HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

[Consolidated] Apple's New iPad Tablet

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-01-2010, 04:18 PM   #76
Arch-Supremacy Member

iPad is in between iphone and macbook/imac. if u need something light and able to do what u can on macbook or imac, u have Macbook AIR.
Errz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2010, 04:22 PM   #77
High Supremacy Member

I'm actually quite attracted by the potential of the A4 processor, more so than that of the iPad.

I'm seeing the head fake in this presentation. In addition to a device I actually wouldn't mind owning, I saw the entire keynote as Apple sending a very stark and strong message to chip manufacturers - "We don't need you to play games with us on chip/chipset prices and all."

This gives them quite unprecedented bargaining power with Intel and nVidia... And potentially AMD.

/Dan
Old 28-01-2010, 04:24 PM   #78
Greater Supremacy Member

this ipad is just a very good e-reader like kindle but twice the price and much much more functions...

but i think hp slate is better,coming with window 7....
idiort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2010, 04:31 PM   #79
High Supremacy Member

this ipad is just a very good e-reader like kindle but twice the price and much much more functions...

but i think hp slate is better,coming with window 7....
It isn't merely like the Kindle though... I can envision it being used in much better circumstances/areas. There is an SDK, it runs apps and is already born into an ecosystem of apps and music.

Also, the publishers are more likely to want to publish their content through a centralized distribution channel like the Book Store... There are a lot of people who actually do pay for every one of their apps and music and games. And I'm pretty sure books will be cheaper than print textbooks.

That kind of ecosystem is hard to beat.

And when you consider that the product is so slim and portable, and you get usability. Students carrying them around instead of heavy textbooks - because they want to. Medical Professionals would be using them with patient diagnostics. Production lines as control machines. Presenters using them for presentations where they can actually draw on the slides live rather than use a boring laser pointer...

I see a lot of very exciting possibilities for this, not just the overglorified eBook reader many people seem fixated on.

/Dan
Old 28-01-2010, 04:32 PM   #80

my impression is that this ipad is meant to attack the e-reader market as an e-reader with so much more functions compared to other e-readers like kindle etc..just like idiort said.. dun think apple said that this is their vision of a netbook right? u wan netbook u got macbook air alr wad.. altho abit ex.. so theres not much point in comparing this to a tablet.. im sure the kindle doesnt allow u to multitask too..

i also wanna say that the design of this is super nice and super wow.. so thin! haha..
jimmytjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2010, 04:33 PM   #81
Master Member

i think i will reserve my comments until i try the ipad hands-on. It is definitely a device i see myself bringing overseas if i am on a holiday.
Old 28-01-2010, 04:35 PM   #82
High Supremacy Member

i think i will reserve my comments until i try the ipad hands-on. It is definitely a device i see myself bringing overseas if i am on a holiday.
Likewise for me.

A lot of people weren't too sure about the iPhone, and then the iPod Touch. And look how it's grown to be such an integral part of many peoples' lives.

I foresee the iPad being the same, really. And as mentioned earlier, even chipmakers will sit up now that Apple's got it's own chips in the market and is much less dependent on them already.

/Dan
Old 28-01-2010, 04:39 PM   #83
Greater Supremacy Member

It isn't merely like the Kindle though... I can envision it being used in much better circumstances/areas. There is an SDK, it runs apps and is already born into an ecosystem of apps and music.

Also, the publishers are more likely to want to publish their content through a centralized distribution channel like the Book Store... There are a lot of people who actually do pay for every one of their apps and music and games. And I'm pretty sure books will be cheaper than print textbooks.

That kind of ecosystem is hard to beat.

And when you consider that the product is so slim and portable, and you get usability. Students carrying them around instead of heavy textbooks - because they want to. Medical Professionals would be using them with patient diagnostics. Production lines as control machines. Presenters using them for presentations where they can actually draw on the slides live rather than use a boring laser pointer...

I see a lot of very exciting possibilities for this, not just the overglorified eBook reader many people seem fixated on.

/Dan
yar,it can be a useful gadget for students who dun wan to bring textbook around... but the base model,499usd for 16gb model is pretty steep... its pretty limited in much functionalities at the moment...

for me,i cant wait to see how much hp slate will cost... its using win 7 os which offers much more than this iphone os 3.2

IF only this ipad using mac os,i think it will be a big big big winner man... can multi task,can do lots things.. can even dual boot if needed..
Old 28-01-2010, 04:46 PM   #84
Greater Supremacy Member

The combo i would go for to include iPad into my current setup:
1. Dump MacBook Pro for iMac: cost less with same/more processing power
2. Get iPad 3G 32GB: Stuff edited work/presentation, on the go anytime.
erm... macbook pro definately hell lots better than this ipad man...

macbook pro can multi task,video cam,dual boot and the processor is a lot faster.. add in graphic card somemore....

i'd get macbook pro anytime than this ipad... but yeah,its big,bulky and heavy though..
Old 28-01-2010, 04:50 PM   #85

Likewise for me.

A lot of people weren't too sure about the iPhone, and then the iPod Touch. And look how it's grown to be such an integral part of many peoples' lives.

I foresee the iPad being the same, really. And as mentioned earlier, even chipmakers will sit up now that Apple's got it's own chips in the market and is much less dependent on them already.

/Dan
lol what if apple suddenly pull a fast one and say all MBPs / iMac will be powered by the new Apple A5 or A watever processer instead of the intel i5/i7.. LOL.. massive shock i'll guess..
Old 28-01-2010, 04:51 PM   #86
Greater Supremacy Member

lol what if apple suddenly pull a fast one and say all MBPs / iMac will be powered by the new Apple A5 or A watever processer instead of the intel i5/i7.. LOL.. massive shock i'll guess..
if tat happen,must faster sell apple shares if u have any..
Old 28-01-2010, 04:53 PM   #87

if tat happen,must faster sell apple shares if u have any..
lol and snap up current models.. if not next time cannot run windows liao.. haha.. but i was truly surprised that they used their own chips.. my first thought was wad if they self make from now on.. haha.. my laptop will then be limited edition! haha..
Old 28-01-2010, 05:03 PM   #88
Arch-Supremacy Member

I think the ipad can make a really good portable gaming machine too.
Imagine tieing it up with a bluetooth gamepad or mouse and u can bring it to hotel room (while on biz trips) and play games!
porcu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2010, 05:09 PM   #89
Honorary Member

no multi-tasking no buy.
Most impt feature.

Old 28-01-2010, 05:09 PM   #90
Arch-Supremacy Member

How can it even compete with other tablets running Windows 7 when it's not even preloaded with Snow Leopard?

That limit the advantages to (hype), battery life if not all?
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.