Will the cooling fan place in top of the router ?

spoon

Reaction score
If a cooling fan place on top of the router will it cause any interference to the wifi signal due to its magnet and metal grill ?

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If a cooling fan place on top of the router will it cause any interference to the wifi signal due to its magnet and metal grill ?

It will not cause interference, but it will make you look a bit foolish.

Based on the law of convection, hot air rises coolike air sinks. If u place the fan on top, u are merely cooling the air at the top. If u put it below, the cool air at bottom cools the unit and then exit from the top..

Trans-Am

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

spoon

Reaction score
Noted , I'm buying a Usb fan to try it out , at this point only thinking of placing on top. Just that want to make sure it won't cause any interference.

Dust will be even more, unless you have filter installed at the intakes.

MikeDirnt78

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure why are some so paranoid about the hot temperature. As I posted many times in here, the chips in the router are tested at very high temperature like 85C.

Just place the router in an open space instead of an enclosure.

jury_pack

Master Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure why are some so paranoid about the hot temperature. As I posted many times in here, the chips in the router are tested at very high temperature like 85C.

But still routers get fried under their own heat.

deckcard

Master Member
Reaction score

Well it's true that some chips can withstand high heat but there are other components like the capacitors that may not.

Ah-Pin-Kor

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
What router model are you using?
For those models with cooling slots mainly at the bottom, what I do is stack it higher so the bottom is a few inches off the tabletop to allow more natural airflow. Using fan causes dust to accumulate inside and it's hard to get at.

MikeDirnt78

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Well it's true that some chips can withstand high heat but there are other components like the capacitors that may not.

Which brand are you referring to? A good engineer will account for operating temperature in the selection of their components.

And Asus gives you 3 years warranty. All those defects will be taken care of.

spoon

Reaction score
5C43C7F6-E22B-4FF5-ABF8-9AC7E717D241_zpsi8dz4xpx.png
[/URL][/img]

spoon

Reaction score
My previous ASus power on 24/7 for 3yrs no issue(touch wood) but still want to put fan to try it out. Sucking up from the top hopefully less dust

Last edited:

spoon

Reaction score
My current router already stacked up..

What router model are you using?
For those models with cooling slots mainly at the bottom, what I do is stack it higher so the bottom is a few inches off the tabletop to allow more natural airflow. Using fan causes dust to accumulate inside and it's hard to get at.

Last edited:

spoon

Reaction score
Will be 24/7 like my previous ac66u who generate less heat compare to ac5300.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.