HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Which VPN is the best and cheapest for singapore users ???

Like Tree49Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2014, 08:35 AM   #46

do you use the exceptions setting for local website?
Nope but I have exceptions setting for which devices can be connected to the VPN.

Maybe I should do it for local website too.
oric1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 10:11 AM   #47

Nope but I have exceptions setting for which devices can be connected to the VPN.

Maybe I should do it for local website too.
can you try and test out the local website like xinmsn.com/catchup or toggle.sg/catchup

i heard these website restrict from overseas access so when u connect on vpn u are consider overseas.

thank in advance
steven168z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 11:36 AM   #48
Supremacy Member

The Best VPNs To Use In China (Updated February 2014) - GreyCoder
https://www.bestvpn.com/blog/8751/5-...a-2014-update/
Old 04-04-2014, 01:29 PM   #49

This link is for the best VPNs to use if you're inside China for accessing contents outside the China's Great Firewall.

What Michelleang wants to know is if she's outside China (e.g. in Singapore), which VPN provide the best speed for accessing contents inside China
Old 04-04-2014, 10:33 PM   #50

can you try and test out the local website like xinmsn.com/catchup or toggle.sg/catchup

i heard these website restrict from overseas access so when u connect on vpn u are consider overseas.

thank in advance
Yeap, toggle.sg can't stream if I'm connected to LA server. Find it very troublesome to include toogle.sg in the exception list as it needs the IP address of all the websites I wanted to filter instead of providing wildcard like *.sg
Old 07-04-2014, 10:39 PM   #51
Supremacy Member

Anyone using" private internet access" for their vpn? Seems cheaper than strong vpn
Old 08-04-2014, 08:32 AM   #52

Anyone using" private internet access" for their vpn? Seems cheaper than strong vpn
I subscribe to 3 VPN services :
- Astrill VPN
- PrivateInternetAccess
- TigerVPN

Astrill is noticeably better than PIA and Tiger. It's able to stream 2 Netflix HD movies simultaneously whereas the other 2 can only stream 1 without buffering.

Astrill is also the only one able to stream video clips from a certain US site at Full HD without lag. The other 2 will lag like crazy even at 720p.

Personally, I'd recommend Astrill if streaming movies is what you're looking for and PIA for P2P due to its top-notch internet privacy rating as well as super low price PLUS ability to support 5 simultaneous connections (1 account can actually be shared with 4 other relatives and/or friends ).

BTW, above results solely via my SingTel fibre connection.
oric1, davpiyo, outer92 and 2 others like this.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:44 AM   #53
Supremacy Member

is the set up for PIA easy? sorry im a computer idiot

- Astrill VPN
- PrivateInternetAccess
- TigerVPN

Astrill is noticeably better than PIA and Tiger. It's able to stream 2 Netflix HD movies simultaneously whereas the other 2 can only stream 1 without buffering.

Astrill is also the only one able to stream video clips from a certain US site at Full HD without lag. The other 2 will lag like crazy even at 720p.

Personally, I'd recommend Astrill if streaming movies is what you're looking for and PIA for P2P due to its top-notch internet privacy rating as well as super low price PLUS ability to support 5 simultaneous connections (1 account can actually be shared with 4 other relatives and/or friends ).

Old 08-04-2014, 12:35 PM   #54

is the set up for PIA easy? sorry im a computer idiot
Very easy.

Just download the client application and install it.

After that, launch it and choose the VPN server (US, UK, etc.) to connect to and that's it.

If you need Port Forwarding (for P2P), just click on the Port Forward option and it'll assign a port to you and you just type that number into your P2P client software.
Old 08-04-2014, 01:06 PM   #55
Supremacy Member

- Astrill VPN
- PrivateInternetAccess
- TigerVPN

My PIA experience is far better though. I can hook up 2 TVs to Netflix 1080p no problem.

My personal take on PIA and Astrill is chose Astrill if you need China connectivity. PIA still lags far behind on this even though they just got their HK gateway. PIA has better access in US and EU and they have dedicated P2P servers if you do heavy downloading.
negativzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 01:20 PM   #56

My PIA experience is far better though. I can hook up 2 TVs to Netflix 1080p no problem.

My personal take on PIA and Astrill is chose Astrill if you need China connectivity. PIA still lags far behind on this even though they just got their HK gateway. PIA has better access in US and EU and they have dedicated P2P servers if you do heavy downloading.
Yes, sometimes it works with 2 HD movies but most of the time (esp during peak hours), even 1 HD movie may have some lag here and there.

For Astrill it's always smooth whether peak or non-peak.

PIA is good but wait till you try Astrill

Also, IMO, the ultimate test is with that 'certain US site'.

Try that with PIA and it's lag-fest even at 720P. Astrill streams at 1080P w/o a hitch.

As for China, no idea as I don't watch Chinese movies and Ang Mo / Korean movies with Mandarin characters at the bottom irks me.

BTW, PIA can't do P2P on their US server as they don't support port forwarding. I normally do it on their Canadian, Holland or Romanian server only so that could be another negative point about PIA. Astrill does support port forwarding on certain US servers but I've yet to try.
Old 08-04-2014, 03:13 PM   #57

Been using PIA and it's a mix bag. I'm on Starhub cable.

Using utorrent and SOCKS5 Proxy produces very slow speeds.
Constantly can't connect to trackers.

I was thinking that running utorrent under proxy will free me from having to VPN all my computer traffic, and still provide some protection.

Maybe it's time to use a seedbox...

Any thoughts?

Last edited by gabong; 08-04-2014 at 03:42 PM..
gabong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 04:20 PM   #58
Supremacy Member

Yes, sometimes it works with 2 HD movies but most of the time (esp during peak hours), even 1 HD movie may have some lag here and there.

For Astrill it's always smooth whether peak or non-peak.

PIA is good but wait till you try Astrill

Also, IMO, the ultimate test is with that 'certain US site'.

Try that with PIA and it's lag-fest even at 720P. Astrill streams at 1080P w/o a hitch.

As for China, no idea as I don't watch Chinese movies and Ang Mo / Korean movies with Mandarin characters at the bottom irks me.

BTW, PIA can't do P2P on their US server as they don't support port forwarding. I normally do it on their Canadian, Holland or Romanian server only so that could be another negative point about PIA. Astrill does support port forwarding on certain US servers but I've yet to try.
Twitch??? I have no problem with Twitch streaming.
Anyway I've tried Astrill once before and yes its very good. But if you compare $9 a month and $3 a month for me its a no brainer and I have speeds which are unbeatable almost anywhere else.
negativzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 04:31 PM   #59

I was thinking that running utorrent under proxy will free me from having to VPN all my computer traffic, and still provide some protection.

Any thoughts?
No problem for me (getting >1MBps consistently for a bunch of junks I download off the net) but I don't use SOCK5 Proxy. Just regular VPN + Port Forwarding works well enough for me.

Twitch??? I have no problem with Twitch streaming.
Anyway I've tried Astrill once before and yes its very good. But if you compare $9 a month and $3 a month for me its a no brainer and I have speeds which are unbeatable almost anywhere else.
Nah. If it's Twitch I would have said Twitch already

It's one of those sites that cannot be named

Actually I subscribe (1 year) to Astrill just for fun since I read here about their awesomeness. After trying I've got to agree it beats PIA.

However, for movie streaming I still use ViewQwest's FreedomVPN as nothing beats it.

I'll probably continue to subscribe to Astrill and keep it as a back-up for movie streaming and will still continue to use PIA for P2P solely for it's reputation in protecting the user's internet privacy. Have also given a couple of relatives access to my PIA account as I don't need 5 simultaneous connections (3 is more than enough)
oric1 likes this.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:50 PM   #60

Any thoughts?
I can get anywhere from 20 to 80mbps using socks
cyberet is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.