)

Just thinking out loud. Suspect the Fibre Set-Top box requires their packets to be tagged to work properly.
That's why you need the smart switch so that you can tag the ports which will allow iptv or internet traffic through. On the switch you can tag as many as you want for iptv or internet, but only the port linking the switches will carry both. The device doesn't 'decide which packets they require', rather you have to tell which port you want to use for the device, by tagging it accordingly.

Last edited by mmchaisi; 17-02-2019 at 03:07 PM..
Old 17-02-2019, 06:58 PM   #51
Supremacy Member

I'm totally not a networking expert. Just wondering out loud whether any of the following is possible:

Starhub would most probably prefer to run differently from Singtel.

That is the separation of internet and TV signal to different ports for their easy management & control purpose.
Hence ONT Port-1 for Internet/Router and ONT Port-2 for TV signal which cannot be mixed at ONT device, with preset settings.

Singtel is using vlan settings to manage both internet & TV signal/bandwidth where it also required router to have vlan settings to separate both bandwidth when output to their STB (set top box).
eric3743 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2019, 08:10 PM   #52

?? All packets will be carried to all ports but ports need to be tagged with the vlan id it need to let through.

That's why you need the smart switch so that you can tag the ports which will allow iptv or internet traffic through. On the switch you can tag as many as you want for iptv or internet, but only the port linking the switches will carry both. The device doesn't 'decide which packets they require', rather you have to tell which port you want to use for the device, by tagging it accordingly.
Assuming (I) I connect the two smart switches via a trunking line on Port 1 for both switches A&B, then (ii) tag Ports 2,3, 4 and 5 of Smart Switch B to each be part of both vlan 1091 and vlan (internet), technically each of Ports 2,3,4 and 5 will carry packets from both Vlan 1091 and vlan (internet).

What will happen if I connect the Fibre Set-Top box or a computer to any of Port 2,3,4,5? Will any of the devices work?

Or both Fibre Set-top box and Computer won't work because they are not able to decipher/manage the dual networks on each port?
Old 19-02-2019, 12:14 PM   #53

Assuming (I) I connect the two smart switches via a trunking line on Port 1 for both switches A&B, then (ii) tag Ports 2,3, 4 and 5 of Smart Switch B to each be part of both vlan 1091 and vlan (internet), technically each of Ports 2,3,4 and 5 will carry packets from both Vlan 1091 and vlan (internet).

What will happen if I connect the Fibre Set-Top box or a computer to any of Port 2,3,4,5? Will any of the devices work?

Or both Fibre Set-top box and Computer won't work because they are not able to decipher/manage the dual networks on each port?

If ports 2,3,4,5 are tagged 1091, you should only connect iptv devices. Otherwise configure the ports on the switch as shown below.

Old 19-02-2019, 05:25 PM   #54

Given that Starhub is only able to support a maximum of 4 Fibre-TV Set-Top boxes per ONT/Fibre Port, would the following set-up be technically feasible?

Old 19-02-2019, 05:31 PM   #55

If ports 2,3,4,5 are tagged 1091, you should only connect iptv devices. Otherwise configure the ports on the switch as shown below.

Thanks, very useful reference
Old 24-02-2019, 06:11 PM   #56

SH came yesterday and I had a free LAN point done. Given I have acquired a pair of powerline plug I tried it out and it also worked. I would not have done trunking but SH insist that powerline will not work and they want LAN contractor to do my place up before installation.

What a bummer !

Hope this help others. The managed switches is way too complex for me but apprciate all the kind advices given.
Old 25-02-2019, 07:44 PM   #57

SH came yesterday and I had a free LAN point done. Given I have acquired a pair of powerline plug I tried it out and it also worked. I would not have done trunking but SH insist that powerline will not work and they want LAN contractor to do my place up before installation.

What a bummer !

Hope this help others. The managed switches is way too complex for me but apprciate all the kind advices given.
That's good to know that Powerline Plugs work as well. Which brand / model of powerline plugs did you use?

SH may not always provide the best advice, they usually provide you with the method that is easiest for them
Old 25-02-2019, 10:50 PM   #58

I used DLink DHP-P701AV

Smooth n no lag considering the power lines in my place is one big mess lol
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.