HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Used Singtel ONT

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-05-2020, 10:30 AM   #1

Used Singtel ONT

I been using Singtel's ONT for the start and don't want a ONR because want to use own router. If I buy a second hand ONT as spare from the open market, will it be just "plug and play" in case my old one kaput?
Yangsheng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2020, 05:51 PM   #2
Master Member

I been using Singtel's ONT for the start and don't want a ONR because want to use own router. If I buy a second hand ONT as spare from the open market, will it be just "plug and play" in case my old one kaput?
I believe not.

But you can get your ONT replaced with a new ONT for free in case it has some issues if you have contract with SingTel.

I replaced my one (old Ericsson from Feb 2012 with the 100Mbps plan then) with a new ZTE ONT back in Sept 2018, as the power jack got contact problem.

Last edited by xiaofan; 21-05-2020 at 05:56 PM..
xiaofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2020, 05:55 PM   #3
Master Member

On the other hand, the expert is telling me that we may not be able to hold on ONT for too long.

https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/i...605530-72.html

you can't hold on for too long.. eventually all ONT will become ONR in time to come..
Old 22-05-2020, 01:11 PM   #4

Thanks for all the replies. Looks like have to keep going with my old ONT.
Yangsheng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2020, 09:17 PM   #5

I was concerned is just a matter of time if Singtel wants us all change to ONR, may I know other ends user those ISP service provider still using ONT.
For me I just thinking should I jump ship other ISP do have ONT.
mikengtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2020, 09:27 PM   #6
Master Member

I was concerned is just a matter of time if Singtel wants us all change to ONR, may I know other ends user those ISP service provider still using ONT.

For me I just thinking should I jump ship other ISP do have ONT.
For 1Gbps plan, all other ISPs are using ONT except SingTel and Whizcomms.

For Whizcomms, it is using SingTel network, but you can request them to configure the ONR in ONT mode prior to installation, free of charge.

No action needed now if you are on ONT. Just wait for the announcement. But if you are concerned, do not renew contract so that you can jump any time.

It is said M1 is good but I see they had a major disruption recently. Whizcomms is another option.

Last edited by xiaofan; 22-05-2020 at 09:30 PM..
Old 22-05-2020, 10:27 PM   #7

For 1Gbps plan, all other ISPs are using ONT except SingTel and Whizcomms.

For Whizcomms, it is using SingTel network, but you can request them to configure the ONR in ONT mode prior to installation, free of charge.

No action needed now if you are on ONT. Just wait for the announcement. But if you are concerned, do not renew contract so that you can jump any time.

It is said M1 is good but I see they had a major disruption recently. Whizcomms is another option.
Thanks for the reply, ya my contact is going to end next month June. I been long time user for Singtel since from day 1,but lately I did notice Singtel begin to use ONR.

I don't want go into waste of my hardware router Asus into AP mode. I rather go full ONT or jump ship see how Singtel going to do next.
Old 22-05-2020, 11:18 PM   #8
Arch-Supremacy Member

Thanks for the reply, ya my contact is going to end next month June. I been long time user for Singtel since from day 1,but lately I did notice Singtel begin to use ONR.

I don't want go into waste of my hardware router Asus into AP mode. I rather go full ONT or jump ship see how Singtel going to do next.
Heard that if you tell them you want to use your own router, they can actually put the ONR into bridge mode. Then you can use your own router. No problem at all.
Henry Ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2020, 08:24 AM   #9
Master Member

Heard that if you tell them you want to use your own router, they can actually put the ONR into bridge mode. Then you can use your own router. No problem at all.
Fat hope in general. Only a few people have got success there.

SingTel does provide an option though -- the 1Gbps + 1Gbps Gaming plan, where the ONR will be configured as 3 ports ONR, plus one port ONT, but you need to pay more.

And we are talking about a potential future change from SingTel side. renfred89 knows what he is talking about when it comes to SingTel so I will trust him.
Old 23-05-2020, 01:41 PM   #10

Fat hope in general. Only a few people have got success there.

SingTel does provide an option though -- the 1Gbps + 1Gbps Gaming plan, where the ONR will be configured as 3 ports ONR, plus one port ONT, but you need to pay more.

And we are talking about a potential future change from SingTel side. renfred89 knows what he is talking about when it comes to SingTel so I will trust him.
Wow like this the plan would be so costly total 2Gbps, further more I am not a hardcore
gamers. I am more on using home base work and entertainment mostly YouTube, my
whole family all use WiFi that why I brought Asus router AC 5300 model..

Now thinking weather to move to other ISP services provider ..
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.