HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Starhub Modem / Router

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2018, 04:32 PM   #1

Starhub Modem / Router

Hi all, I have been using Starhub Fibre for many years.
It is very standard for Starhub to provide a free modem after re-contracting. Whenever I try to switch to new equipment, the connection is always intermittent.
Then I have to use back to old equipment to get the connection working normally.
Did I miss out any steps? Shouldn't the new equipment be better than the old one?

Can someone help please?
ki113r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 07:02 PM   #2
Supremacy Member

Hi all, I have been using Starhub Fibre for many years.
It is very standard for Starhub to provide a free modem after re-contracting. Whenever I try to switch to new equipment, the connection is always intermittent.
Then I have to use back to old equipment to get the connection working normally.
Did I miss out any steps? Shouldn't the new equipment be better than the old one?

Can someone help please?
1. In the initial stage to connect it is best to power off the ONT before connect the ethernet cable to the new/used Router and then to computer.
ONT -> Router -> Computer

2. Next is to power on the ONT first and best to wait for the PON indicator to show green light stable (about 1 minute) before power on the Router.

3. Then may wait for about 2 minutes to power on the computer, that's after router have completed booting process.
It is best to connect to the computer to update the Router firmware to the latest.
As most routers are on-the-shelf & in production for some time, hence it is to update to the latest firmware to ensure it is up-to-date.
Usually this is advice in the simple Guide that come with the Router in the package.
At the same time do the necessary changes in the router settings as in SSID & password and other optional settings as you wish.

4. Finally connect your wireless devices on the SSID/password as set by user.

The main point is that to push new IP to the ONT for the new Router.

The basic reason that existing Router can re-connect and surf without issue is that most Router retain previous IP in the router itself.
Hence if connect another new Router there may have a conflict in the IP as multiply IP may give intermittent connection issues.

So it is best to have a new IP to push to the ONT to new Router.

In summary, there are usually 2 main problems that can cause intermittent connection issues on either
(a) Router firmware may be outdated or may required to reset; &or (b) Multiply IP conflicted.

I did encountered multiply IP when i connect another Routers.
This was confirmed by Starhub tech support staff which they refresh my IP to remove the multi IP issue.
eric3743 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 10:55 AM   #3

1. In the initial stage to connect it is best to power off the ONT before connect the ethernet cable to the new/used Router and then to computer.
ONT -> Router -> Computer

2. Next is to power on the ONT first and best to wait for the PON indicator to show green light stable (about 1 minute) before power on the Router.

3. Then may wait for about 2 minutes to power on the computer, that's after router have completed booting process.
It is best to connect to the computer to update the Router firmware to the latest.
As most routers are on-the-shelf & in production for some time, hence it is to update to the latest firmware to ensure it is up-to-date.
Usually this is advice in the simple Guide that come with the Router in the package.
At the same time do the necessary changes in the router settings as in SSID & password and other optional settings as you wish.

4. Finally connect your wireless devices on the SSID/password as set by user.

The main point is that to push new IP to the ONT for the new Router.

The basic reason that existing Router can re-connect and surf without issue is that most Router retain previous IP in the router itself.
Hence if connect another new Router there may have a conflict in the IP as multiply IP may give intermittent connection issues.

So it is best to have a new IP to push to the ONT to new Router.

In summary, there are usually 2 main problems that can cause intermittent connection issues on either
(a) Router firmware may be outdated or may required to reset; &or (b) Multiply IP conflicted.

I did encountered multiply IP when i connect another Routers.
This was confirmed by Starhub tech support staff which they refresh my IP to remove the multi IP issue.
Thanks a lot for the detailed explanation. Will try these steps out.
ki113r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 12:02 PM   #4
Supremacy Member

Thanks a lot for the detailed explanation. Will try these steps out.
Should you still encountered do contact 1633 direct to Broadband tech support line, not cs.
Broadband tech support is 24/7.

The tech support staff will able to see if there is any issue in your connection at their end.

Sometimes if the IP or connection not stable and unable to resolve thru troubleshooting or want to have a change in IP.
You can request to refresh IP for you.
Follow their procedure as there is a need to power off both ONT/Router for them to do their part first.

This is to push new IP to your ONT and router from Starhub instead as mentioned in my previous post by ownself, option.
I did request twice before and have no problem with the tech support staff as they are helpful.
eric3743 is online now   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.