HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

[Consolidated] Apple's New iPad Tablet

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-01-2010, 07:52 PM   #121
Arch-Supremacy Member

It does have built in 3G, you know.

I'm sure it's only a matter of time our operators get Micro SIM. Apple's like that - they push out (old) standards faster than anyone else and the industry follows behind.

Soon, you'll be hearing of Micro-SIM phones being the norm.

/Dan
Talk to the market of feature phones about that.

I don't see the need for smaller SIM cards in phones, and unless there are other important advantages, don't foresee a strong following here. Are there tangible benefits for us in switching over to micro-SIM? Larger capacity? Better security features?

And I'm sure Apple is getting flak for its adoption of BD, and its involvement with Intel for Light Peak, which some have speculated, lead to Intel's delay in USB3.0 adoption.
cyuxiang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2010, 07:53 PM   #122
High Supremacy Member

seriously, as long i can surf net on bbom in camp. i will get this.

i think the price will be alittle over 1k though...
noobiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2010, 07:59 PM   #123
Master Member

Apple won't put Flash in it. It will compete with the App store games sales if they implement Flash for users to play facebook games.
Mentioned this in my earlier post in another thread already.

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/sh...&postcount=593
Old 28-01-2010, 08:02 PM   #124
Master Member

Wait for jailbreak then I'll buy.
Great, keep contributing to asia's notorious reputation for piracy. Wonder why people still ask when iTunes will be released here.
Old 28-01-2010, 08:09 PM   #125
Master Member

Talk to the market of feature phones about that.

I don't see the need for smaller SIM cards in phones, and unless there are other important advantages, don't foresee a strong following here. Are there tangible benefits for us in switching over to micro-SIM? Larger capacity? Better security features?

And I'm sure Apple is getting flak for its adoption of BD, and its involvement with Intel for Light Peak, which some have speculated, lead to Intel's delay in USB3.0 adoption.
http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/27/a...sim-explained/
Old 28-01-2010, 08:11 PM   #126

As a person who brings their 4.5 lb MacBook to school everyday, I have to say that I'm glad Apple released something like this.

I think having a desktop (e.g. iMac) for home and a tablet/netbook for travel is the perfect combination. A general laptop provides neither the power of a desktop nor the portability of a netbook or tablet. A tablet/netbook satisfies my requirements at school perfectly, and I'm probably going to get an iMac as my next computer (although it'll be a while before I can afford a new desktop if I drop S$700-1000 on the iPad).

I'm pretty excited for the iPad, personally. At first, I thought it was a little underwhelming, but I read more about it (and watched some videos), and I feel that the iPhone can't even compare to the iPad in terms of potential functionality. (Obviously, right now, there are no apps for it.) The screen is much larger, which means almost full desktop apps can be created. I can't wait to see what some iPad-native Twitter apps and games will be like. Not to mention iWork, which will allow me to actually use it for school.

So, no, it's not just a glorified iPhone, unless you look only at a superficial level.
Da-vid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2010, 08:13 PM   #127
High Supremacy Member

if singtel introduces micro sim with bbom

thats it for all netbooks~

and it will be a standard saf bunk item =/
noobiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2010, 08:18 PM   #128

Yeah, they misunderstand this device, it was never meant to run something like Snow Leopard/OS X in the first place. I'll probably wait for the iPad 2.0 when they finally give me something extra. Let all the rich people/guinea pigs buy 1.0 first then regret.
xcelerator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2010, 08:26 PM   #129

wonder how to transfer iwork documents to the ipad... by sync-ing??
Old 28-01-2010, 08:29 PM   #130
Master Member

if our local telecoms bringing it in i think it will be much cheaper if we get it with the 3g.....
but i hope for a well-designed carrying-case...haha

n if i get this i wont get the iphone 4g already, will stay with 3g....

Last edited by machapple; 28-01-2010 at 08:34 PM..
machapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2010, 08:41 PM   #131

why the ipad is good

ok, after reading 9 pages of why the ipad sucks ( blood, lol, if u get my meaning) here's why i think the ipad is good

1. It's probably the best E-reader around now. Now dun get me wrong, i love the traditional feel of books. Although kindle and watever hasn't gotten to me yet, but i love it when apple gets into the online book business....b/c whenever something get popular, you are bound to be able to get it for free online. Woots to being able to get bestsellers fast and easy on the pocket . I dun have to spend $24.9 for a copy of freakonomics again.

2. Games. I really like iphone games... Now we are going to have 9.7 inch of gaming space. PS2, Xbox games dun get to me nowadays b/c they are too long, kinda boring to me anyway ( come on, 70 hours for a RPG game? Yea, when i am 15 years old)

3. Movies will be nice. It can broadcast HD!! Enuff said. I can laze back in my bed and watch movies

4. I think i just need someone to jailbreak it so that is can run a net browser with flash + someone come up with a cheap ( eg, openoffice ) version of Office. Sooner or later, some one will come up with a portable docking station that makes it function like a netbook ( not very hard, 2 flaps that can hold the screen, a keyboard + maybe even a slim batter pack for $69.9, will you buy? )

and where can u find a gorgeous netbook for $650 +69.9 sing???

I really dunno why folks goes on and one about it being ahuge itouch or iphone...but tat's the point rite? Why spoil a golden formula?? Now improve on it and give it a huge screen....Oh yes, 140 K of apps...wow and yum.
I am waiting
Old 28-01-2010, 08:42 PM   #132

Great, keep contributing to asia's notorious reputation for piracy. Wonder why people still ask when iTunes will be released here.
Since when is jailbreak = piracy???
Sofa_King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2010, 08:53 PM   #133

Would like to share my experience.

I'm using iphone 3GS, MBP, HP Mini.

My grouse - iphone screen too small, short batt life for heavy browsing when on the go.
Recently, eyesight getting poorer for small screen. 老花眼!

MBP - For office use - too heavy to lug around & last 2+ hrs only. Need to carry charger when traveling. Must take out for security check at airport & must take out bat when going to USA. Cursing Osama all the way. And that's for biz trip only. Guys who travel often & needs to be on the go the whole day would understand the shoulder dislocating feeling. When going for a longer holiday also must carry along for some urgent work. Very troublesome.

which leads me to a HP Mini but

It's an XP - and it keeps reminding me why I switch to Mac in the 1st place.
Atom - very slow but boh pian as it is lighter & more portable than MBP.
Moreover I can surf on the bed & watch 1 movie on the plane b4 batt goes kaput.

So that's why I think ipad will suit me. Am considering a Macair till this came along.
Long bat life, light, large screen can surf in the bed/bathrm.
More powerful than a netbk.

No webcam - it's useful not having one sometimes u know what I mean!
Can leave the heavy stuff at home.

btw I travel quite a bit & I use to buy books at the airport so that I can read on the plane & while waiting at the airport.
So much so that my wife complains that I do not have enough bookshelves liao. Always donate to library.
So now I can buy ebooks! Yay!

So the ipad is not a toy or showoff but it serves a market niche in a similar situation like me. for sure to get one!

Last edited by dkuan88; 28-01-2010 at 09:00 PM..
dkuan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2010, 08:55 PM   #134

I wonder how long we will have to wait before we can buy books off the iPad, no mention of that app on the SG Apple site yet as far as I can see?
Soyokaze76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2010, 08:55 PM   #135
Master Member

Since when is jailbreak = piracy???
I don't know anyone who's jailbroken their iPhone without the intention of getting Apps free. If you said you didn't you would be the first.
systemx is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.