HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

StarHub Google Wifi- Is it Worth it?

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2017, 01:04 PM   #1

StarHub Google Wifi- Is it Worth it?

I am considering signing up for Starhub 1Gbps Fibre Broadband with Google Wifi at Comex 2017. Currently with Singtel 500Mbps Fibre Broadband (contract ended) and getting poor wifi coverage and speed drop in my 3 rooms. When the room door is closed, the wifi signal sometime disconnects. It's a 5rm HDB flat.

Will the Google wifi 3pack be a overkill to improve wifi signal in my rooms? If my room door is closed, will there still be a line of sight for Google wifi to work? Is a wifi repeater/booster/homeplug sufficient? Any cheaper brands to recommend? Thanks
Vinnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 05:25 PM   #2
Master Member

For HDB, try homeplugs.
x1243x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 06:09 PM   #3
Arch-Supremacy Member

Well, I won't recommend that..

For HDB, try homeplugs.
renfred89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 06:11 PM   #4
Arch-Supremacy Member

If u closed a door, probably the signal will be attenuated and your speed decreases. WiFi mesh is not designed to overcome physical limitation but merely increases coverage based on an open air concept when nodes are strategically placed..

I am considering signing up for Starhub 1Gbps Fibre Broadband with Google Wifi at Comex 2017. Currently with Singtel 500Mbps Fibre Broadband (contract ended) and getting poor wifi coverage and speed drop in my 3 rooms. When the room door is closed, the wifi signal sometime disconnects. It's a 5rm HDB flat.

Will the Google wifi 3pack be a overkill to improve wifi signal in my rooms? If my room door is closed, will there still be a line of sight for Google wifi to work? Is a wifi repeater/booster/homeplug sufficient? Any cheaper brands to recommend? Thanks
Old 02-09-2017, 06:13 PM   #5

Would only recommend if your room is those very far aparts. Tested coverage is good.
Long corridor those.
Old 02-09-2017, 06:41 PM   #6
High Supremacy Member

Homeplugs are just a big mistake for home networking
kennyg1969 and chesterqw like this.
|||||||||| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 06:54 PM   #7
Master Member

I just switched from asus ac87u + Asus rt-hp12 to a set of tplink deco which is about the same as Google wifi... now my reception has improved no more dead spot and dreaded delay switch over...

Go for the mesh! It's worth it
ccmheoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 07:37 PM   #8

does the google wifi thing have ethernet port?

i play game prefer to use ethernet cable connection.....and i read that the google wifi not recommended to use with existing router.

so if google wifi is just pure wifi without ethernet, then not so good for gaming
numbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 07:48 PM   #9

i play game prefer to use ethernet cable connection.....and i read that the google wifi not recommended to use with existing router.

so if google wifi is just pure wifi without ethernet, then not so good for gaming

Have.not those 4 ports though. 2 points.
dreamer0077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 07:52 PM   #10
Supremacy Member

extender is cheaper and works similarly. good for devices tt dont move, eg tv

mesh is more intelligent and you do not needto worrt about switching

Last edited by yusoffb01; 03-09-2017 at 07:54 PM..
yusoffb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 08:14 PM   #11
Master Member

If the router is line in sight to all the room doors then this is similarly to putting Google Mesh.

If 5 room flat is bto from mid-2013 then you can convert tel point to data point as it is cat-6 cable.
Maybe by having a router in the master room which is situated at the end, wireless signal can be detect in the next room.
Whereas the main router in living room the signal could be detect in the 3rd room.
This depend and may have to trial test.

eric3743 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 10:17 PM   #12
Arch-Supremacy Member

Google wifi got 2 ethernet ports. If you're gaming, connecting to the node which is on wireless backhaul will spike up your latency.

Old 04-09-2017, 08:27 AM   #13

If the router is line in sight to all the room doors then this is similarly to putting Google Mesh.

If 5 room flat is bto from mid-2013 then you can convert tel point to data point as it is cat-6 cable.
Maybe by having a router in the master room which is situated at the end, wireless signal can be detect in the next room.
Whereas the main router in living room the signal could be detect in the 3rd room.
This depend and may have to trial test.

Converting it to data points got charges unless is free due to whatsoever reasons...
Old 04-09-2017, 12:18 PM   #14

May I know what isp you use with tplink deco ? Do you use Tp link deco as router too?

I just switched from asus ac87u + Asus rt-hp12 to a set of tplink deco which is about the same as Google wifi... now my reception has improved no more dead spot and dreaded delay switch over...

Go for the mesh! It's worth it
Old 05-09-2017, 03:42 AM   #15
Master Member

Converting it to data points got charges unless is free due to whatsoever reasons...
For Starhub sign up there is one free connection on data point either via cable trucking or conversion.
Additional connections are chargeable at $100+ per connection.

eric3743 is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.