HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

[Consolidated] Apple's New iPad Tablet

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-01-2010, 10:54 PM   #151

I can’t understand why people keeps comparing ipad with full notebooks or saying it is an enlarge ipad. No flash, no webcam, no multitasking & should have snow leopard instead on & on…….

The iphone has neither flash nor multitasking but how many were sold?
Remember the 1st gen of iphone? No copy & paste, low camera resolution, no auto focus & on & on…. Still people buy it.

Even now with 3gs, people are still complaining but why Starhub & M1 launched it with so much fanfare with full color pages of advertisement? And that’s after Singtel launched it 1 year ago. They have lost so much customers & revenues. They are so happy to have it so that they can recapture lost grounds to Singtel. How many so call iphone killers are there? Did they succeed? Only Google has a potential in Android 3 years after iphone. I am always amazed at the iphone accessories industry. And only for 1 model!

There’ll never be a product that will suit all people.
Some would say the screen is great & yet some will say too big or too small.

Apple does not become a US 50 billion company for nothing.
When a product is conceptualized, they have gone through countless rounds of meeting to decide what to put in or left out into the device. Maybe if they put in all the features, the battery life sucks, runs slower or it will be thicker hence less appealing. Or they want to space out the features for future generations so that they can earn more. Or if they put in all the features it will cost more to manufacture & hence higher price lower volume. There’s always shareholder value to consider. This is the real world & it applies to all profitable companies.

There’ll always be a next generation & the next with better features or cheaper.

I believe the point is that you take whatever specs or features the product have & ask yourself does it works for you? Is it affordable to you? If so get it & if not forget it & wait for the next version or some other companies comes out with a better product.

No complaint, no progress! hahaha
Old 28-01-2010, 11:03 PM   #152
High Supremacy Member

I keep thinking for iPad to be for in-car entertainment/control.
I wish it could utilise as a monitor for car and possibly replace in car controls, remote toggling. Zng riders will be able to harness computing while driving and possibly making Ford's newest in-car control feels aged.

I would think a web cam would be fabulous for cam whoring (not safe for driving but legal)- but not until iPhone has it first.

I wish TomTom has a iPad car kit too, now that the screen grew larger.

I have to re-emphasis the screen ratio is ghastly and heavily reminds me of funeral portrait.
all these wishes are exactly what apple want adopters to have so Apple can sell you overpriced accessories that should have been there in the first place.
Damn good strategy
JAson1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2010, 11:15 PM   #153

all these wishes are exactly what apple want adopters to have so Apple can sell you overpriced accessories that should have been there in the first place.
Damn good strategy
Apple may sell you overpriced accessories but at the same time they spawned other accessories companies eg. Belkin, Bose which make huge profits. Even the lower end accessories from China. Quite a few bros making a living out of that here too.

Soon there'll be ipad accessories for offer here. Some of it will be bloody creative I'm sure.

Seriously, they have a great marketing strategy which some find it overwhelming but can't resist.
dkuan88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2010, 11:16 PM   #154

• 16GB Wi-Fi only: US$499, that's S$699
  • 16GB Wi-Fi + 3G: US$629, that's S$880
  • 32GB Wi-Fi only: US$599, that's S$839
  • 32GB Wi-Fi + 3G: US$729, that's S$1020
  • 64GB Wi-Fi only: US$699, that's S$979
  • 64GB Wi-Fi + 3G: US$829, that's S$1160
IF you were getting one, which would you get?
NineNineNine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2010, 11:22 PM   #155

Damn good strategy
Yes and no I would say. In an in-car environment, the ball game is different.

I did not spend money on GPS, nor spend on LCD Head Units because they are never close to the superiority of computing+Internet. And primarily these GPS/Head Unit have too sucky interface to compete with and are a hassle. An iPhone/smart phone literally replace their existence. It really depends on the market size and developers effort to make this happen. When this happens, perhaps the accessory to get will probably be an ECU/video cable. - which is much cheaper than getting a Garmin GPS and LCD monitor.
Old 28-01-2010, 11:23 PM   #156
Arch-Supremacy Member

3G not applicable in Singapore no?
Vittra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2010, 11:35 PM   #157

They say international 3G coming soon around June (wait for WWDC for news) but I guess the wifi-only version will go on sale first?

I overall think something is wrong with the name, I know they are obsessed with the "i" but of all names must be iPad. The tablet still to me look like something that has no great benefits except you can use it in the toilet (this is something Jobs say when someone mention the tablet to him during the early years) with the only difference that now you can surf the internet in the toilet. But oh well for a tablet it does deliver but it still like the original iPhone, seriously lack of features that is already on competitors' products. Still Apple say this is belong to the category between the iPhone and a Mac (is this category really necessary, the Air can actually fit inside if they know how to price it right) so don't put too much expectations as I don't expect it to be a full-fledge laptop.
Alan-HWH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2010, 11:38 PM   #158
Arch-Supremacy Member

My prediction. The iPad will replace textbooks. That's a huge market.

Steve Jobs and Sir Alex Ferguson - never wrong, we are just unable to understand their minds.
Provided the iBooks store are available evrywhere.

I have a feeling the book store wont be available at all place, like the iTunes Music Store....

Sian
gooifier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2010, 11:43 PM   #159

in fact i think ipad is iphone killer having the same os and function but with a bigger screen for surfing. ipad should be a tone down version like a netbook compared to mac books so it does make sense to have a ipad and iphone thats both function differently. i mean i dont see the point having same os same fuction on them. they belong to different categories of tech gadgets and they should be somewhat different and not similar function tech gadgets
iPad does not make phone calls so it can't compete in the iPhone market.
Old 28-01-2010, 11:46 PM   #160

They say international 3G coming soon
You mean there are different kinds of 3G and so the current iPad 3G is not compatible with Singapore telcos?
Old 28-01-2010, 11:51 PM   #161

• 16GB Wi-Fi only: US$499, that's S$699
  • 16GB Wi-Fi + 3G: US$629, that's S$880
  • 32GB Wi-Fi only: US$599, that's S$839
  • 32GB Wi-Fi + 3G: US$729, that's S$1020
  • 64GB Wi-Fi only: US$699, that's S$979
  • 64GB Wi-Fi + 3G: US$829, that's S$1160
IF you were getting one, which would you get?
I think 16GB Wifi+3G cheap enough for telcos to give free if you get high-end BBOM contracts just add cash if you want the higher memory models.
Sofa_King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2010, 11:54 PM   #162

You mean there are different kinds of 3G and so the current iPad 3G is not compatible with Singapore telcos?
its the micro-SIM thingy
Sofa_King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2010, 12:03 AM   #163
Arch-Supremacy Member

I'll get the first version that would be launched then sell it to get the 3G one later.... hehehe
siron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2010, 12:07 AM   #164

Personally, I feel that the new Apple's iPad serve as an alternative for netbook users. The real victim would be Amazon's kindle reader. For me, I would rather have a netbook that runs Google chrome since I'm using most of its service. An iPhone would be sufficient for me to play games, music, calls and quick task.
Old 29-01-2010, 12:20 AM   #165
Arch-Supremacy Member

That's quite a picnic. You bring so many things on-the-go?
cyuxiang is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.