Old 29-01-2010, 12:24 AM   #166
Master Member

• 16GB Wi-Fi only: US$499, that's S$699
  • 16GB Wi-Fi + 3G: US$629, that's S$880
  • 32GB Wi-Fi only: US$599, that's S$839
  • 32GB Wi-Fi + 3G: US$729, that's S$1020
  • 64GB Wi-Fi only: US$699, that's S$979
  • 64GB Wi-Fi + 3G: US$829, that's S$1160
IF you were getting one, which would you get?
Your using too favourable exchange rates in your calculation. If current Apple Store prices in SG are to be considered, Apple uses a more favourable SGD$1.60 to the USD$1.00 for their calculations.
Therefore, Cheapest US$499 is more like S$799 and US$829 is more like S$1328, and all this is before GST consideration. Expect the worst, hope for the best.
Old 29-01-2010, 12:28 AM   #167
Master Member

based on apples past work i believe they can done much better for iPad
somehow i believe they just aiming for a pie share for pc tablets market thats why
an enlarged baby iphone popped out and the release date for wifi ipad on late march 3g ipad on june last minutes work is it ...

apple could have done better than that
Enough already. You want your Winblow pc, go get it. If you still don't get Apple, you never will. Stop being the spec-whore that you are and spewing rubbish. There is no tablets market to speak of. None of your posts have made any sense to me.
Old 29-01-2010, 12:32 AM   #168
Master Member

Actually SJ treats the rest of us as idiots. Over simplified all its products so that a 6-year old kid and 86-year old granny can operate them. Yes, Apple products can really do more. But SJ just wanna clamp things down in the name of complication. If you don't know by now, SJ is quite similar to LKY.

On the non-multitask complaint, I'm actually going to go with Apple on its decision. Why? Since you can't swap battery now with Apple devices, cutting out multitask feature would be less taxing to the batt. Honestly, multitask on mobile device (excluding notebooks)? I doubt many would do that.

Wish all the iDevices could play more video formats. But Apple refuses to allow so. Yes, the iPad, iPod touch, iPhone and Apple TV are capable on this. Well, Apple juz want users to buy its contents. However, pretty useless here if you don't go thru hoops to do it.
Haiz you again. Just get a PC and stop bitching about Apple already. I don't get you. Want to play your BT movies, get a PC. Wanna pay for content, get an Apple. Either way, no one is forcing you to go the Apple way so why do you still keep coming back here bitching?
Old 29-01-2010, 12:32 AM   #169
Arch-Supremacy Member

You mean there are different kinds of 3G and so the current iPad 3G is not compatible with Singapore telcos?
Different band frequencies.

Apple iPad supports the following:
UMTS/HSDPA (850, 1900, 2100 MHz)

All 3 telcos in Singapore uses 2100MHz (IMT). You can check band frequencies of major telcos here.

Notice AT&T uses a different band frequency.

Like others have mentioned, it's the micro-SIM incompatibility that will affect users here.
cyuxiang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2010, 12:33 AM   #170
Supremacy Member

Enough already. You want your Winblow pc, go get it. If you still don't get Apple, you never will. Stop being the spec-whore that you are and spewing rubbish. There is no tablets market to speak of. None of your posts have made any sense to me.
relax bro...
Old 29-01-2010, 12:47 AM   #171
Master Member

ipad=notebook pricing could have get a pretty choi notebook for asus at this price SG$1328.
well this a moment of temptation relex take a deep breathe and say SG$1328 ipad worth that much
Which would you consider worthwhile:

1. A S$1.3k iPad that serves as an educational and play tool for the children, an ebook and entertainment device for the wife and an in-car entertainment unit, ebook, entertainment and gaming device for me?

2. A S$1.3k gaming netbook for playing games.
Old 29-01-2010, 12:58 AM   #172
Arch-Supremacy Member

Old 29-01-2010, 01:07 AM   #173

Which would you consider worthwhile:

1. A S$1.3k iPad that serves as an educational and play tool for the children, an ebook and entertainment device for the wife and an in-car entertainment unit, ebook, entertainment and gaming device for me?

2. A S$1.3k gaming netbook for playing games.
3. A 1.3k funeral photo frame
Old 29-01-2010, 02:26 AM   #174
Master Member

Can use iPad for Funeral photo..
3. A 1.3k funeral photo frame
Aaa...pardon me oh austinmation, but your affection for funeral photo or frame or both of it is a little disturbing...
Is it a occupational hazard or.... a little secret fetish of your?

Last edited by crazyaboutapple; 29-01-2010 at 02:33 AM..
crazyaboutapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2010, 06:33 AM   #175
Arch-Supremacy Member

Well, well, well.

It looks like Apple is continuing to impose restrictions on their devices that limit both content publishers and consumers. Unlike many other ebook readers using the ePub file format, consumers will not be able to access ePub content with Apple's DRM technology on devices made by other manufacturers. And without Flash support, iPad users will not be able to access the full range of web content, including over 70% of games and 75% of video on the web.

If I want to use the iPad to connect to Disney, Hulu, Miniclip, Farmville, ESPN, Kongregate, or JibJab -- not to mention the millions of other sites on the web -- I'll be out of luck.

Adobe and more than 50 of our partners in the Open Screen Project are working to enable developers and content publishers to deliver to any device, so that consumers have open access to their favorite interactive media, content, and applications across platform, regardless of the device that people choose to use.
Source.

---

Some personal commentary:
I hate Flash websites. They load slowly (20%... 21%), they have time-wasting wow-wow-zzz animation that means nothing, and seriously, who doesn't click "Skip Intro"? Might as well make that a default choice.

But I love Flash games. They're simple, comes in a variety, and easy to load. (Java applets are more stable nowadays but they still give me the irks sometimes. I'll reserve them for Physics demonstration classes.) There was a time when Flash animation was the rage too, with self-directed jokes clips and music video.

HTML5 is an open standard. It will become common, sure-thing. Replace those troublesome and time-consuming Flash websites, I hope. But Flash games? I think they'll remain. Flash will still occupy the main bulk of what it does good in: multimedia and gaming. It'll certainly move on and improve, providing richer support that'll take years for an open standard to agree and adopt.

But we don't have to look so far. I bought a Windows Mobile phone because I wanted on-the-go support for reading Office documents from my Exchange email. (No I don't use it now, the screen is too small.) People have needs for their devices. The current trend is Facebook games, and for busy working young adults playing these games, on-the-go access to the games is what they would pay for. iPad, no Flash? Boo-boo.

Last edited by cyuxiang; 29-01-2010 at 06:46 AM..
cyuxiang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2010, 08:01 AM   #176

Aaa...pardon me oh austinmation, but your affection for funeral photo or frame or both of it is a little disturbing...
Is it a occupational hazard or.... a little secret fetish of your?
it's a wide screen ratio world but the iPad decides be somewhat lorry head photo ratio. Most would agree that rumored mock ups look more "right" than the real deal without the thick bezel.
hee.
Old 29-01-2010, 08:33 AM   #177
Arch-Supremacy Member

Personally, I feel that the new Apple's iPad serve as an alternative for netbook users. The real victim would be Amazon's kindle reader. For me, I would rather have a netbook that runs Google chrome since I'm using most of its service. An iPhone would be sufficient for me to play games, music, calls and quick task.
If you factor battery life, no; specialized ebook readers will still have its fan. Ipad batt life with wifi on definetely won't last more than 1 day.
Vittra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2010, 08:49 AM   #178

Just wondering how long will it take for someone to put SL in iPad.
Old 29-01-2010, 09:06 AM   #179

a the moment , the only setback to me is no usb port and webcam.
roslee7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2010, 09:27 AM   #180

Apple sued by Fujitsu over the New iPad name
http://titopanicker.net/blog/?p=500

while a Canadian lingerie company, Coconut Grove Pads, has the right to market iPad padded bras.
First. Maxipad. Now, iPad bras.

Looks like going to be iFlop.

Last edited by xcelerator; 29-01-2010 at 09:33 AM..
xcelerator is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.