HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Xiaomi's Routers!

Like Tree45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-06-2020, 01:50 PM   #616

Finally, there is 5G coverage in the washroom:

Where do u place ur 3600? U have floor plan to show? I considering this router. Any feedback? TIA

Sent from Xiaomi POCOPHONE F1 using GAGT
EvilQoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2020, 07:10 PM   #617
Arch-Supremacy Member

Xiaomi new ax1800 cheaper price and can have mesh network. Anyone using it? Very tempted to upgrade my R3P.
tckrto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2020, 10:46 PM   #618

any Xiaomi router in English interface? Can it change to Eng by firmware version etc?
tuntun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2020, 11:50 PM   #619
Arch-Supremacy Member

any Xiaomi router in English interface? Can it change to Eng by firmware version etc?
Web interface can use Google translation. App cannot.
Old 27-06-2020, 09:00 PM   #620

Check out this thread for reviews of the AX 1800

https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/i...6241076-8.html
okiknowu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2020, 11:50 PM   #621
SBC
Arch-Supremacy Member

Any AX5400 from Xiaomi soon?
SBC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2020, 01:58 AM   #622

Hi,
I just got my new BTO and planning to buy the Mi AX1800. Currently I have a terminal in the DB cabinet that backhauls ethernet connection to all the rooms. Would like to know if the below set up will work:

ONT > terminal inside the DB cabinet > backhaul to living room > Mi AX1800

I am planning to have just 1 router to serve my 4-room BTO.

Do I need to have additional router between the ONT and the terminal and set the Mi router to AP mode, or can I just connect the ONT directly to terminal and use the Mi AX1800 as a router?

Thanks
janghamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2020, 06:28 AM   #623

You need another data point in the living so that you can loop back to the DB cabinet and add a switch in the DB cabinet and to backhaul ethernet to the rest of the rooms.

TP--> ONT --> MI AX1800 --> Switch --> AP in rest of the rooms.

Hi,
I just got my new BTO and planning to buy the Mi AX1800. Currently I have a terminal in the DB cabinet that backhauls ethernet connection to all the rooms. Would like to know if the below set up will work:

Do I need to have additional router between the ONT and the terminal and set the Mi router to AP mode, or can I just connect the ONT directly to terminal and use the Mi AX1800 as a router?

Thanks
Old 18-07-2020, 10:22 AM   #624
Arch-Supremacy Member

Hi,

Thanks
BTW which ISP you plan to use?
Old 19-07-2020, 03:03 AM   #625

BTW which ISP you plan to use?
I have not signed up but am thinking of trying out Whizcomms

You need another data point in the living so that you can loop back to the DB cabinet and add a switch in the DB cabinet and to backhaul ethernet to the rest of the rooms.

TP--> ONT --> MI AX1800 --> Switch --> AP in rest of the rooms.
Thanks for your advise!

If let's say I am using the Mi AX1800 to serve the whole house via wifi and not going to have APs in the rooms, I won't need a switch in the DB closet right?
Old 19-07-2020, 08:09 AM   #626
Arch-Supremacy Member

Thanks for your advise!

If let's say I am using the Mi AX1800 to serve the whole house via wifi and not going to have APs in the rooms, I won't need a switch in the DB closet right?
Signal might not be strong unless u put the router at the center of the house.
tckrto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2020, 08:22 AM   #627
Master Member

Thanks for your advise!

For Whizcomms by default they will give you an ONR. In that case you can put the ONR in the DB box. And you need to configure your AX1800 as an AP. It acts as a router with four LAN ports so you can save the switch in the DB box. If you have structured Ethernet wiring at home, you can use the following.

Fibre TP -- ONR
ONR port 1-- living room AX1800
ONR port 2 -- room 1
ONR port 3 -- room 2
ONR port 4 -- room 3

Whether single AX1800 is good enough or not will depend on your room layout and where you put the AX1800.

Last edited by xiaofan; 19-07-2020 at 08:27 AM..
xiaofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2020, 11:12 AM   #628

Yes, personally, I prefer a one router solution.
Btw how big is your house ?
The Mi AX1800 wireless signal is not known to be strong. I would strongly recommend that you go for Mi AIot AX3600 for a single router solution

Thanks for your advise!

Last edited by uncle_josh; 19-07-2020 at 11:15 AM..
uncle_josh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2020, 01:51 AM   #629

Yes, personally, I prefer a one router solution.
Btw how big is your house ?
The Mi AX1800 wireless signal is not known to be strong. I would strongly recommend that you go for Mi AIot AX3600 for a single router solution
it's a 4-room BTO with 93 m2. I was considering the AX3600 also, but wasn't too sure if it's overkill haha, and I actually kinda prefer the looks of the AX1800

If I place the router as central as possible, do you think AX1800 would suffice? based on my layout max 1 wall between the router and each of my devices. I can't post my floor plan as my post count too low

I'm not a heavy user, main usage are for Netflix (4K), net surfing/streaming and occasional online console gaming.

For Whizcomms by default they will give you an ONR. In that case you can put the ONR in the DB box. And you need to configure your AX1800 as an AP. It acts as a router with four LAN ports so you can save the switch in the DB box. If you have structured Ethernet wiring at home, you can use the following.

Fibre TP -- ONR
ONR port 1-- living room AX1800
ONR port 2 -- room 1
ONR port 3 -- room 2
ONR port 4 -- room 3

Whether single AX1800 is good enough or not will depend on your room layout and where you put the AX1800.
Thanks for the advise! That saves me a lot of trouble. Just a few more qns:

1. Will setting it as AP affect its performance? I understand from other threads that functions/settings are limited once a router is set as AP mode.

2. Will I be able to connect my AX1800 (AP mode) via wired connection to my TVs/gaming consoles? Meaning ONR port 1 > living room AX1800 (AP mode) > TV/gaming consoles.

Thanks!
Old 20-07-2020, 08:12 AM   #630
Master Member

Thanks for the advise! That saves me a lot of trouble. Just a few more qns:

1. Will setting it as AP affect its performance? I understand from other threads that functions/settings are limited once a router is set as AP mode.

2. Will I be able to connect my AX1800 (AP mode) via wired connection to my TVs/gaming consoles? Meaning ONR port 1 > living room AX1800 (AP mode) > TV/gaming consoles.

Thanks!
1. Yes the features will be limited but the wireless coverage will not be affected.

2. Yes.

If you are worried about 1, then you have to request Whizcomms to configure the ONR as an ONT and you will have to add a switch in the DB.

FTP -- ONT -- cable -- Router in the living room -- cable -- switch --- to each room.
xiaofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.