WhizComms, new Fibre Broadband provider

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Resolved my download throttling by using a free VPN service. 10MBps download throttling is ridiculous and using download manager isn't solving the root cause of 10MB limit

Yes using VPN is a workaround for ISP throttling. The requirement then is to have a sufficiently fast VPN. Take note majority of the free VPNs are not that good, so be careful when using free VPNs.

Apex

Reaction score
Resolved my download throttling by using a free VPN service. 10MBps download throttling is ridiculous and using download manager isn't solving the root cause of 10MB limit
GdfAMaz.png

z7qsjd5.png

Not bad network speed for a FREE VPN service.

jackycar

Master Member
Reaction score
Yes using VPN is a workaround for ISP throttling. The requirement then is to have a sufficiently fast VPN. Take note majority of the free VPNs are not that good, so be careful when using free VPNs.

I tried nordvpn, Expressvpn today, both cannot overcome m1 bt throttling. No VPN faster in fact. Refunded both

jackycar

Master Member
Reaction score
Previously I can get 95MBps google drive download on myrepublic plan.
G0K57oNl.jpg

Now even with a 500MBps whizcomms plan, google drive is also throttled to 10MBps per file
eNcFCzA.png

liwK8P2.png

For future subscribers, don't be tricked into getting the faster plans

Interesting! That's pretty impressive performance on MR.how has their customer service been? Vq has been terrible

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I tried nordvpn, Expressvpn today, both cannot overcome m1 bt throttling. No VPN faster in fact. Refunded both

BT speed will depend on seeds as well. Please use the same Ubuntu 20.04 BT file to test, with and without VPN.

Nord VPN is not known to be fast in Singapore. Express VPN is fast. You can also try iVacy, cheap and fast in Singapore as it is a Singapore based company.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Interesting! That's pretty impressive performance on MR.how has their customer service been? Vq has been terrible

Take note MR is using carrier grade NAT. So you will need to subscribe to a static IP in order to have a public IP address (one time fee of S$50 applicable). Then you will have some benefits associated with static IP. But then you will also have risks associated with a static IP.

zumbra99

Reaction score
WC with Aztech DSL8900GR(AC)

I am thinking of getting the WC no frill plan. But I am a noob to all this, so please dont mind the questions. :s22:

By default the will put an ONR and if we want to use our own wifi router, then we should request for ONT. Even after such request, they might still install ONR and have to visit their office to change to ONT.

Either I could buy some router (EA8100, or Asus AC2600 etc) or buy from them AC1750 (TP link).
Buy from them - they should set up the Wifi.
Use my own - have to setup myself.

Last time for our office we had taken a Singtel enterprise plan, which came with "dual broadband". Had got an Aztech DSL8900GR(AC) with this along with ZTE GPON ONR. We never used that, so its lying idle.

Usually Singtel routers are by default in AP mode, so should work with the ONR also.
Not sure if its the same for this one supplied with the enterprise plan ?

Would it be a hassle to setup this router myself (if at all it can be used with WC) ?
I should be fine with WC ONR then ?

Seems like this model is quite old, but can it work to provide decent speed with the 500 mbps plan I plan to get ? Mainly for WFH, usual browsing and some streaming on Netflix and Prime - all via WiFi. no LAN, no gaming needs.
I read something about only supporting n band wifi and not ac, but not sure if it was for this model or another.

Or better to get some other newer model or direct from WC?

Thanks

Last edited:

yusoffb01

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am thinking of getting the WC no frill plan. But I am a noob to all this, so please dont mind the questions. :s22:

By default the will put an ONR and if we want to use our own wifi router, then we should request for ONT. Even after such request, they might still install ONR and have to visit their office to change to ONT.

Either I could buy some router (EA8100, or Asus AC2600 etc) or buy from them AC1750 (TP link).

Last time for our office we had taken a Singtel enterprise plan, which came with "dual broadband". Had got an Aztech DSL8900GR(AC) with this along with ZTE GPON ONR. We never used that, so its lying idle.

Usually Singtel routers are by default in AP mode, so should work with the ONR also.

Would it be a hassle to setup this router myself (if at all it can be used with WC) ?

Seems like this model is quite old, but can it work to provide decent speed with the 500 mbps plan I plan to get ? Mainly for WFH, usual browsing and some streaming on Netflix and Prime - all via WiFi. no LAN, no gaming needs.

Or better to get some other newer brand ?

Thanks

Yes request for ont if you use own router, but they might deliver onr. not sure if the person that install get set to ont on the spot. You cannot set as ont even if you know the telcoadmin password, must bring down to their office.

any non-singtel router will do. ideally get a dual core router because single core will slow down wireless speed when too many devices connected.

most value for money i think is the dlink868L. it used to be a high end router in 2013 (dual core with 256mb ram), can find about $10 in carousell. Can be flashed with asus ac68u firmware to support aimesh, control via app, adblocking and openvpn server.
https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/...4/secure-your-router-dir-868l-5499216-44.html

Don't pay too much for ax router because most of them currently don't support the full standard even if they advertise as such. Also wifi 6e coming soon that will use the 6Ghz band

Last edited:

giraffey

Reaction score

I read something about only supporting n band wifi and not ac, but not sure if it was for this model or another.

Or better to get some other newer model or direct from WC?

Thanks

- By default, you would get an ONR.
- If ONR, what it means is that you do not need a router. The ONR functions as both the modem (ONT) and Router.
- It does not mean you cannot use your own wireless router. You can still use a wireless router/mesh system (set it in Access Point Mode), or wireless access point.
- I don't think you can configure the "DSL8900GR" as an access point. Anyway, it is an old device, and you should really consider getting something newer. Those basic wireless routers which are given by telcos being sold on carousell would perform better than this. If you are highly dependent on wifi, consider investing in AX (WiFi 6).
- Not all singtel issued devices can be reused on other telcos.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
DSL8900GR(AC) is an old device but should still be usable as an AP, after all it is rated at 3*3 5GHz 802.11AC up to 1300Mbps (and 2*2 for 802.11n 2.4GHz up to 300Mbps). And it is a gigabit router with one gigabit WAN port and 4 gigabit LAN ports.

I am not sure if it has the option to set it as an AP from the FW. If not, there is a workaround, just connect onr of its LAN ports (not WAN port) to the ONR LAN port, and then disable DHCP, it should work as an AP.

Last edited:

zumbra99

Reaction score
Thanks people for your helpful comments.
will first try to get another router and then get their plan.

lifeislame

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
- By default, you would get an ONR.
- If ONR, what it means is that you do not need a router. The ONR functions as both the modem (ONT) and Router.
- It does not mean you cannot use your own wireless router. You can still use a wireless router/mesh system (set it in Access Point Mode), or wireless access point.
- I don't think you can configure the "DSL8900GR" as an access point. Anyway, it is an old device, and you should really consider getting something newer. Those basic wireless routers which are given by telcos being sold on carousell would perform better than this. If you are highly dependent on wifi, consider investing in AX (WiFi 6).
- Not all singtel issued devices can be reused on other telcos.
actually can the trick is disable dhcp and plug in the uplink to one of the 4 or 5 lan port instead plug in to the wan port.this way you can make ur router as a switch and ap

Sent from Samsung SM-A705MN using GAGT

Alphas

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just got Whizzcom installation, the guy came and configured the ONR to ONT on the spot, there is no need to go to their office.

WhiteAnt

Banned
Reaction score
Just got Whizzcom installation, the guy came and configured the ONR to ONT on the spot, there is no need to go to their office.

I'm going to sign up in Nov, may I know issit better to go for ONT or ONR? Need to tell the technician which want I want?
(I will be getting asus ac1200+ router fr carousel)

Any experts can also help to shed some lights on the above? Is ONT or ONR better? I only know ONR is modem+router, sorry I'm a noob :( :o

yusoffb01

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I'm going to sign up in Nov, may I know issit better to go for ONT or ONR? Need to tell the technician which want I want?
(I will be getting asus ac1200+ router fr carousel)

Any experts can also help to shed some lights on the above? Is ONT or ONR better? I only know ONR is modem+router, sorry I'm a noob :( :o

buy huawei ax3 less than 70 for quad core, 40 for dual core.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.