HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Upgrading your HDB Home Network to 10Gbe Project

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2020, 10:32 AM   #16
Supremacy Member

https://www.anandtech.com/show/15906...nse-powerhouse

This is nice --- super pfsense soft router good enough for 5Gbps internet.

US$1483 triple boot, Windows Server, Ubuntu Server and pfsense, 2x10Gbe and 4x1Gbe.
xiaofan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 09:38 PM   #17
Master Member

This is nice --- super pfsense soft router good enough for 5Gbps internet.

US$1483 triple boot, Windows Server, Ubuntu Server and pfsense, 2x10Gbe and 4x1Gbe.
I will build one on my own when >1Gbps internet becomes more affordable.
Old 01-08-2020, 09:45 PM   #18
High Supremacy Member

I'm running pfSense (virtualized) on i7-4790S with 6 x Intel GBe NICs.

WAN1: M1 1Gbps static IP.
WAN2: Whizcomms 1Gbps.

But severely underutilized the bandwidth so going to decommission 1 WAN soon.
should keep both WAN link and do a Load Balance instead. 1 ISP down still got secondary link. Dual ISP full diversity. Just need to make sure "Source and Destination IP Address Binding" so your internet banking or transaction don't get confused.

Last edited by Repsol_2; 01-08-2020 at 09:55 PM..
Repsol_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 10:36 PM   #19
Master Member

wa Lao eh all the “rich” people 😭😂 now making me gian full setup with NAS and etc

Posted from PCWX using iPhone12,5
BradenHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 01:39 PM   #20

I'm also in the midst of upgrading the home network but mine is significantly simple as I only have one NAS and my objective is more towards faster Internet versus faster internal network

So what I got so far is

Pfsense running on a used server from office with 4x sfp+ ports
H3C sfp+ switch
Asus ac5300 ap
10gb Internet from superinternet set as tier 1 gateway
1gb starhub fibre set as tier 2 gateway

Getting an Asus ax89x to connect directly to the pfsense so that hopefully my ax devices can surf past 1gb speed. 😂

Its super overkill setup for home but these hobby setups is really just for prove of concept to bring peace to our own mind and soul 🤣
zoneguard likes this.
leechoonhwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 06:35 PM   #21
Master Member

I'm also in the midst of upgrading the home network but mine is significantly simple as I only have one NAS and my objective is more towards faster Internet versus faster internal network

So what I got so far is

Pfsense running on a used server from office with 4x sfp+ ports
H3C sfp+ switch
Asus ac5300 ap
10gb Internet from superinternet set as tier 1 gateway
1gb starhub fibre set as tier 2 gateway

Getting an Asus ax89x to connect directly to the pfsense so that hopefully my ax devices can surf past 1gb speed. 😂

Its super overkill setup for home but these hobby setups is really just for prove of concept to bring peace to our own mind and soul 🤣
Now your mind and soul is at peace!
TanKianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 01:19 PM   #22
Master Member

What should have arrive has arrived. Will make time to put all together over the long weekend.

1U pfsense chassis with Dynatron 1U 95W cooler:

Mikrotik CRS305 for home lab:

6x 40mm Noctua cooling fans to replace the 1U chassis and Mikrotik CRS312 internal fans:

Connecting DAC cables for SFP+ and spill over Intel SFP+ NICs:

Final setup overview:

zoneguard and BradenHeat like this.

Last edited by TanKianW; 06-08-2020 at 01:22 PM..
Old 10-08-2020, 09:22 AM   #23
Master Member

Replaced all the default 40mm fans on the CRS312.

Just managed to configure the SwOS on CRS305 in my homelab. Connecting to my netgear GS110EMX switch using a SFP+ to RJ45 module, and connecting the switch to my PC using a DAC. Will connect the 10G switch to my FreeNAS when my Chelsio 10G NIC arrived.

zoneguard, BradenHeat and Mach3.2 like this.

Last edited by TanKianW; 10-08-2020 at 09:29 AM..
Old 16-08-2020, 02:04 PM   #24
Master Member

Completed the whole 10G deployment at home including the converting of my pfsense box to a 1U chassis with 2x 40mm noctua fans.

Overall, it is a success, but with some ups and downs. The 10G in my lab and FreeNAS in rooms worked as planned. Quite like the cleaner server rack set up. If I do upgrade to 10G internet, will change the NIC in my pfsense box.

Some unfortunate event unfold during deployment.
1) While changing the chassis, the Kingston SSD boot drive died on me. Changed it to an Intel 240GB SSD.
2) Tested all the Cat6 points around the house and found that 2 out of 6 Ethernet point could not run at 10G. Which may be due to wear and tear of connection point or cable degradation. Will get a contractor in to restore these data connection point. Now.....I just want rest!!

Before:

After:

loganrunning likes this.

Last edited by TanKianW; 19-08-2020 at 11:07 AM.. Reason: change photos
Old 19-08-2020, 10:46 AM   #25
Master Member

Engaged a professional to rectify the termination of all the data point at home. Set-up and re-check all the VLANs around the home switches. All is working well.

Interested forumers could PM me on the details of the setup, especially on the configuration for the different switches and the pfsense firewall.

Answers to some PM questions:
1) Some who asked what 10G NIC I recommend. I will go with either genuine Intel or Chelsio SFP+ NIC, connect via Direct Attached Copper (DAC) which gives the best performance and low latency over short distance. Another reason is because they are well supported by FreeBSD used by pfsense and FreeNAS.

2) Though not the subject of this project. Yes, for APs I do prefer Ruckus over Unifi. With Unleashed, even without the Zone Director, you can control using the web GUI on each AP, and you do not need to buy their switches to control the APs.

3) Yes, I build my smart home backed by my network infrastructure. In fact, if you are planning to set up a smart home, give some thoughts and planning to the network infrastructure. The smart home can only be as responsive and secure as the network infrastructure you having. Seen many people complaining that their smart home are not good enough or responsive enough when their home network infrastructure is not even up to par.

4) At the moment, 2x IPS's 1G internet is sufficient for my use. But who knows, I might consider to do a short project on building your very own 10G load-balance pfsense router and share with the HWZ forum in the future.

Hope that by sharing my experience in this post, will be of great help to those interested in 10Gbe home network set up. Thanks.
loganrunning likes this.

Last edited by TanKianW; 19-08-2020 at 10:59 AM..
Old 19-08-2020, 12:50 PM   #26
Supremacy Member

Very nice sharing.

10Gbps load balancing capable pfsense, that is nice. Not so sure what kind of CPU performance is needed.

The one mentioned before is actually only good for 5-7Gbps with packet filtering. In plain router mode it indeed is capable of 10Gbps.

Last edited by xiaofan; 19-08-2020 at 01:21 PM..
xiaofan is online now   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.