HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Worth upgrading to 2gbps broadband?

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-05-2020, 10:29 PM   #1

Worth upgrading to 2gbps broadband?

Hi, want to get some advice on whether it's worth upgrading to the starhub 2gbps broadband from 1gbps. I have 4 active users in my house (work from home) and currently got some connection drop-offs 2-3 times in a day... Thanks
stanip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2020, 10:31 PM   #2

Hi, want to get some advice on whether it's worth upgrading to the starhub 2gbps broadband from 1gbps. I have 4 active users in my house (work from home) and currently got some connection drop-offs 2-3 times in a day... Thanks

1Gbps is usually more than enough for 4 people working from home. Unless everyone involve heavy download and upload.

E-mail, video call and online messaging is enough. And your connection drops dont reflect slow connection. Maybe your router issue.

1. All user connect on Wifi?
2. what your router?
sadboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2020, 10:39 PM   #3

1Gbps is usually more than enough for 4 people working from home. Unless everyone involve heavy download and upload.

E-mail, video call and online messaging is enough. And your connection drops dont reflect slow connection. Maybe your router issue.

1. All user connect on Wifi?
2. what your router?
Using Linksys EA8100 router... all 4 were using wifi until recently video calls had occasion drops. 1 user switched to wired but still 1-2 time disconnects a day.
Old 20-05-2020, 10:45 PM   #4
Arch-Supremacy Member

1) what your video call program? Zoom or Teams?
2) drop off is due sudden drop off from the call and you have to reconnect?
3) usually video calls they will optimize whatever bandwidth you have and adjust the video and call quality.

i'm on 500mbps M1, and i have average around 3-4 zoom/teams calls daily. wife is watching netflix, and 2 kids are watching 4k or 1080p videos concurrently

i don't have any drop off at all.

my PC direct connect via LAN cable, using DIR-868L with DDWRT fw and a ubiquiti AC access point for my mobile/wireless devices.
Mclairs83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2020, 11:01 PM   #5
Arch-Supremacy Member

Heard that most companies VPN is usually quite low bandwidth. My is only ~ 20mbps the most. 4 users about 100 mbps only.
Henry Ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2020, 11:01 PM   #6
Master Member

Using Linksys EA8100 router... all 4 were using wifi until recently video calls had occasion drops. 1 user switched to wired but still 1-2 time disconnects a day.
No point upgrade to 2Gbps, even 500Mbps plan should be fine for you. But you may consider buying a better router. Or switch to Mesh routers to have better wireless coverage.

Or search the EA8100 thread to see if you can change some settings to have better stability. For example, disable DFS.

Ref: https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/i...5863256-5.html
xiaofan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2020, 11:07 PM   #7

1) what your video call program? Zoom or Teams?
2) drop off is due sudden drop off from the call and you have to reconnect?
3) usually video calls they will optimize whatever bandwidth you have and adjust the video and call quality.

i'm on 500mbps M1, and i have average around 3-4 zoom/teams calls daily. wife is watching netflix, and 2 kids are watching 4k or 1080p videos concurrently

i don't have any drop off at all.

my PC direct connect via LAN cable, using DIR-868L with DDWRT fw and a ubiquiti AC access point for my mobile/wireless devices.
1) two use Team and one on Zoom. Quite heavy usage with each user 4-6 hours daily usage.
2) yes, drop-offs happen suddenly and error message says no connection and after 1-2 mins Team just reconnects... quite annoying.

Not sure what caused this problem. Bought a new router and getting ready to test out this weekend. Just saw SH has a 2gpb promo and wonder if it's worth it to improve on bandwidth and performance.
Old 20-05-2020, 11:08 PM   #8
Master Member

No need to upgrade to 2Gbps. Wired your pc/laptop to the router. For more reliable connections. As for wireless, recommend to get APs to connect to router. I will rather you go for 2 x ISPs for load balancing and failover.....just in case one of the ISP down time again.....in Singapore, most cannot live without internet and aircon. So best is to have a back up plan.
Old 20-05-2020, 11:12 PM   #9
Master Member

1) two use Team and one on Zoom. Quite heavy usage with each user 4-6 hours daily usage.
2) yes, drop-offs happen suddenly and error message says no connection and after 1-2 mins Team just reconnects... quite annoying.

Not sure what caused this problem. Bought a new router and getting ready to test out this weekend. Just saw SH has a 2gpb promo and wonder if it's worth it to improve on bandwidth and performance.
Not sure if your router does QoS. Can limit and distribute the bandwidth for each user, bind by static IPs.
Old 20-05-2020, 11:14 PM   #10

Heard that most companies VPN is usually quite low bandwidth. My is only ~ 20mbps the most. 4 users about 100 mbps only.
Could VPN be the reason for drop offs?
diglomex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2020, 06:46 AM   #11
Master Member

Could VPN be the reason for drop offs?
Yes that is possible. It happens to me as well when working from home and use Microsoft Skype for Business and Microsoft Teams while on company VPN.

My kids were using Zoom and Google Meet for Home Based Learning and they have no issues.

On the other hand, among our colleagues, it seems to me SingTel Fibre gives the best stability for working from home (limited samples so it may not be totally correct).

Last edited by xiaofan; 21-05-2020 at 06:48 AM..
xiaofan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2020, 09:07 AM   #12
Arch-Supremacy Member

are u connected back to your office VPN? if yes, disconnect it and see if the situation improved?

if yes, likelihood is because your office firewall cannot tank so many concurrent users or your office internet pipe is insufficient.

subscribing to 2gbps will not solve your problem at all. I'm on the cheapest internet plan in singapore and before that, i have my neighbour beside me leveraging on my internet.. so total in the night i have average around 7 people using it.

So yes. don't bother with 2gbps connection. u also need to change a higher spec router than support load balancing for your 2gbps internet.
BradenHeat likes this.
Mclairs83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2020, 09:59 AM   #13
Supremacy Member

Probably router or isp problem

Posted from PCWX using Redmi K20
ohmygod1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2020, 10:03 AM   #14

You need a much better router.

EA8100 is not enough. Shop around and let us know which routers you "like" and we can help "suggest" the right router.
mrkiasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2020, 10:40 AM   #15
CFC

Hijacking this thread. Do u have any mesh or normal wireless router to suggest for a 4 room bto, hacked all walls and only left with wall between bedroom 2 and 3, running on m1 500mbps.

You need a much better router.

EA8100 is not enough. Shop around and let us know which routers you "like" and we can help "suggest" the right router.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.