Old 04-02-2010, 10:41 PM   #348
Arch-Supremacy Member

Exactly.

Also when looking for a good candidate for a job, I have just 1 criteria:

1. He must not be aaron2010 from HWZ.
muahahha.. good one.
Errz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 11:20 PM   #349

That's really cool. Any info on pricing?

Control is not necessarily a bad thing. I see that Apple so far has employed the right amount of controls (san AT&T limits imposed due to it's partnership) to make the App Store the success that it is and hence brought success to many small players.

People nowadays like to echo calls for freedom and less control in their lives without understanding or realising the eventual implications of what they are asking for.

You jailbreak your iPhone = you are more likely to use JB apps instead of purchase from the App Store = dampen the success of App Store especially in this region where JBing is rampant = industries think twice before bringing similar eCommerce offering here
The device costs 150USD.

People jailbreak because they want to use jailbreak applications and be "liberated". Some goes for themes, while myself for quick access controls.

But I agree Apple's control is necessary for its business module, as well as some censorship and security control, but some restrictions are simply drawing away people from buying off the App Store. 1 example is Smart Dial app, built because Apple isn't that smart to allow people to dial off an alphanumeric keypad. But the restriction Apple have prevented Smart Dial to replace the Apple's dumb dialer. The jailbreak shop fixes the gap and offers iSmart Dialer, giving intelligence to the dumb dialer.

To a certain extent, the jailbreak shop is also a place where Apple still benefits from, since jailbreak developers are writing apps for Apple products. You never know Cydia is a top secret funded project by Apple after all.
Old 04-02-2010, 11:52 PM   #350
Master Member

The device costs 150USD.

People jailbreak because they want to use jailbreak applications and be "liberated". Some goes for themes, while myself for quick access controls.

But I agree Apple's control is necessary for its business module, as well as some censorship and security control, but some restrictions are simply drawing away people from buying off the App Store. 1 example is Smart Dial app, built because Apple isn't that smart to allow people to dial off an alphanumeric keypad. But the restriction Apple have prevented Smart Dial to replace the Apple's dumb dialer. The jailbreak shop fixes the gap and offers iSmart Dialer, giving intelligence to the dumb dialer.

To a certain extent, the jailbreak shop is also a place where Apple still benefits from, since jailbreak developers are writing apps for Apple products. You never know Cydia is a top secret funded project by Apple after all.
Dude, that last paragraph makes terrible sense. In the real world, it's the same psychology that allows terrorists and bankers to continue to do what they do...

All reasons I've heard so far are very minor and particular issues, like the one you've mentioned with smart dial. If millions can use the phone the way it is, I don't see any justification for jailbreaking, apart from using 2G iPhones outside of AT&T. I've personally jailbroken my 2G iPhone in the past and I was tempted at one point to use Cydia, but I gave up that idea very quickly. It boils down to principal. I really don't want to preach, but I feel very strongly that if someone can afford to pay hundreds of dollars for a phone, they must be willing to spend a few dollars for applications that they will use. Don't be one of those BMW 5 series owners topping up 92 octane petrol, or in this case going for cheap grade petrol across the causeway while using a fuel gauge switch.
Old 05-02-2010, 12:54 AM   #351
Arch-Supremacy Member

you never know what you can get tons of freebies even better from having flash embedded in iphone or ipad. well your bills must be screaming over paid downloadables apps. think you must be god damn riches. well dont we want flash inside iphone and ipad right, isnt that the basic complaints over the years from iphone.

a fishing pole to hook smart alecks like you
people will be damn to be treated like fishes in a pond
Flash? freebies? u talking about GAMES? I am talking about useful APPS.

Please Enlighten me of what kinda useful stuff u using is build from flash . I am talking about Finance,lifestyle,producitiy,photography, etc type. not GAMES.

About freebies,.. how about u work for free? if u r working currently, go to ur boss, tell him "Boss, I decide to work for free"

U pay for what u want. just like ur company pay for what u do. U expect everything will be free? the way u think is kinda, weird. My bills screaming? now who's the 'smart aleck' here? do u buy things that u don't need ?

If the apps is what i need, i'll pay for it. just in case u don't know, there are good free apps in Itunes too. are u going to use 100 over apps?

anyway, will not be replying to ur post anymore cause i dont really understand what the hell u talking about. no point waste my time

Last edited by Errz; 05-02-2010 at 12:56 AM..
Errz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 02:15 AM   #352
Arch-Supremacy Member

you must be an expensive koi fish in a small pond always getting hooked up nevertheless

cant blame you some people like you are born to be rich
some people lke you swims in a murky well...or u might prefer, born into one.

When ignorance gets started it knows no bounds

I'm sure it would be very easy for you to prove that ignorance knows no bounds....that is if u have not already.
GegeV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 03:05 AM   #353

you never know what you can get tons of freebies even better from having flash embedded in iphone or ipad. well your bills must be screaming over paid downloadables apps. think you must be god damn riches. well dont we want flash inside iphone and ipad right, isnt that the basic complaints over the years from iphone.

a fishing pole to hook smart alecks like you
people will be damn to be treated like fishes in a pond
Like somebody said earlier in this thread, there are bound to be critics and complaints by people who hasn't even seen or touch the real thing yet - "No flash, no multi-task, got to pay for apps, etc". But when the product is launched, these iPhone/iPad bashers mysteriously disappear. Like the iPhone, good reviews appear and the product becomes best seller.

Only time will tell. No point wasting time arguing. Maybe one of these critics can come out with 'FreePad' that has flash, camera, USB, core3triple, 256Gb SSD, multi-tasking. Oh yes, with free apps from developers and a free game called 'Fishing Smart Alecks'.

Ok, Ok, is getting too fun. Got to stop before I get out of hand and kenna whack left right centre ... with a FreePad.
kapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 03:33 AM   #354

Dude, that last paragraph makes terrible sense. In the real world, it's the same psychology that allows terrorists and bankers to continue to do what they do...

All reasons I've heard so far are very minor and particular issues, like the one you've mentioned with smart dial. If millions can use the phone the way it is, I don't see any justification for jailbreaking, apart from using 2G iPhones outside of AT&T. I've personally jailbroken my 2G iPhone in the past and I was tempted at one point to use Cydia, but I gave up that idea very quickly. It boils down to principal. I really don't want to preach, but I feel very strongly that if someone can afford to pay hundreds of dollars for a phone, they must be willing to spend a few dollars for applications that they will use. Don't be one of those BMW 5 series owners topping up 92 octane petrol, or in this case going for cheap grade petrol across the causeway while using a fuel gauge switch.
The two apps I compared both cost money -
Apple - Smart Dial = $0.99
Cydia - iSmart Dialer = $7.99

It is znging the BMW 5 series, as a form of pursuing the development of a platform that pitches for your money, be it from Apple or Cydia.

It's a matter of choice to remain contented with what Apple provides or to jail break since there are millions of jailbroken iphones as well. Apologises, I did not clarify myself clearly, but I hope you do not perceive jail break to be unorthodox and morally wrong, filled by cheap thrills and piracy. I respect your choice but would also like to highlight that Apple itself is not all saint in protecting their business.

Apple's infamous App approval policy had withdraw legit apps like GV Mobile, pushing people to jail break their devices - is it truly because GV Mobile duplicate the functions that Apple has or is it due to Google, I think many would find the latter. If Apple were at war with Facebook and ban Facebook app, I think people will just boycott Apple. However, I truly do not care about Apple's business wars, since jail break liberates these power struggles.

Back on platform pursue, someone mentions the cheap GPS modules smart phone ships in, I agree. If anyone tried using Google Maps with live traffic driving above 90km/h, they may find the GPS to be inaccurate as well as maps not updated because of the network load. I wouldn't mind paying more for an external GPS module like the TomTom car kit for iPhone to work better for me. And since I cannot ensure my 3G network to cope with the data load, a jail break iphone storing map cache can work around this situation. These measurement pushes beyond what Apple/Singtel/Nature had provided, but a user's choice to extend it to his needs.

Although Apple releases the API for its 30 pin connector, I still find manufacturers slow in adapting their hardware for iPhone/iPod touch. The iPods accessories are now abundant and successful, in a dying market (to me). I want to see more accessories catering for the iProducts like for in-car computing in a mac environment - like the PLX Device or this: http://www.viper.com/SmartStart/Features.aspx

I just yearn for how the iPad can be used and pushed beyond Apple's perceived market - through both software and hardware by us, the activists (some stereotype as Apple fanboys) to consume technology and have 1 device to govern multiple environments.
Old 05-02-2010, 07:01 AM   #355
Great Supremacy Member

What a farked up name.

No women in apple marketing department? How come they never vetoed this name.

Dude, pad as in notepad.
Don't think too much.
Old 06-02-2010, 01:04 AM   #356
Master Member

It's a matter of choice to remain contented with what Apple provides or to jail break since there are millions of jailbroken iphones as well. Apologises, I did not clarify myself clearly, but I hope you do not perceive jail break to be unorthodox and morally wrong, filled by cheap thrills and piracy. I respect your choice but would also like to highlight that Apple itself is not all saint in protecting their business.

Apple's infamous App approval policy had withdraw legit apps like GV Mobile, pushing people to jail break their devices - is it truly because GV Mobile duplicate the functions that Apple has or is it due to Google, I think many would find the latter. If Apple were at war with Facebook and ban Facebook app, I think people will just boycott Apple. However, I truly do not care about Apple's business wars, since jail break liberates these power struggles.

Back on platform pursue, someone mentions the cheap GPS modules smart phone ships in, I agree. If anyone tried using Google Maps with live traffic driving above 90km/h, they may find the GPS to be inaccurate as well as maps not updated because of the network load. I wouldn't mind paying more for an external GPS module like the TomTom car kit for iPhone to work better for me. And since I cannot ensure my 3G network to cope with the data load, a jail break iphone storing map cache can work around this situation. These measurement pushes beyond what Apple/Singtel/Nature had provided, but a user's choice to extend it to his needs.
That's where I fundamentally disagree. I believe that there is no such thing as freedom of choice, just perceived freedom, either created by the state, politicians, corporations or a person's psychological state of mind. Where technology is concerned, a properly controlled platform is the only way to ensure that the user gets a standard reliable experience each and every time. This has been Apple's strength over it's competition since the beginning of time. A simple request to have themes on the iPhone requires tens of thousands if not more lines of code changes in the SDK and testing and retesting the millions of ways these changes affect all existing and future applications, not to mention the security implications involved. For jailbroken phones, nobody cares about any of this, hence themes implementation can be done in the blink of an eye in development time. Jailbreaking is a quick fix that jeopardises the future of a great platform and the fantastic ecosystem that has benefitted thousands of others besides Apple themselves. What is morally wrong is when you find reasons to jailbreak that are flimsy and often exaggerated to propagate the act. The infamous app approval policy issue between Google and Apple keeps coming up and being used as evidence of the App Store's "perceived strong-arm tactics" but if I were to press you for a few more examples, you'd have to start googling pretty hard. The truth is that there's many things going on between Apple and Google and as consumers we should not pretend we know exactly what's going on based on a few web articles that we read. Instead, we should see the App Store for what it is and what it will be. It's brought success to more small developers such as you and me than anything else ever and for the 30% Apple takes from the developer, they actually do quite a lot of work testing and debugging the apps for you besides providing the awesome platform.

There are quite a few Apps currently that offer offline caching of maps on the App Store. To offer this excuse firstly is to penalise Apple for a shortcoming of a Google App and secondly another flimsy attempt to justify Jailbreaking.
Old 06-02-2010, 06:35 AM   #357
Great Supremacy Member

That's where I fundamentally disagree. I believe that there is no such thing as freedom of choice, just perceived freedom, either created by the state, politicians, corporations or a person's psychological state of mind.

Break free of your reins, get out of your mortal shells and its confinements.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:06 AM   #358
High Supremacy Member

I know the ipad has other uses besides surfing net but surely that is one of the more common uses. And i dunno abt u guys but the inability to view flash enabled sites sure pisses me off. And many websites need flash.

Just the other day my cousin & i were thinking of going to G2000 & went online to see where's the nearest outlet. He used his iphone & hit a brickwall. Flash required! I had to use my N97.

Sure we can say ignore those sites that need flash but considering how many of these sites there are, it can be a real inconvenience to be "locked out". And Jobs can say what he wants about flash but bottomline is many sites need it & the inability of iphone & ipad to view these sites is a pain!

U may beg to differ but im not prepared to pay a premium for a product that doesnt allow me to view flash enabled sites which btw is a helluva lot of sites. It might be the best mp3 player cum video viewer cum what not but if i cant view all websites, its a lemon to me.

Of and for the record, im not a mac hater having owned a 2nd gen imac & macbook previously and currently owning a mbp & soon a 27" imac.

Last edited by derrickgoh; 06-02-2010 at 09:11 AM..
derrickgoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 01:45 PM   #359
Supremacy Member

Can give example of those sites that needs flash that you use often?(Daily) If you want to check where is the nearest outlet of G2000, you could always google it out.
Old 06-02-2010, 02:02 PM   #360
High Supremacy Member

Can give example of those sites that needs flash that you use often?(Daily) If you want to check where is the nearest outlet of G2000, you could always google it out.
We did try Google. The only website that had any info remotely related gave only 4 outlets which neither included Junction 8 nor Wisma Atria.
derrickgoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.