HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

[Consolidated] Apple's New iPad Tablet

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-01-2010, 02:16 PM   #211

compare to a netbook, why would you want an iPad? any compelling reasons? Price is going to around the same. Specs wise its going to lose out on netbook.

It depends on what youíre using it for.

For me, the selling point of the device is being able to read ebooks and surf the net in color (compared to Kindle and other e-ink readers which are B&W) in comfort Ė whether lying in bed or on the sofa. Assuming it is ďinstantĒ on, it is very convenient if you are somewhere in the house and just want to check something online without having to go sit down on the PC desk or bootup the laptop.

I donít need high specs if Iím not gaming on the iPad or running intensive applications. No other device in the market now can give me the ability to comfortably read my PDFs and comics on my sofa.
alfseeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2010, 02:21 PM   #212
Arch-Supremacy Member

For me, the selling point of the device is being able to read ebooks and surf the net in color (compared to Kindle and other e-ink readers which are B&W) in comfort Ė whether lying in bed or on the sofa. Assuming it is ďinstantĒ on, it is very convenient if you are somewhere in the house and just want to check something online without having to go sit down on the PC desk or bootup the laptop.

I donít need high specs if Iím not gaming on the iPad or running intensive applications. No other device in the market now can give me the ability to comfortably read my PDFs and comics on my sofa.
i'm not sure about the 'comfortable' part............as i do not envision myself lugging this thing to bed to read books.........
Old 29-01-2010, 02:25 PM   #213

i'm not sure about the 'comfortable' part............as i do not envision myself lugging this thing to bed to read books.........
Iím not comparing between the Ipad and a magazine or a paperback. Iím just saying that its more comfortable than a netbook to hold in the hands.
alfseeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2010, 02:36 PM   #214

Apple & Bose are lifestyle brand-names for non-geeks and show-offs.....All fluff, over-priced with only basic features.
I take it you would describle yourself as a modest geek?
NineNineNine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2010, 02:56 PM   #215
Arch-Supremacy Member

I take it you would describle yourself as a modest geek?
yes, I am one of them....
Able to buy Bose QC3

sigh, a sucker for Apple....and now Bose despite its over-inflated price tag. I wsaw the QC3 and fell for it ...It's compact and the NC feature was tops. SQ wise, there are other brands that can thrash the Bose hands-down. Never did like Bose but I was won over by its design.

Last edited by Tuakong; 29-01-2010 at 02:59 PM..
Tuakong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2010, 02:58 PM   #216

i used to do that (on sofa, in bed, in toilet) few yrs ago with a lenovo tablet. altho heavier and thicker than iTampon, the tablet is a full-featured pc afterall (running xp) so it feels like having a pc in the hand in tablet mode. it's always on standby so as good as "instant on". there're devices that provide comfortable reading on the sofa.. it's whether u like the size/weight/price or not.
foxxkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2010, 03:02 PM   #217

like in real life......the common leechers like bimbos........all shiny & nice looking but without any worthy features......

then they married the bimbo home and found out that the bimbo is only good for show off to your friends during gathering....other than that....Nein.

I make no apology for my above comparison.
You referring to "bimbo" products like the iPhone? Not. Jobs is a multi-millionaire, I think he knows a thing or two more than us.

iPhone Dominates Mobile Web Still
With Android becoming ever more popular, Windows Mobile and Blackberry both touting themselves as mobile portals to the net... and a whole slew of other mobile devices, the iPhone STILL is over half of all mobile web traffic in the world. Symbian devices (read: Nokia) are second place - with less than half Apple's share at 21%. Not bad, Apple.
NineNineNine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2010, 03:14 PM   #218
Supremacy Member

I watched the keynote speech by Steve Jobs and he exaggerated the ipad with words beyond the ipod, iphone and the sky. It's far more basic than the iphone and it pales in comparison. So I have my doubts about Apple using Steve Jobs and Steve Jobs using superior words for an inferior product.
For the price, basicness and name, it has fallen short of being classic. I'm not impressed. Next!
Cant blame others. Apple set their own standard too high. iPOD touch was an innovation. I expect iPAD will be wowing me (minus the name though). But.....
Old 29-01-2010, 03:27 PM   #219
Arch-Supremacy Member

Unfortunately, Singapore is not 100% WIFI covered. If we have 100% WIFI connectivity in Singapore, then the non 3G model will be a good consideration.
WIFI + 3G, no mini SIM card until the local telcos introduce them, which is like, dunno when.
might be June/July as mention during the keynote.
Errz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2010, 04:19 PM   #220
High Supremacy Member

For those people crying to buy a netbook instead of the iPad, here's more food for thought.

Quoting the article from MacRumors, ARM Cortex A9 Performance Demo - Likely Chip to Power iSlate and Future iPhones:

ARM just posted this side-by-side performance video comparing a 1.6GHz Atom netbook vs. a Cortex A9 development board.

Browsing performance is roughly the same, though the Cortex A9 is revealed to be running at only 500MHz compared to the 1.6GHz of the Atom processor. While these are rather subjective benchmarks, it reminds us that the Cortex A9 is an attractive alternative to Intel's processors in the mobile space.

How's that for food for thought. A 500Mhz A9 processor outperforms one clocked more than three times it's CPU speed. Imagine the 1Ghz A9 then.

For tech geeks, more information on the A9.

/Dan

Last edited by leinad; 29-01-2010 at 04:22 PM..
leinad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2010, 04:26 PM   #221

The iPad got good and bad points but what determines if it is success or fail is SALES.
Analysts target 4 - 5 million units to be sold in 2010. If target is met then success if not then fail - simple?

Will I buy one? I'm an AAPL shareholder, so i guess I will.
alpha_kenny1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2010, 04:33 PM   #222
Arch-Supremacy Member

many of u ppl gave jobs and apple too much credit....

for every iphone/ipods, there's a apple pippins or appletv......

the thing is, not every released by apple is gold.

in fact, if u r old enough, i'm sure u can remember some of the spectacular duds apple released back then.....

Apple currently still have what i called the 'obama effect'. When obama first came into office early last year, the american hailed him as the coming of christ and savior, golden crown, turning water to wine, halo and all. But alas, reality kicks in and now ppl realised that he is no god.

Same with apple. They make good (looking) products....sure.........but every product they released is a repackaging of an existing product......with a better casing. The mainstream probably will be drooling over their stuff but any decent technology users will be baffled by the stuff that they released.
Old 29-01-2010, 04:35 PM   #223

just in case i miss out, surfing of net is only enabled by wifi? no such thingy as BBOM yea?
slorrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2010, 04:47 PM   #224

Just curious ,

If any of you were to buy an Ipad, what would you use it for,

Portable photo frame?
E-book reader
Showing presentations to clients?
Media?

Just fantasizing, but it would be great if the Ipad could be a CINTIQ killer. Imagine being able to draw on this! Sweet!
eutanesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2010, 04:52 PM   #225
Arch-Supremacy Member

anything can be gold if it works for u. Product works for others does not mean will work for u, same, what works for u does not mean will work for others.

"one man's meat is another man's poison"

Different ppl , different view, different way of life. $1000 dollar, can be spend many ways, so who is right to say how to spend it correctly?

As long u r happy with it, that is most important.

many of u ppl gave jobs and apple too much credit....

for every iphone/ipods, there's a apple pippins or appletv......

the thing is, not every released by apple is gold.

in fact, if u r old enough, i'm sure u can remember some of the spectacular duds apple released back then.....

Apple currently still have what i called the 'obama effect'. When obama first came into office early last year, the american hailed him as the coming of christ and savior, golden crown, turning water to wine, halo and all. But alas, reality kicks in and now ppl realised that he is no god.

Same with apple. They make good (looking) products....sure.........but every product they released is a repackaging of an existing product......with a better casing. The mainstream probably will be drooling over their stuff but any decent technology users will be baffled by the stuff that they released.
Errz is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.