HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

ViewQwest Fiber Broadband Official Thread - Part 5

Like Tree1685Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2020, 08:58 PM   #9031
Great Supremacy Member

Maybe should invest in a separate wireless router...

Edit: maybe should try using Lan cable first and see if the problem persist.
It's ok now. Should be backend issue. See later tonight how.
DigDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 09:27 PM   #9032
High Supremacy Member

Ya, using as wireless router 2.4ghz.
2.4ghz is extremely congested in SG. During peak period when many of your neighbors are also streaming or downloading, your wireless connection will be interrupted. You can download wifi analyser and look at the sheer number of SSIDs on 2.4.

Go set up 5ghz properly and you see a drastic improvement.
TopGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 09:46 PM   #9033
Master Member

A quick question. Those on 2Gbps plan. You are given a router with all 4 ports enabled max at 1Gbps. If I want to combine 2 of 4 ports to be 2Gbps, is it possible to use those port link aggregation switches or routers to make it work? i.e dual wan? Or there is no way to combine both together?
Old 02-08-2020, 01:22 AM   #9034
Master Member

Connection speed getting more lousy. At night can't even stream 1080p YouTube videos without buffering.
Premium pricing ISP more than twice the price of M1 500mbps with crappy speed and customer service
jackycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 02:20 AM   #9035

A quick question. Those on 2Gbps plan. You are given a router with all 4 ports enabled max at 1Gbps. If I want to combine 2 of 4 ports to be 2Gbps, is it possible to use those port link aggregation switches or routers to make it work? i.e dual wan? Or there is no way to combine both together?
by "router" you mean the ONR? If so, the question is, does it support LACP?
loganrunning is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 06:38 AM   #9036
Great Supremacy Member

2.4ghz is extremely congested in SG. During peak period when many of your neighbors are also streaming or downloading, your wireless connection will be interrupted. You can download wifi analyser and look at the sheer number of SSIDs on 2.4.

Go set up 5ghz properly and you see a drastic improvement.
I think my zhone router is the very old kind don't support 5ghz one.
DigDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 09:19 AM   #9037

1. ask vq config your zhone as bridge and get a good router to handle the router and wireless function

2. stay with current setup, get a router configure into bridge/ap mode. Than all device connect to this new AP for wireless.

3. Change ISP when you 24 month end with VQ.
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 09:30 AM   #9038
High Supremacy Member

I am quite certain your poor speed is due to the crappy wireless connection. Get a separate router and things will be better.
TopGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 01:22 PM   #9039
Master Member

by "router" you mean the ONR? If so, the question is, does it support LACP?
Not too sure if it can. Mine is not a Zhone. Its a device called WIFI GPON ONT. But funny thing is it works with my Orbi RBK50 being in router mode though I can plug into the ONT and still get internet connection. So I am just thinking whether it is possible to combine both 1Gps (though I got 4 of them) into one.
Old 02-08-2020, 01:33 PM   #9040

1. ask vq config your zhone as bridge and get a good router to handle the router and wireless function

2. stay with current setup, get a router configure into bridge/ap mode. Than all device connect to this new AP for wireless.

3. Change ISP when you 24 month end with VQ.
Well again, if we don't isolate the problem, you ask him change ISP and the problem will still persist (given that ISP also don't give him a proper router).

So far we can determine highly likely hardware restrain is causing the problem.
Old 02-08-2020, 02:42 PM   #9041

Well again, if we don't isolate the problem, you ask him change ISP and the problem will still persist (given that ISP also don't give him a proper router).

So far we can determine highly likely hardware restrain is causing the problem.
Yah option 1 and 2 is used to determine the router issue. If VQ configure the Zhone to bridge or he got a better router wifi and still having issue on both LAN and wifi than it left with

ISP issue or equipment issue (laptop,phone).
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 10:31 AM   #9042
Master Member

Hmm very dangerous proposition if again, I’m being paranoid: zhone being configured as bridged device, letting the router do the heavy lifting

From my limited know how and assistance, most family don’t even know how to enable the basic firewall

This is from a sample of helping my cousin, reset his Asus ax and it wasn’t on for for firewall when I checked the settings

Are the default issued routers from VQ configured to have those security settings on by default ?

Posted from PCWX using iPhone12,5
BradenHeat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 10:37 AM   #9043
Arch-Supremacy Member

For me, I use zhone as router and use an asus router configured as wireless AP. Streaming video improves a lot. Zhone's wifi is disabled through zhone's configuration page.
Con is all traffic goes through that one ethernet port on zhone.
Old 03-08-2020, 02:13 PM   #9044
Supremacy Member

Hmm very dangerous proposition if again, I’m being paranoid: zhone being configured as bridged device, letting the router do the heavy lifting

From my limited know how and assistance, most family don’t even know how to enable the basic firewall

This is from a sample of helping my cousin, reset his Asus ax and it wasn’t on for for firewall when I checked the settings

Are the default issued routers from VQ configured to have those security settings on by default ?

Posted from PCWX using iPhone12,5
As far as I can tell, these are the facts:
1. admin and user password remains default
2. Firewall is enabled but DOS elements are all unchecked. This is as good as not having firewall enabled
3. eth0 WAN facing services are mostly enabled
BradenHeat likes this.
AnTiLooP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 01:08 PM   #9045
Master Member

As far as I can tell, these are the facts:
1. admin and user password remains default
2. Firewall is enabled but DOS elements are all unchecked. This is as good as not having firewall enabled
3. eth0 WAN facing services are mostly enabled
ah man
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.