HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

[Consolidated] Apple's New iPad Tablet

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-01-2010, 07:39 PM   #241
Supremacy Member

why you want to run pc software on a apple product unless it's games (MacBook) which the app store should have ample of them for you to choose from. But if you buy a MacBook or ipad/iPhone to play games then I would suggest chiu go hoot a ps3 or xbox360 instead..
dle4e_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2010, 07:44 PM   #242
Arch-Supremacy Member

lol, did you see the old man's reaction...
But seriously, ipad with phone function,how? Use the same way as the video? Or use bt / ear piece? Imagine ipad ring, u take out the whole ipad to see who call,or to dial number. Omfg! freaking stupid looking lol

its like drawing legs onto snake
Errz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2010, 08:24 PM   #243
Arch-Supremacy Member

I happened to know. Quick go buy 7635 sure open.... ;p
yah rigggghtttt
Errz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2010, 08:29 PM   #244

to me, ipad is in between iphone and macbook. During the apple keynote, steve job did says about it and thats why apple did not come out with netbook coz its sucks. I have tried using my friends netbook HP and i dont really like it coz of small screen and not easy to navigate. I will still buy the ipad if it got the USB coz i have the mobile unlimited data sim card . Sony came out with sony vaio NP610 and the screen so small and expensive. If u use iphone or itouch, u will like ipad coz its almost the same and the touch screen is one of the best. The best thing is that the iphone games and apps is compatible for ipad. If i gonna go out, i will definitely bring both iphone and ipad coz of different needs.
roslee7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2010, 09:05 PM   #245
Banned

in a nutshell, ipad would be heralded as a powerful "kindle killer" with multimedia capabilities that eclipse current electronic readers.

it was never and will not be on par with the netbook based on the ipad specs.
Southern Blend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2010, 09:11 PM   #246

he said it himself.. PC SOFTWARE.. tats y come up with ipad for apple software.. lol...

low quality display??? netbook now can play hd movie... not sure wad he means by tat...

slow? yeah,netbook is slow... how much faster can this 1ghz a4 processor over netbook atom n450.... we know can play hd movies at least...

but the main thing for ipad is... no PC SOFTWARE
precisely, i've been keeping my distance from netbook due its os. i was hopping apple comes with an alternative.

having said that, i was rather disappointed initially when i saw iPad run on os similar to iPhone.
Prob what it lack is the support for multitasking

Last edited by novatliz; 29-01-2010 at 09:14 PM..
novatliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2010, 10:03 PM   #247
Master Member

As I've mentioned before this launch, I'll be getting 1 for the entire family to share. It will be great for my 2 year old daughter to watch her Sesame Street and WIggles clips as well as play her toddler games on (all of which she does by herself now with my iPhone). My wife is already eyeing it for her lazy browsing needs on the bed, watching shows, reading books and recording and reading recipes in the kitchen. For me, it's a great device firstly as an in-car entertainment and navigation system, great for my part time schooling and of cos gaming and movies.

I see great potential for it being use in many industries and institutes of higher learning. If anyone here is so obsessed with things like the name, lack of multi-tasking and other features, and keep comparing it to existing market devices like the netbook when it is clearly in a whole class of its own, then they should definitely not waste their money on the iPad and get a netbook instead. I've had 3 netbooks in the past, none of them lasted me more than 6 months. I had the same disease before with Windows Mobile phones.... that was before I got my first iPhone 3G which I've been using till today.

The only complaint we have is that it does not support flash, rendering my wife's fav FB games unplayable on the device. 1 thing's for sure, we'll need to get this gmasked or at the very least condom protected, especially at the rate our daughter drops our iPhones now.
Actually it depends on your needs.
At almost a $1000, and with limited disk storage, the fever will be over in days after buying it. Iphone is different. You can put in pocket, but where to stuff an Ipad in?
earthyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2010, 10:29 PM   #248
Arch-Supremacy Member

I am just so glad abt the pricing Then again... Cant download like a normal mac... Even so with the size. Oh well...
Whatever it is... I AM GETTING IT! haha
siron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2010, 11:39 PM   #249
Master Member

to me, ipad is in between iphone and macbook. During the apple keynote, steve job did says about it and thats why apple did not come out with netbook coz its sucks. I have tried using my friends netbook HP and i dont really like it coz of small screen and not easy to navigate. I will still buy the ipad if it got the USB coz i have the mobile unlimited data sim card . Sony came out with sony vaio NP610 and the screen so small and expensive. If u use iphone or itouch, u will like ipad coz its almost the same and the touch screen is one of the best. The best thing is that the iphone games and apps is compatible for ipad. If i gonna go out, i will definitely bring both iphone and ipad coz of different needs.
you can cut your existing sim card use in the ipad.
systemx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2010, 11:54 PM   #250

Actually it depends on your needs.
At almost a $1000, and with limited disk storage, the fever will be over in days after buying it. Iphone is different. You can put in pocket, but where to stuff an Ipad in?
errr, a bag?
wedgehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2010, 12:11 AM   #251
Supremacy Member

precisely, i've been keeping my distance from netbook due its os. i was hopping apple comes with an alternative.

having said that, i was rather disappointed initially when i saw iPad run on os similar to iPhone.
Prob what it lack is the support for multitasking
It is not only the OS of the netbook, I would take the Macbook's touchpad over any non-apple brand laptop touchpad. You must use a mouse for sure unlike the macbook.

One of the best touchpad ever created IMO.
Old 30-01-2010, 01:49 AM   #252

just in case i miss out, surfing of net is only enabled by wifi? no such thingy as BBOM yea?
Yes the 3G models have the so-called "BBOM" capability.
NineNineNine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2010, 04:10 AM   #253

just for laughs
jaskoo80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2010, 04:56 AM   #254
Arch-Supremacy Member

Iphone 3G and netbook user here.

Another link on why iPad disappoints

Quote from the above link -> "The iPad, much like the iPhone, is completely locked down." For me, this is the main bugbear. Again have to wait for the iPad to be unlocked and jailbroken. Apple used to pit itself against the big brother of Microsoft, but now it is acting like a big brother itself.

No Cameras/USB? You'll have to buy adapters, accessories.

Can't get used to touch keyboard for typing? Get keyboard accessory.

No Java/Flash? Can jailbreak but expect problems.

The iPad can compete well in the tablet market even with the lack of real computing power and no multitasking. In the end, its the touch experience that ppl like in iPhones and tablets. So definitely iPad will win here. Against netbooks, precisely because iPad looks way nicer and is lighter, it will also compete very well.

Surprised that Apple got its own 1GHz Apple A4 custom-designed, high-performance, low-power system-on-a-chip. Thats a gd move by Apple. But not likely will be low power, likely will have power consumption problems.

Since iPad is using iPhone OS, it will have voice input. Can do simple commands like 'Shut Down' and 'Email' to open email application. Quite fun.

In the end, the iPad with its niche appeal will still earn Apple big big bucks.

Will I buy the iPad? Definitely not the first batch version. Wait for 1 year or 2 for the 2nd and 3rd version, just like iPhone.
kaisoz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2010, 05:38 AM   #255

thats quite a bit of discussion here, some thoughts

1. no flash, no usb, close platform
Apple has a tradition to 'lock down' the system since Lisa?? The reason is to deliver a controlled and quality experience. You can have it all in this life right? A controlled environment is restricted but given fewer variables, there are less hiccups. An open environment is flexible, with more variables, thus higher chance to 'abnormalities'. Yes you can fix the abnormalities with IT skills, but not everyone is IT trained and we can't expect them to. Nothing to do with bimbos

2. iPad vs netbooks
damn its a really terrible name... anyway I have been through alot of netbooks from eeePC, mini note, lenovo. I kinda stop buying them after getting MBA. Point is netbook keyboards are just too small for some serious typing (just check out the shift key) what about track pad? too small. So the MBA is the key writer for me now (and subsequent went on to pay for itself by increasing my productivity)
So if netbook keyboards are too small, and screen is too tiny to display some content well... what do we need for a bridge device for simple web surfing? the..(there we go again..) iPad. I will get it for presentation and on-the-go web surfing. And the apps?? I can't wait to do a quick flow chart/mind map on it whenever I have new ideas on the go. It will be a decent note taking tool as well (don't like my keyboard clicking during meetings/seminars)

3. Steve Jobs and Apple conspiracy
Some key players in the states are calling for more entrepreneurs to truly recover the global economy into overdrive, and they are asking for more Steve Jobs. He is also the CEO of the decade. So who the hell am I (read: are we) to doubt his technology and business sense? I hope we ('we' as in a political speak) can all get alittle more sense here on this whole 'Apple is ripping us off' theory. Fact is, technology is getting mainstream and it should be simple to use for the population. The population here doesn't care about setting, start, control panel, dock, preference. They care about talking to their friends, reading a simple article. And the iPod, iPhone, iPad are all meant to be SIMPLE to use. The break-through, revolution, what-ever-selling-terms, are geared towards simplicity which happens to be what the market wants.

And don't compare with MM Lee, if not for him we might not have broadband internet now. Can one of us lead the country better than him?

Anyway, I have also stopped my compulsive handphone trading after I got my iPhone 3G. On hindsight now, I save more money by 'settling for one' The search is always costly
lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.