WhizComms, new Fibre Broadband provider

giraffey

Reaction score
I'm going to sign up in Nov, may I know issit better to go for ONT or ONR? Need to tell the technician which want I want?
(I will be getting asus ac1200+ router fr carousel)

Any experts can also help to shed some lights on the above? Is ONT or ONR better? I only know ONR is modem+router, sorry I'm a noob :( :o

It doesnt make a difference for most users whether its ONT or ONR mode. I am more incline to say ONR is better for users who want a more simplistic setup. It reduces the need to do configuration of the router. More plug and play. In this mode, any wireless router added can just be an AP mode which reduces the configuration required. The other advantage is that you can use all the ports of the modem (ONR) while in ONT, inly 1 port can be used.

In ONT mode, you might need to know how to configure the router. I.e. your wireless router becomes a router.

Note: expert users will prefer it to be ONT as it allows more flexibility in deploying own sets of routers, gateways, etc. There is more control. But of course, this increases complexities.

yusoffb01

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Wow! So cheap?

why are you not buying?
YHgAi8T.jpg

this is better value than the $120 xiaomi ax3600

Extremme

Master Member
Reaction score
It doesnt make a difference for most users whether its ONT or ONR mode. I am more incline to say ONR is better for users who want a more simplistic setup. It reduces the need to do configuration of the router. More plug and play. In this mode, any wireless router added can just be an AP mode which reduces the configuration required. The other advantage is that you can use all the ports of the modem (ONR) while in ONT, inly 1 port can be used.

In ONT mode, you might need to know how to configure the router. I.e. your wireless router becomes a router.

Note: expert users will prefer it to be ONT as it allows more flexibility in deploying own sets of routers, gateways, etc. There is more control. But of course, this increases complexities.
I thought ONT also plug and play only ? ONT at DB box. My rj45 lan point at living room connected to an Router to fan out the wireless signal to all? Does that need added configuration ?

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the sic. :)

Better buy AX3 Pro than the dual core AX3. AX3 lacks the amplifier for the 5GHz so the coverage is not as good.

I have the AX3 Pro as an AP and it is pretty good, one of the best value WiFi 6 AX3000 router. Redmi AX6 is another good option.

WhiteAnt

Banned
Reaction score
buy huawei ax3 less than 70 for quad core, 40 for dual core.

I alr bought fr carousel lol. Can't wait to switch over to whizcomm and save half the bill fr the current mio home fiber 😂

Nx time got more money then I upgrade to a better router :o

Then I don't haolian tell the technician what I want since I'm a normal user :crazy: I only want good speed will do or else later got prob idk how to troubleshoot/configure like a pro :o

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Then I don't haolian tell the technician what I want since I'm a normal user :crazy: I only want good speed will do or else later got prob idk how to troubleshoot/configure like a pro :o

Indeed you are better off with ONR in this case.

You will need to configure your RT-AC1200G+ as an AP to use with the ONR.

And keep your existing SingTel router as a backup as they can be used with the Whizcomms ONR as an AP as well.

WhiteAnt

Banned
Reaction score
Indeed you are better off with ONR in this case.

You will need to configure your RT-AC1200G+ as an AP to use with the ONR.

And keep your existing SingTel router as a backup as they can be used with the Whizcomms ONR as an AP as well.

If is to configure the asus router to AP then I got experience as have done it for my sis st onr :o

Thanks I will keep the router as backup in case asus one is faulty

WhiteAnt

Banned
Reaction score
Not sure if this is a stupid qn but how much speed should one be expecting for a 500mbps plan via wired and wireless mode?

Then if never received at least 400mbps speed, can don't sign on the form upon installation completed by the technician? Or what should be the correct procedure? :crazy: :o

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this is a stupid qn but how much speed should one be expecting for a 500mbps plan via wired and wireless mode?

Then if never received at least 400mbps speed, can don't sign on the form upon installation completed by the technician? Or what should be the correct procedure? :crazy: :o

They will only test wired speed. The wireless router is yours and speed depends on the router and test device.

The technician should test the wired speed before finishing the installation.

You should expect above 400Mbps speed. And for wireless, you can expect 100Mbps to the wired speed, at close range, depending on your router and test device. A decent device should get above 200Mbps. Since your RT-AC1200G+ is a low end router, so I think you will get between 100Mbps to 300Mbps only at close range. No problems for most of the use cases. The review also says the coverage is not bad.

Review of RT-AC1200G+, which shows around 100-300Mbps iperf3 speed on 5GHz.
https://www.blacktubi.com/review/asus-rt-ac1200g-review/

*** Whizcomms typical speed range
https://www.whizcomms.com.sg/tcs-br...ance,download speed between 400Mbps – 480Mbps.

Speed and Performance
5.1 WhizComms 1Gbps Broadband Plans will have a typical wired download speed between 715.37Mbps – 954.27Mbps. 300Mbps Broadband Plans will have a typical wired download speed between 200Mbps – 280Mbps. 500Mbps speed boost plans will have a typical wired download speed between 400Mbps – 480Mbps.

Last edited:

Alphas

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I'm going to sign up in Nov, may I know issit better to go for ONT or ONR? Need to tell the technician which want I want?
(I will be getting asus ac1200+ router fr carousel)

Any experts can also help to shed some lights on the above? Is ONT or ONR better? I only know ONR is modem+router, sorry I'm a noob :( :o
I will definitely recommend using your own router and the fiber set up as ONT. Those ONR typically have limited functions and cannot be configured compared to a wireless router.

I alr bought fr carousel lol. Can't wait to switch over to whizcomm and save half the bill fr the current mio home fiber 😂

Nx time got more money then I upgrade to a better router :o

If the fiber is set up as ONT, there is literally nothing to configure. So its only to configure your own router.

WhiteAnt

Banned
Reaction score
They will only test wired speed. The wireless router is yours and speed depends on the router and test device.

The technician should test the wired speed before finishing the installation.

You should expect above 400Mbps speed. And for wireless, you can expect 100Mbps to the wired speed, at close range, depending on your router and test device. A decent device should get above 200Mbps. Since your RT-AC1200G+ is a low end router, so I think you will get between 100Mbps to 300Mbps only at close range. No problems for most of the use cases. The review also says the coverage is not bad.

Review of RT-AC1200G+, which shows around 100-300Mbps iperf3 speed on 5GHz.
https://www.blacktubi.com/review/asus-rt-ac1200g-review/

*** Whizcomms typical speed range
https://www.whizcomms.com.sg/tcs-br...ance,download speed between 400Mbps – 480Mbps.

Speed and Performance
5.1 WhizComms 1Gbps Broadband Plans will have a typical wired download speed between 715.37Mbps – 954.27Mbps. 300Mbps Broadband Plans will have a typical wired download speed between 200Mbps – 280Mbps. 500Mbps speed boost plans will have a typical wired download speed between 400Mbps – 480Mbps.

Wireless for 100-300mbps I v happy alr bc currently I can't even hit 100mbps :s22:

Thanks for your reply, can't wait for Nov to change :o

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Wireless for 100-300mbps I v happy alr bc currently I can't even hit 100mbps :s22:

Thanks for your reply, can't wait for Nov to change :o

That is at close range. At further distance, it can be much lower or even no signal, depending on the floor plan and the placement of the router.

WhiteAnt

Banned
Reaction score
That is at close range. At further distance, it can be much lower or even no signal, depending on the floor plan and the placement of the router.

Yes so long can hit 200-300mbps bc I can get close to 400mbps at my sis place. But at my parents place <100mbps which I felt kena shortchanged though paying same bills as others :s22:

Extremme

Master Member
Reaction score
I will definitely recommend using your own router and the fiber set up as ONT. Those ONR typically have limited functions and cannot be configured compared to a wireless router.

If the fiber is set up as ONT, there is literally nothing to configure. So its only to configure your own router.

As I am already in the midst of wiring my house. Every bedrooms will have RJ45 with data points. So I dont think I need wifi-mesh. Just to confirm my understanding. I am applying for Whizcomm. I will get their ONT installed on the yellow within my shoebox. I have data point at the Red area where I am putting Asus AX88 connecting to the data point. No further configuration needed right? just plug and play. (of course the normal setting of administration stuff like password is still needed).

DpM5r9m

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
As I am already in the midst of wiring my house. Every bedrooms will have RJ45 with data points. So I dont think I need wifi-mesh. Just to confirm my understanding. I am applying for Whizcomm. I will get their ONT installed on the yellow within my shoebox. I have data point at the Red area where I am putting Asus AX88 connecting to the data point. No further configuration needed right? just plug and play. (of course the normal setting of administration stuff like password is still needed).

Network.jpg

Yes that is correct. No need special configuration for the AX88U.

Only thing is that your placement of the AX88U may not be optimal, your master room may not get good wifi.

If possible, have more LAN ports in the living room, say two in the area of your AX88U.

ONT in DB box -- Patch panel -- LAN port 1 in living room --AX88U as main router -- LAN port 2 in living room -- patch panel -- switch in DB box -- LAN ports in each room

Then you have the flexibility to add AP in any room. For example, an RT-AX58U in the master room to boost the wifi signal in the master room. It can form AI Mesh with the main AX88U.

Last edited:

Extremme

Master Member
Reaction score

Only thing is that your placement of the AX88U may not be optimal, your master room may not get good wifi.

If possible, have more LAN ports in the living room, say two in the area of your AX88U.

ONT in DB box -- Patch panel -- LAN port 1 in living room --AX88U as main router -- LAN port 2 in living room -- patch panel -- switch in DB box -- LAN ports in each room

Then you have the flexibility to add AP in any room. For example, an RT-AX58U in the master room to boost the wifi signal in the master room. It can form AI Mesh with the main AX88U.

Thks Xiaofan again! Yeah thats why I have data points in all rooms. If really too bad I can get a cheap Huawei Router to plug into the MBR data point to act as AP

Alphas

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Yes I agree, the wifi strength will be weak in the MBR, since there are more walls and further away.

Thks Xiaofan again! Yeah thats why I have data points in all rooms. If really too bad I can get a cheap Huawei Router to plug into the MBR data point to act as AP

You should use another asus router that can form mesh network with AX88, the wifi speed of mesh is alot faster than a stand alone AP.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.