www.hardwarezone.com.sg

www.hardwarezone.com.sg (/)
-   Internet Bandwidth & Networking Clinic (https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/internet-bandwidth-networking-clinic-4/)
-   -   Starhub Fiber TV Box connection (https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/internet-bandwidth-networking-clinic-4/starhub-fiber-tv-box-connection-5990817.html)

Dexter71 11-02-2019 09:25 PM

Starhub Fiber TV Box connection

Hi All

The SH techs came today for installation and realised that my connection point (far from my TV) has only one LAN point so they cant activate my plan.

They said that the Fiber TV needs to be wired to the ONT box via RJ45 directly. I cannot run internet from ONT to my router and then connect the fiber box to the router. I only have a single LAN run from ONT area to my TV and its physically far away.

I can't understand why the fiber tv box must connect to the ONT Box and not any LAN point with internet gateway.

Can someone confirm your own setup pls

I now have been asked to switch my TV box to the normal coaxial one.

Thx

eric3743 11-02-2019 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dexter71 (Post 119132598)
Hi All

The SH techs came today for installation and realised that my connection point (far from my TV) has only one LAN point so they cant activate my plan.

They said that the Fiber TV needs to be wired to the ONT box via RJ45 directly. I cannot run internet from ONT to my router and then connect the fiber box to the router. I only have a single LAN run from ONT area to my TV and its physically far away.

I can't understand why the fiber tv box must connect to the ONT Box and not any LAN point with internet gateway.

Thx

Starhub Fibre TV STB (Set top box) has to wired connected to ONT Port-2 only.

While ONT Port-1 is for Internet/router which cannot be mixed with TV service.

If you take Fibre TV you can request for 1 trunking/conversion which is Free in most case.

If you cannot do ethernet cabling trunking then you may go for > Ethernet Over Coaxial for Fibre TV

Even if you go back to cable coaxial STB this cable network will cease in end June 2019, and not sure if they allow or not.

Dexter71 12-02-2019 07:36 AM

Thanks Eric

I took a look at ethernet over coxial and this dont work for my network as the ont box is far from the utility box.

Would you know if LAN power plug will work?

Henry Ng 12-02-2019 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dexter71 (Post 119136606)
Thanks Eric

I took a look at ethernet over coxial and this dont work for my network as the ont box is far from the utility box.

Simple and cheap.
Get contractor to run another Cat.6 Lan cable from ONT to TV.

Dexter71 12-02-2019 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henry Ng (Post 119136773)
Simple and cheap.
Get contractor to run another Cat.6 Lan cable from ONT to TV.

Yes but my current LAN network are all concealed and would like to avoid trunking if i can

eric3743 12-02-2019 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dexter71 (Post 119136606)
Thanks Eric

You mean powerline adapters, yes it is possible it would works.

Example, TP-Link AV2 > AV1000 2-Port Gigabit Passthrough Powerline Starter Kit

Have you try to check with Starhub on options available to you which they may include powerline beside EOCC adapters.

However it may be possible to use 1 ethernet cabling for both Internet & TV services but with complicate settings & devices such as 2 Managed Switches.

Refer to > Starhub IPTV in Switched network - help

Qubicfactor 12-02-2019 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dexter71 (Post 119132598)
Hi All

Thx

You can use two managed/smart switches to do vlan trunking. Essentially lets you send two separate networks down the same wire without mixing them. Try looking for the Mikrotik RB260GS (you will need 2 units, one at each end).

Henry Ng 12-02-2019 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dexter71 (Post 119137447)
Yes but my current LAN network are all concealed and would like to avoid trunking if i can

Honestly such trunking is thin and small so you have no problem.

Dexter71 12-02-2019 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qubicfactor (Post 119145893)
You can use two managed/smart switches to do vlan trunking. Essentially lets you send two separate networks down the same wire without mixing them. Try looking for the Mikrotik RB260GS (you will need 2 units, one at each end).

Interesting idea!

So ONT Port 1 to L router and router to RB260GS and RB260GS to LAN Point

And ONT Port 2 to RB260GS and RB260GS to the same LAN Point.

Can I use any other gigabit switch / hub i.e. those DLink type? Or has to be this particular one?

Thanks

eric3743 12-02-2019 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dexter71 (Post 119153222)
Interesting idea!

So ONT Port 1 to L router and router to RB260GS and RB260GS to LAN Point

And ONT Port 2 to RB260GS and RB260GS to the same LAN Point.

Can I use any other gigabit switch / hub i.e. those DLink type? Or has to be this particular one?

Thanks

This Mikrotik RB260GS is a manage switch itself, beside there are other types.

Example of the layout with TP-Link managed switches at both end of the lan/data points.

https://i.imgur.com/EGwrXX1.jpg

Dexter71 13-02-2019 12:15 AM

Hi

Is this tp link considered to be a managed switch ? Itís indicated as smart switch on the product description

Thx

vaxvms 13-02-2019 03:37 PM

i also thinking how to link my home starhub box as now connected to antenna point since on cable

hall one no issue as ONT is near to TV

but room one guess have to return to starhub as re-wiring is out of question for my place

eric3743 13-02-2019 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dexter71 (Post 119154588)
Hi

Is this tp link considered to be a managed switch ? It’s indicated as smart switch on the product description

Thx

Please refer to this > How to choose between a managed, or unmanaged network switch

In the section "Managed" it also provide a list of managed switches, including "TP-Link 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Web Managed Easy Smart Switch".
Also in > TP-Link TL-SG105E specification there info/details on configuration

For more detail refer to my post #6 on the 2nd link "Starhub IPTV in Switched network".

As in section on "Unmanaged" i have this > "D-Link 8 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Desktop Switch".

eric3743 13-02-2019 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vaxvms (Post 119164755)
i also thinking how to link my home starhub box as now connected to antenna point since on cable

hall one no issue as ONT is near to TV

but room one guess have to return to starhub as re-wiring is out of question for my place

Well you can check with Starhub on using > Ethernet Over Coaxial for Fibre TV
Since you could use this for the STB in the bedroom with cable coaxial point.

Refer to this post/thread > https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/n...#post118942346

mmchaisi 14-02-2019 07:29 AM

Check out this thread

Starhub IPTV in Switched network - help
http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/sh....php?t=5143406