HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

[Consolidated] Apple's New iPad Tablet

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-01-2010, 05:33 PM   #271
Arch-Supremacy Member

I tink the USB port is essential for transferring of photos esp if you are travelling overseas and is a trigger happy traveller.

Its also good for Internet Tethering esp at places where there is no WiFi.

So yup.. its really sad that there isnt a usb port =(
trigger happy? get more memory card. iPad max size is 32GB. now memory card are quite cheap. if u really traveling and a trigger happy person, u would have plan all these.
Errz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2010, 06:17 PM   #272
Arch-Supremacy Member

Apple reinventing file access, wireless sharing for iPad
http://www.appleinsider.com/articles..._for_ipad.html
Old 30-01-2010, 06:24 PM   #273
High Supremacy Member

found this on my friend's twitter, interesting 'comparison'

Apparently a Chinese company had released something 6 months before this in China. Looks very similar to iPad but slightly larger screen and with USB port. I'm not just hoping on the bandwagon for the sake of doing so but I think Steve really missed the boat this time.

And what's this about Fujitsu perhaps wanting to sue over the name? Apparently they used a similar name before?
derrickgoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2010, 06:51 PM   #274

i have the usb mobile broadband modem from starhub and if i got this ipad without USB slot, how to use it? the usb mobile modem with unlimited broadband is useful for me.
roslee7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2010, 06:56 PM   #275
Arch-Supremacy Member

i have the usb mobile broadband modem from starhub and if i got this ipad without USB slot, how to use it? the usb mobile modem with unlimited broadband is useful for me.
hmm. get the WIFI + 3G model? and change ur SIM card to the mini one (when its available from the telco)
Old 30-01-2010, 07:08 PM   #276

What/why do you think you will use the iPad for? How is it a notebook or a smartphone cannot do and yet the iPad can fill in the gap?

My thoughts directs towards in-car computing where notebook is hard to use and smartphone is small to navigate.
If there's an app that teaches you cooking, where a notebook seems too crumblesome and a smartphone again to small to show, this is probably where the iPad can fill in the gap.

Commercial usage for iPad seems more potential "out of the box" taking over iPod Touch - interactive menu stand, product demo, augment reality tours (if there was a camera!) or duties requiring content consumption or pushing to end users.

Some other thoughts against iPad - while mutlitouch keyboard makes iPad more "ubiquitous", the lack of tactile physical keyboard still makes it less friendlier to type on.

What can you think iPad could do that notebook and smartphone couldn't had done better?
Old 30-01-2010, 07:38 PM   #277
Supremacy Member

It's more of an advanced iPod Touch, thus more of a lifestyle device that is a cross between an iPod Touch and a netbook.

Potential uses would be in school, if publishers/schools decide to publish materials in the whateverthing open book format. You don't have to drag books to school and viewing notes would be easier since you don't need to bring the material itself or a notebook/netbook. Plus with WiFi/3G you could easily do some basic research. Plus with a dock you could do a presentation with the VGA out. No Apple Remote there though.

Or it could just be a casual entertainment device to be used in a home environment (like bluemint mentioned) or even for those who really really like to have a large screen + entertainment on the go. If you travel a lot, I guess you don't really need to bring a full fledged notebook or netbook if your needs are very basic...plus you can entertain yourself on the flight for quite a bit.

It's really just a supercharged iPod Touch really. And we might not get the iBooks library, especially since music from the iTunes Store is also not available for Singaporean users...although one might argue if Singaporeans will even make use of it at all.
Old 30-01-2010, 08:49 PM   #278

trigger happy? get more memory card. iPad max size is 32GB. now memory card are quite cheap. if u really traveling and a trigger happy person, u would have plan all these.
hmm yeah u r right.. make sense
chewbacca80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2010, 08:52 PM   #279
Arch-Supremacy Member

hmm yeah u r right.. make sense
heh , i'm a photographer myself ,so i understand
Old 30-01-2010, 08:59 PM   #280

heh , i'm a photographer myself ,so i understand
yeah sometimes i just like to return back to the hotel n immed trf the photos to laptop for editing.. but i realise too that i cant dl photo editing software into ipad =P so well...
Old 30-01-2010, 09:39 PM   #281
Master Member

As someone mentioned get the wifi+3G model ipad and you can cut your existing sim card so that it fits the new micro-sim slot.
systemx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2010, 11:03 PM   #282

Just to clarify, the usb adapter comes with the iPad as part of the package. So by all means complain about the fact that there is a USB adapter needed but don't complain that you have to buy an adapter because that's not true.
NineNineNine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2010, 11:16 PM   #283

huh? i tot it is sold seperately.. hmm
Old 31-01-2010, 12:03 AM   #284
Arch-Supremacy Member

Just to clarify, the usb adapter comes with the iPad as part of the package. So by all means complain about the fact that there is a USB adapter needed but don't complain that you have to buy an adapter because that's not true.
http://www.apple.com/sg/ipad/specs/

In the Box
iPad
Dock connector to USB cable
10W Power Adapter
Documentation
Old 31-01-2010, 12:04 AM   #285

Just thinking right now if a 3g model is worth it or should i just stick with a wifi one when it is released. Not even sure if the 3g one will come here though.

Guess some people will ask why i'm getting it, it's because i will be using it for work and school. Along with the extra goodies that comes with it. And i can't stand movies on small screen so yup
lacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.