StarHub Google Wifi- Is it Worth it?

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hello everyone...

going to move house soon.. and going to upgrade to the 1GB fiber thingie from starhub.

the thing is.. the contractor telling me that now all the fiber points coming in are at the kitchen 'box'. i think its quite typical now. And that the router will be there... probably the ASUS one from starhub is what i will go with...

so now i am a little concern about how far it can reach. i have not tried it yet.. but i am thinking of connecting one of the google wifi to the router and then the other 2 i spread around the whole place...

then my friend tell me that i should save the money and use the xiami wifi repeater ver 2 instead.. same much more money and wont have that much lag.

i tried searching on comparing these.. but cant seem to find any proper data.. just some article that say not really need mesh in sg....

i have a lot of 'user' in the family.. accessing the internet at different places...

some friend even tell me to buy both.. and cover everything!!

please advise...

really deep thread... will take some time to read...

There are many other threads on this matter, spread over this Section.

Anyway you can list out with layout of your premise here or on the other thread.
Then most of us here will able to guide you along.
That's how most did.. not necessary to read each every post.

revhappy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
gQvhWCb.jpg
Lol, it says "usually" fast enough to stream 4k video. I thought even Netflix site says 15 or 20 Mbps is enough for 4k video.

Sent from Xiaomi REDMI NOTE 4 using GAGT

ksksksks

Reaction score
I guess they don’t want to bring ur hopes up too much.
Anyway I tried Netgear orbi as well.

Performance goes to Netgear orbi.!
Range goes to Google wifi

Lol, it says "usually" fast enough to stream 4k video. I thought even Netflix site says 15 or 20 Mbps is enough for 4k video.

Sent from Xiaomi REDMI NOTE 4 using GAGT

akira16_7

Reaction score
Just checking if this is the norm speeds of Google Wifi ~ 650-700mbps average for 1 month usage.

Any possibility to go higher ?

On M1 Fibre 1000mbps plan.

Really quite stable with no disconnections or intermittent lost of wifi comparing to my previous Asus AC88 and Asus Lyra.

Wryer

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Sorry to revive an old thread.

My contract is up soon and I am considering giving this Google WiFi mesh solution a try.

Im currently using a conventional router solution (default free one given by Starhub as a matter of fact - the gaudy cylindrical one), and there is a dead zone in one of my rooms. The router is no more than 7metres away, but unfortunately it has no line of sight to the zone because of walls and placement. Based on speedtest, it's as bad as 5mbps.

Will the Google mesh help in this case? The obvious solution is to place one of the nodes in that deadzone room. But does the node need direct line of sight to the main unit? If it is, then it doesn't solve my problem right?

Appreciate some help. Not a networking person by any means.

Last edited:

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

My contract is up soon and I am considering giving this Google WiFi mesh solution a try.

Im currently using a conventional router solution (default free one given by Starhub as a matter of fact - the gaudy cylindrical one), and there is a dead zone in one of my rooms. The router is no more than 7metres away, but unfortunately it has no line of sight to the zone because of walls and placement. Based on speedtest, it's as bad as 5mbps.

Will the Google mesh help in this case? The obvious solution is to place one of the nodes in that deadzone room. But does the node need direct line of sight to the main unit? If it is, then it doesn't solve my problem right?

You can't place it in the dead zone. Try somewhere in the middle of your house and preferrably the relay node has line of sight to the main node.

Wryer

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You can't place it in the dead zone. Try somewhere in the middle of your house and preferrably the relay node has line of sight to the main node.

Thanks. I guess I will have to try and see how it goes. Although the distance is very short, there is no ideal place in between the deadzone and the main mode with a power point. :(

chehjin

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

are you able to pull a lan cable?

I can share that I have 1 node with no line of sight and is blocked by 1 bedroom wall. Distance about 1m apart. The mesh works but at a much slower speed. But slow internet beats no internet. Slow as in comparatively slower but still good enough for 4k youtube and what not.

Wryer

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
are you able to pull a lan cable?

I can share that I have 1 node with no line of sight and is blocked by 1 bedroom wall. Distance about 1m apart. The mesh works but at a much slower speed. But slow internet beats no internet. Slow as in comparatively slower but still good enough for 4k youtube and what not.

Unfortunately the LAN cable is not a viable option without significant tearing down. Else I would pull one directly to my dead zone.

Thanks for your illustration. It sure sounds to be working better than mine. I can't even load YouTube on most days.

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately the LAN cable is not a viable option without significant tearing down. Else I would pull one directly to my dead zone.

Thanks for your illustration. It sure sounds to be working better than mine. I can't even load YouTube on most days.

if you don't need very high speed, i.e a few hundreds Mbps, you may want to use power line adaptor instead of lan cable. much cheaper than mesh, most likely faster since you can't find a good spot for the mesh node.

Last edited:

chehjin

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

just to be clear, just putting 1 node in the dead zone will not magically improve it, you have to either do a lan backhaul or like my case, have a in between node to transmit.

so my 1st google wifi is linked by lan to the 2nd node, then the 3rd node behind the wall is by pure wifi link to the 2nd node.

Wryer

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
just to be clear, just putting 1 node in the dead zone will not magically improve it, you have to either do a lan backhaul or like my case, have a in between node to transmit.

so my 1st google wifi is linked by lan to the 2nd node, then the 3rd node behind the wall is by pure wifi link to the 2nd node.

Thanks. Understand. I'll have to play around to find a spot for the in-between node you are talking about. I might explore the power line option first.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.