Starhub - Problems with HubStation HD set top box

AnDyLe0

Reaction score
Also the lagging menu was due to the remote control.

the lagging menu only happens during bootup or exit from catchup/on-demand... most probably is due to downloading info and channel guide causing the device very busy.

AnDyLe0

Reaction score
Overall, the new Hubstation HD box solved all the problems but still sucks on the remote control issue.

so no more crash and reboot at all? :s11:
my old hubstation hd the on-demand features recently quite unstable... sometimes crash and reboot when press the yellow button.
the 1st day they revamped VOD as movies on-demand and shows on-demand (few days ago), once i accessed, it crashed and rebooted... but today no problem... seems to be server issue.

AnDyLe0

Reaction score
you should change to a new model and try.

i believe most of the old hubstation hd users don't want to lose all the recordings.
unless it's proven that new model don't have crash issue.
but if the crash is due to firmware bugs... then changing new model won't solve it.
unless it's caused by low memory, then upgrade to new model may be more stable. :s7:

sohbengkuan

Reaction score
i believe most of the old hubstation hd users don't want to lose all the recordings.
unless it's proven that new model don't have crash issue.
but if the crash is due to firmware bugs... then changing new model won't solve it.
unless it's caused by low memory, then upgrade to new model may be more stable. :s7:

It's your choice and tolerance. I have lost many recordings when they kept changing my box too

victoriatan

Reaction score
Problems =(

Hi All,

I really need your help. My Starhub HD STB was just delivered, but after plugging in all the cables, there are still 2 main problems:

1. The picture is only in black and white. I have called up tech support and I have:
(a) unplugged/replugged all the cables;
(b) unscrewed/re-screwed the main cable from the cable point
(c) tried using the red/blue/green cable instead of the yellow/white/red cable
(d) restarted tv and STB countless times

It is definitely not my TV as MIO works fine

2. Since the component cables did not work, I tried the HDMI cable. However, my Samsung TV could not detect the Starhub STB.
- my MIO is connected by HDMI so I know it is not my TV. I have also tried plugging the HDMI cable into a different port, but it still does not work.

Anyone has any suggestions? The Starhub technician is coming over tomorrow, but I want to ensure that I have not missed out anything obvious because there is a transport charge ($50+) if it is not their hardware or network problem.

Thanks so much in advance

sohbengkuan

Reaction score
Hi All,

I really need your help. My Starhub HD STB was just delivered, but after plugging in all the cables, there are still 2 main problems:

1. The picture is only in black and white. I have called up tech support and I have:
(a) unplugged/replugged all the cables;
(b) unscrewed/re-screwed the main cable from the cable point
(c) tried using the red/blue/green cable instead of the yellow/white/red cable
(d) restarted tv and STB countless times

It is definitely not my TV as MIO works fine

2. Since the component cables did not work, I tried the HDMI cable. However, my Samsung TV could not detect the Starhub STB.
- my MIO is connected by HDMI so I know it is not my TV. I have also tried plugging the HDMI cable into a different port, but it still does not work.

Anyone has any suggestions? The Starhub technician is coming over tomorrow, but I want to ensure that I have not missed out anything obvious because there is a transport charge ($50+) if it is not their hardware or network problem.

Thanks so much in advance

Have you checked the settings in the box? If all ok, then you box should be faulty. Bu hen again, tot your box was delivered? Rem to ask for the new HD hubstation. Smaller in size. That one solved all problems except remote control.

CrazyBlue

Reaction score
Hmm, my remote suddenly cocked up 1-2 days ago. It can still operate my TV, but the starhub mode is not responding. Cannot turn on, cannot turn off, cannot do anything.

I thought the battery ran out and after replacing it, nothing.

Just now after buying lunch i managed to turn on the set-top with the remote. I thought that was hope! But after that nothing happened.

First time after 2 years. So very weird. Is it my set top or the remote?

whaleshark87

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hmm, my remote suddenly cocked up 1-2 days ago. It can still operate my TV, but the starhub mode is not responding. Cannot turn on, cannot turn off, cannot do anything.

I thought the battery ran out and after replacing it, nothing.

Just now after buying lunch i managed to turn on the set-top with the remote. I thought that was hope! But after that nothing happened.

First time after 2 years. So very weird. Is it my set top or the remote?

When you press on the remote did it have a red blink?

chuppachop

Reaction score
Had the same problem previously. There is red blink but no reaction fr the HD hubstation. Problem solved after changing the remote. :o

Paul Lee

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
After faithfully serving me for 1.5 years, my Hubstation HD (model DC182SHB)recently started giving me very some strange problems.

After powering on, the set will go through its boot up cycle (the time display goes from blank to UK time to spore time) and the screen will show 'loading .. pls wait' before disappearing. The channel will not load and the screen remains blank.

If you try pressing a channel, sometimes the info bar will show up and sometimes it will not. Sometimes after leaving the set for a while, and switching off and on the TV, the set will be alive and work perfectly. But it doesn't always happen.

No matter how many times you try to reboot the set, the channels dun always load properly. It the strangest problem I ever encountered with the set because when you managed to get the set working, it works properly including your recording and playback.

I'm still contemplating whether I should change the set cos its a hassle and I would prefer not to lost some of the shows I recorded but has not seen. In fact, on more than a few occasions I was on the verge of unplugging and making my way to the Starhub Service Centre when it become operational and I changed my mind.

Anyone else has the same problems with their HS HD? I doubt it the problem just seems so strange.

sohbengkuan

Reaction score
After faithfully serving me for 1.5 years, my Hubstation HD (model DC182SHB)recently started giving me very some strange problems.

After powering on, the set will go through its boot up cycle (the time display goes from blank to UK time to spore time) and the screen will show 'loading .. pls wait' before disappearing. The channel will not load and the screen remains blank.

If you try pressing a channel, sometimes the info bar will show up and sometimes it will not. Sometimes after leaving the set for a while, and switching off and on the TV, the set will be alive and work perfectly. But it doesn't always happen.

No matter how many times you try to reboot the set, the channels dun always load properly. It the strangest problem I ever encountered with the set because when you managed to get the set working, it works properly including your recording and playback.

I'm still contemplating whether I should change the set cos its a hassle and I would prefer not to lost some of the shows I recorded but has not seen. In fact, on more than a few occasions I was on the verge of unplugging and making my way to the Starhub Service Centre when it become operational and I changed my mind.

Anyone else has the same problems with their HS HD? I doubt it the problem just seems so strange.

Most of the time, it is the remote control problem. But since you mentioned the weird things that the box did without the remote control, then probably the box is dying on you.

Suggest you allocate some time to watch finish all the shows you recorded and change the box or just change the box and start all over again.

No need to feedback to StarHub because they will not do anything. I spent years chasing them to make things right which they did with the small new HS HD. Except remote control.

Paul Lee

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
This is totally unrelated to my problem but I happened to find out that Starhub is launching a Smart TV Vaule Added Service for the HD Interactive Box. This service allows recording of shows with the use of an external HD. In order words, it turns your regular HD set-top box into a Hubstation box.

Read More Here

Let do the maths:

Hubstation HD rental: $14.98 (w/GST)

HD Interactive Set-top Box Rental: $6.42 (w/GST)
Smart TV VAS: $4.28 (w/GST)

So in summary, it may be cheaper just to get the HD Interactive Box + Smart TV VAS now compared to using the Hubstation; but only if you have only 1 set-top box in yr house.

I just realise that the additional box rental for the HD Interactive box is also $14.98 (w/GST) making the Hubstation a cheaper option still (for me since I have 3 STB in my house)

So I think those with only 1 STB in the house and dun make use of the free internet access may want to consider this option. Of you cos you need to get your own HDD for the recording.

kun1he2

Master Member
Reaction score
Interesting - wonder if it effectively makes the HD Interactive box a Hubstation HD (with no internet access), e.g. does it have dual tuner? i.e. record one show but watch another channel?

One of the qualms about hubstation hd is that all the programmes you've recorded in its hdd are not transferable to a replacement hubstation hd. I assume this new service kinda addresses this issue.

Paul Lee

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Good question. I think the best way to think of this VAS is Hubstation-Lite.

I think if you are unable to record one show and watch another channel, then its pointless to subscribe to this VAS, so I'm assuming that its possible. Maybe the HD interactive box already has dual tuner capability out-of-the-box; but that just my assumption. So maybe those who are thinking of subscribing better make sure.

As for transferability of recorded shows, I won't keep my hope up too much. I remember a brave bro here once try to disect the 1st generation Hubstation and concluded that it was not possible to extract the recorded show. So I'm guessing that there will be some protection for the shows recorded. However, if the show is on yr HDD and yr interactive HD set go dead, maybe the recorded show can still be accessed from another new HD interactive set.

I finally run of my patience and decided to forgo all my recorded shows and went to swap a new Hubstation set. Its the new model DC1804SB, the slimmer model with an external power supply. Both USBs has been de-powered which means I can't use my laptop cooler for the set any more.

sohbengkuan

Reaction score
Good question. I think the best way to think of this VAS is Hubstation-Lite.

I think if you are unable to record one show and watch another channel, then its pointless to subscribe to this VAS, so I'm assuming that its possible. Maybe the HD interactive box already has dual tuner capability out-of-the-box; but that just my assumption. So maybe those who are thinking of subscribing better make sure.

As for transferability of recorded shows, I won't keep my hope up too much. I remember a brave bro here once try to disect the 1st generation Hubstation and concluded that it was not possible to extract the recorded show. So I'm guessing that there will be some protection for the shows recorded. However, if the show is on yr HDD and yr interactive HD set go dead, maybe the recorded show can still be accessed from another new HD interactive set.

I finally run of my patience and decided to forgo all my recorded shows and went to swap a new Hubstation set. Its the new model DC1804SB, the slimmer model with an external power supply. Both USBs has been de-powered which means I can't use my laptop cooler for the set any more.

I have every intention to terminate StarHub cable and get MIO to record shows. But MIO needs new line, new modem to support another box. Crap. So stay put.

kun1he2

Master Member
Reaction score

Huh? The new hubstation hd USB ports (2 right?) are electrically dead?
Thanks for the heads up... :)

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.