HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

TP-Link Deco M4 (2-Pack) or TP-Link Archer AX10 Wireless Router, and mesh questions

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By xiaofan

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-06-2020, 10:31 AM   #1
Supremacy Member

TP-Link Deco M4 (2-Pack) or TP-Link Archer AX10 Wireless Router, and mesh questions

TP-Link Deco M4 (2-Pack) @ S$99

TP-Link Archer AX10 Wireless Router @ S$89

how do you tell if your devices support fast roaming protocol, IEEE 802.11k/v/r for mesh network?
if it doesnt, can still use properly in a mesh network?

most of my devices are 802.11b/g/n

like my current laptop, that uses Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260, dont think it supports the roaming protocol.
razorlala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2020, 11:37 AM   #2
Arch-Supremacy Member

TP-Link Deco M4 (2-Pack) @ S$99

TP-Link Archer AX10 Wireless Router @ S$89

how do you tell if your devices support fast roaming protocol, IEEE 802.11k/v/r for mesh network?
if it doesnt, can still use properly in a mesh network?

most of my devices are 802.11b/g/n

like my current laptop, that uses Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260, dont think it supports the roaming protocol.
Laptop wifi card 8260 is support
https://www.intel.sg/content/www/xa/...etworking.html

You need to google to find out if they are supported.
Old 28-06-2020, 11:53 AM   #3
Supremacy Member

Laptop wifi card 8260 is support
https://www.intel.sg/content/www/xa/...etworking.html

You need to google to find out if they are supported.
wat happens if i use mesh router for devices that dont support?
it will disconnect n reconnect?

last thing i want is i go act smart and buy mesh then walk around house with work laptop it keep reconnect n disrupt my video conferencing

Last edited by razorlala; 28-06-2020 at 12:58 PM..
Old 28-06-2020, 01:58 PM   #4
Arch-Supremacy Member

wat happens if i use mesh router for devices that dont support?
it will disconnect n reconnect?

last thing i want is i go act smart and buy mesh then walk around house with work laptop it keep reconnect n disrupt my video conferencing

When mesh move you from 1 ap another sometimes will have packet drop (not all mesh/device will have packet drop).

So very hard to confirm if you will video call drop when switching between mesh node.

Although I do not have video call drop when video call on facebook & IG video call.
Old 28-06-2020, 05:57 PM   #5
Supremacy Member

When mesh move you from 1 ap another sometimes will have packet drop (not all mesh/device will have packet drop).

So very hard to confirm if you will video call drop when switching between mesh node.

Although I do not have video call drop when video call on facebook & IG video call.
were your devices 802.11k/r/v mesh roaming compatible?
Old 28-06-2020, 06:00 PM   #6
Arch-Supremacy Member

were your devices 802.11k/r/v mesh roaming compatible?

Yes. Mostly are ac supported device that is roaming around between the mesh node.
magix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2020, 06:30 PM   #7
Supremacy Member

Yes. Mostly are ac supported device that is roaming around between the mesh node.
ahh.. im wondering what happens if a non-k/v/r compatible device were to roam.
worst thing happening is get re-connected when i walked from my room to the kitchen on my old laptop(using for work) during vid conference

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3BX6vVr1Uk
seems the TP-Link Deco M4, if not connected to each other via ethernet cable, speed will drop by half per node.

sian now i stuck between 1 main router(AX10) or a 2 Deco M4 mesh for my hdb flat lol.
Old 28-06-2020, 06:38 PM   #8
Supremacy Member

worst thing happening is get re-connected when i walked from my room to the kitchen on my old laptop(using for work) during vid conference

seems the TP-Link Deco M4, if not connected to each other via ethernet cable, speed will drop by half per node.

sian now i stuck between 1 main router(AX10) or a 2 Deco M4 mesh for my hdb flat lol.
This is normal. It’s a basic tier mesh.
kashix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2020, 09:22 PM   #9
Master Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3BX6vVr1Uk[/url]

Actually this is normal for dual band Mesh solution when you use wireless backhaul, you will expect 40-50% performance drop in the Mesh node, even if you buy more expensive Mesh solution like Asus Lyra Trio, or even if you AIMesh two best AC router like 2x RT-AC86U.

If you do not want to suffer loss of the 5GHz performance with wireless backhaul, then Triband Mesh solution like TP-Link Deco M9+ or Asus Lyra.

Dual band AX3000 or better grade Mesh may be a bit better because the 5GHz bandwidth is higher so the performance loss on the Mesh node may not be as bad, but I believe still significant.

Last edited by xiaofan; 28-06-2020 at 09:27 PM..
xiaofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2020, 09:23 PM   #10
Master Member

I think you can buy a AX10 first to see how it goes. It will get OneMesh compatibility soon. If the coverage is not good enough, buy a OneMesh compatible range extender to form the mesh.

Ref:
https://www.tp-link.com/sg/onemesh/compatibility/
razorlala likes this.

Last edited by xiaofan; 28-06-2020 at 09:26 PM..
xiaofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2020, 09:40 PM   #11
Arch-Supremacy Member

All dual band mesh are like tat when you don't connect each other with Ethernet cable.

Tri band mesh may give you full speed (node to device) but if you place the mesh in a poor coverage (between each node) the perform also suffer.

When possible we recommend

1. Use ethernet to hook up each node
2. Else ensure each node are place in line of sight (where possible for best performance).
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.