HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

[PART TWO] Convinced now 2nd problem arise !!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2010, 01:43 AM   #16

I'm really sorry but you should have anticipated that bringing such an expensive device to school is going to attract a lot of unwanted attention. There's only a few practical solutions to your problem:

1. Don't bring the ipad to school, unless you are prepared for it to get damaged (or unless you are willing to beat a few people into submission)
2. Don't use the ipad in front of your friends, IF you have to bring to school. Assumes that your friends will not open your bag without your permission.
3. Get a super hard casing like the iPad Defender Case:
http://www.otterbox.com/ipad-cases/i...r-series-case/
(must order from US)
4. Get a leather folio like the Marware Eco-vue which is heavy and will protect your iPad from minor drops (assuming that it's not open when it drops). Make sure you get a screen protector for minor scratches. There are other similar folio cases that will encase your iPad and give it a good level of protection.

Honestly, if you plan to use the ipad for school studies, there'll be other opportunities for you to do so outside of school, out of the sight of your 'friends'. In the meantime, I suggest you always backup your device via itunes, and be prepared for some damage to the ipad.

The iPad is NOT a device that can be easily passed around like a phone due to its heavy weight. It's far too easy to drop it. Are you sure, if that happens, you can get your friends to replace yours? Or similarly, what's to ensure that someone will not steal your expensive new toy if you leave it unattended for even a moment?

Note: When I queued up for the iPad, I noticed that most of the people in the queue are working adults or at least university students, where the likelihood of violent friends grabbing/tussling over your iPad is long past their time.

Last edited by saidean; 06-08-2010 at 01:48 AM..
saidean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 01:46 AM   #17
Supremacy Member

It is common when you have new thing that people like to feel and touch and leave behind oily finger print on the screen ...especially when you have a new notebook they need to use their finger point until touch the screen than happy or when they over excited talking about this new thing ...drop-let start appear on the screen ....
Norman Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 01:52 AM   #18

It is common when you have new thing that people like to feel and touch and leave behind oily finger print on the screen ...especially when you have a new notebook they need to use their finger point until touch the screen than happy or when they over excited talking about this new thing ...drop-let start appear on the screen ....
Ipad one drop enough to spoil it Liao :x furthermore later the hog the ipad hard to open mouth and ask to return also... Sian sian haha. Better heed the early advice. Don't use in front of friend
RitzyRitzRit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 02:06 AM   #19
Supremacy Member

for ur case do remember to invest in applecare~~
Old 06-08-2010, 04:31 AM   #20

for ur case do remember to invest in applecare~~
I'm sorry but applecare does not cover what he's describing. The plan for ipad does not cover (and I quote):
(ii) Damage to the Covered Equipment caused by accident, abuse, neglect, misuse (including faulty installation, repair or maintenance by anyone other than Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider), unauthorized modification, extreme environment (including extreme temperature or humidity), extreme physical or electrical stress or interference, fluctuation or surges of electrical power, lightning, static electricity, fire, acts of God or other external causes;
(vii) Covered Equipment that has been lost or stolen. This Plan only covers Covered Equipment that is returned to Apple in its entirety;
(viii) Cosmetic damage to the Covered Equipment including but not limited to scratches, dents and broken plastic on ports;
Please do not encourage him to buy something that will not cover what he's anticipating his 'friends' will do to his ipad.
saidean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 07:44 AM   #21
Master Member

Buy a Otterbox Defender series to protect your ipad lor!
n2btg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 08:28 AM   #22
High Supremacy Member

Thanks to all the buddies here, I successfully convinced my family to allow me to purchase an ipad.

but now, another problem popped out. You all know I'm s student and of cause one reason I bought Ipad is to allow it to accompany me at school. You guys then surely know what would my classmates do...(surely you all know). On top of this, 2 of my classmates are so violent in handling my iPhone and notebook when I borrow them already. This new ipad which is so fragile looking will sure end up with a few scars sia.

Now 1am Liao I can't sleep cos I can't find a solution to get myself able to bring my ipad to school without being labelled as a selfish asshole.. What I'm typing to do here is really preventing harm from my ipad

hence like the nice and logical suggestions you all gave previously, I hope you all can share with me how you cope with this (cos I know your friends around you should surely hog over it too) and give some suggestions. Thanks
Eh, my advise is dun buy. Please dun buy if it end up ur friends uses it more than u
BTW, how old r u? my guess is sec school?
Old 06-08-2010, 08:57 AM   #23
Supremacy Member

Cowz.. Since when did this forum turn into Aunt Agony's column..

TS, since so much problem from family and schoolmates, dun buy...

Honestly, the iPad will attract way too much attention ... why? becos most of your schoolmates/course are using only netbook/laptop and of cos , your iPad will have that 30 secs of fame....
Old 06-08-2010, 09:11 AM   #24

Sometimes this kind of thing to me quite sensitive, hard to open mouth. If wanna screw up very easy. But later dunnid be friend Liao :x
I rather not have such inconsiderate friends.
lailf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 09:16 AM   #25

Buy a maximum coverage from zagg invisible shield for your iPad and you can buy a case to have additional proection. If you like your ipad to be without case, try Sugru, it's not a case but it's something which u can modify on your iPad. Go on their blog and see how they modify iPhone and you can do that to your ipad as well.
WanLing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 09:25 AM   #26

My take is you should not even buy it. iPad or iPhone, at your age, is not a necessity item, but more of a luxury item, though I may consider other simple phone and netbook to be a neccessity item in today's context.

I hope you are buying the iPad out of your own fund, otherwise, don't get it. However, if you really itch to have one, my advice is don't bring to school. You cannot avoid using it without nowledge of your friend. One of them will borrow from you to meddle on it, the other saw it and also meddle on it, third person finds it so appealing, and of course want to meddle on it, etc, etc ... can you imagine?

Think about it, is this your need or your want?
duriand24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 09:29 AM   #27
High Supremacy Member

IMO nobody will "need" an iPad, it's just a "want", but how useful is the differentiating factor.

But anyway, I also don't like those that "abuse" my stuffs, especially those that needs to poke at LCD screen to show something when it isn't even a touch screen.
charleslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 09:33 AM   #28

You cannot avoid using it without nowledge of your friend. One of them will borrow from you to meddle on it, the other saw it and also meddle on it, third person finds it so appealing, and of course want to meddle on it, etc, etc ... can you imagine?
I agree on this. When iPhone 3G just came out and I have it. Since its a phone, I can't be possibly leaving it at home right? But I can tell you that I rarely had the chance to play with my phone in school ad your friends won't stop borrowing it from you. Just bare it in mind, when you have hot gadgets like Apple's product, you can't be selfish but can warn them to be careful otherwise no more lending.
WanLing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 09:37 AM   #29

i anticipate a PART III [MY IPad screen is yellow, How?]

Anyhows, just don't lend. its not a must to lend your friends. it your property anyways.
lawry83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 09:44 AM   #30
Arch-Supremacy Member

1. Don't bring the ipad to school, unless you are prepared for it to get damaged (or unless you are willing to beat a few people into submission)
that would defeat the TS purpose of getting a iPad due to his reason its lighter.

2. Don't use the ipad in front of your friends, IF you have to bring to school. Assumes that your friends will not open your bag without your permission.
dont use infront of friend = making ur life so difficult just to use something that u paid for it = less chance of using it = in the end, redundant = waste of money

in short , don't buy. u buy something to improve ur sch work flow . but it seems like making it even more difficult.
Errz is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.