Xiaomi's Routers!

Hoo8899

Reaction score
what are you using to test? test client also affects results.
verified it is using N-speeds?

quick and dirty test, using wired clients, not wireless clients:

connect computer on one end
connect known gigabit capable device on the other end. can be gigabit switch, router etc.
ensure the patch cables are cat5e or better

connect both devices. ensure computer can see the other device
assuming windows, in adapter settings, force it to 1Gbps speed.
if connection maintains, highly likely it is cat5e or better (cat 5 *may* be able to maintain 1Gbps with short cable length)

if using a switch, if the indicator shows 1Gbps link speed, most likely it is cat5e or better

or, remove the jack face plate. there is usually some slack. if you are lucky, that cable length will have have the markings to show the cable rating

edit: RT-N56U has gigabit ports. the 300Mbps is the wireless speed rating: https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RTN56U/specifications/
I used speedtest.net to test the bandwidth, and I can get 200mb when connecting to xiaomi which is hidden in the db box cabinet approximately 2-3 meter away. But the AP gave me max less than 100mb on wireless.

I would be surprise if the cable behind the wall are not cat5e or cat6, thanks for the suggestions and perhaps I will run some tests tonight.

Last edited:

loganrunning

Reaction score
I used speedtest.net to test the bandwidth, and I can get 200mb when connecting to xiaomi which is hidden in the db box cabinet approximately 2-3 meter away. But the AP gave me max less than 100mb on wireless.

I would be surprise if the cable behind the wall are not cat5e or cat6, thanks for the suggestions and perhaps I will run some tests tonight.

always expect the unexpected.

anyway, here's a useful quote:

https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/128955888-post7.html
Rule no.1 always use wired to do your speedtest. Confirm wired no issue then proceed to do wireless.

Rule no. 2 use speedtest client to do your test. Do Not run your speedtest from browser.

No. 3 Know your ISP limitation.

dyr

Reaction score
Which newer model still got usb port? Planning to upgrade my mi router 3g

MaoZeDuo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, may I ask if the setup below is optimised with the Xiaomi routers (Same SSID and Internet Mode: Dynamic IP) as access points?

DB Box:
ONT > Asus AC1200+ Router (Wan)

LVR:
Asus AC1200+ Router (Lan 1) > Xiaomi Router 3 (Wan)

BR:
Asus AC1200 Router+ (Lan 2) > TpLink SG105 Switch (Lan 1)

TpLink SG105 Switch (Lan 2) > PC
TpLink SG105 Switch (Lan 3) > Xiaomi R3P (Wan)
TpLink SG105 Switch (Lan 4) > Other device

miloaisdino

Reaction score
Hi guys, may I ask if the setup below is optimised with the Xiaomi routers (Same SSID and Internet Mode: Dynamic IP) as access points?

DB Box:

LVR:

BR:

hi are the xiaomi set in ap mode?

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

DB Box:

LVR:

BR:

it is better to connect your xiaomi routers to main router using LAN ports, it is also better to set xiaomi routers' ip to static ip .

if the ac1200's ip address is 192.168.1.1, set xiaomi routers to 192.168.1.2, 192.168.1.3. and you have to disable dhcp of the 2 xiaomi routers.

on ac1200, set dhcp range to start from 192.168.1.10

9N1Y9N1Y

Reaction score
Anyone using xiaomi router with USB linked hard disk? I keep getting this error not sure what's the issue.

连接路由器才能访问文件。你可以用小米路由器手机APP远程查看路由器的文件。

No issue using it previously. And able to see the files from the app. But not able to view from my Computer

Devilsire

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone using xiaomi router with USB linked hard disk? I keep getting this error not sure what's the issue.

连接路由器才能访问文件。你可以用小米路由器手机APP远程查看路由器的文件。

No issue using it previously. And able to see the files from the app. But not able to view from my Computer
Better late then never, u need to authorise your PC to have access to the usb linked storage in app or via miwifi Lan address.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.