HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Wireless@SGx tethering?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-01-2019, 11:00 AM   #16

Sorry.. but none of the solutions above work as the laptop is 100% secured - i.e.

no USB devices
no internet login through a PORTAL
no installation of apps

With that in mind, any other potential workaround?
samsung phones have a feature known as wi-fi sharing. maybe that will work for u. too bad if u using apple tho
poland_ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2019, 09:00 AM   #17
Master Member

If it is a locked down system then Bluetooth will also not work. TS should really read what renfred89 wrote which raised a very valid point. Be very careful of the obligations as the user of a lock down system. The organization must have the reason to lock down the system and the user has to follow the rules.

We have locked down systems in the company where you are only allowed to go to whitelisted web sites. But then the user will have another machine for general work including web browsing.
true this. we don't need another SingHealth case.
darren_soh86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2019, 10:38 AM   #18

Have you looked up the Computer Act of your institution? Does it mention any misuse policy and that you’re liable for it?

To me it sounds like all these precautions were deliberately enforced and here you are trying to circumvent them.

Just wondering if you have overlooked the responsibility of using this laptop and that you might not be aware of the consequences should an exploitation is discovered.

I am not trying to cirumvent anything - just trying to use my work laptop for work purposes when i'm outside (e.g. at a café with Wireless@SGx).

Since Wireless@SGx can be logged into without a portal, I thought it will be possible to also make use of it for my work laptop (purely for downloading of emails).
turboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2019, 12:20 PM   #19

I am not trying to cirumvent anything - just trying to use my work laptop for work purposes when i'm outside (e.g. at a café with Wireless@SGx).

Since Wireless@SGx can be logged into without a portal, I thought it will be possible to also make use of it for my work laptop (purely for downloading of emails).
If it is for work, then you should ask your IT department for help. Technically they should probably not allow you to use wireless@SG or other public wifi but they can probably install things like a 4G portable router or USB dongle or things like that.
xiaofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2019, 12:39 PM   #20
Arch-Supremacy Member

what so difficult?

enable wifi tethering on ur mobile phone can liao. secure and only you will be the one using it.

using public internet access is dangerous.
Mclairs83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2019, 12:47 PM   #21
Arch-Supremacy Member

Yeah. For layman wifi connection may mean nothing but on a technical level, public wifi itself is already a calculated risk.

Doesn’t matter what you use the internet for, all it is just one hacker in the coverage can steal as much info as he wants with an active wifi connection.
renfred89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2019, 01:48 PM   #22

Your company put so much effort into securing the laptop. Why do you want bybass their restrictions.
squarepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2019, 03:17 PM   #23
Supremacy Member

Your IT staff are the only people who can advise and able to enable you access to secured laptop and email.
eric3743 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2019, 05:51 PM   #24

Yeah. For layman wifi connection may mean nothing but on a technical level, public wifi itself is already a calculated risk.

Doesn’t matter what you use the internet for, all it is just one hacker in the coverage can steal as much info as he wants with an active wifi connection.
I wouldn't mention the security level of normal public WiFi like those provided in malls, but Wireless@SGx should be quite secure?
turboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2019, 06:05 PM   #25
Arch-Supremacy Member

I wouldn't mention the security level of normal public WiFi like those provided in malls, but Wireless@SGx should be quite secure?
Its more secured, but definitely doesn't meet the enterprise security grade in which your laptop should be allowing to connect.
Old 27-01-2019, 06:20 PM   #26
Master Member

my xiaomi phone very funny

connect to wireless@SG
laptop WLAN cannot tether via phone
bluetooth also cannot

USB can
WTF!!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2019, 08:46 AM   #27

maybe for those who thinks public free wifi come without risks should watch this video for an eye opener understanding...

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news...why-it-matters
kapitansg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 01:55 PM   #28

Another way: unless you have 2 wireless card, connect 1 connection from wireless SGX to wireless card 1 then bridge the connection over to wireless card 2 to broadcast out, that way you can connect multiple devices to it.
chowhong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 08:02 PM   #29
Supremacy Member

Image the HDD, mount and get local admin (easy if using Windows), profit!
prusswan.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 02:43 PM   #30

my xiaomi phone very funny

connect to wireless@SG
laptop WLAN cannot tether via phone
bluetooth also cannot

USB can
u can enable "wifi hotspot" from developer settings
miloaisdino is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.