HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

2018 iPad Pro

Like Tree69Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-05-2020, 12:08 AM   #1876

Hi guys, does anyone know where to get the best deal for 12.9 64GB? The refurbished option on Apple website is the best but it is currently out of stock.
Lucky_Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2020, 12:43 AM   #1877
Arch-Supremacy Member

Hi guys, does anyone know where to get the best deal for 12.9 64GB? The refurbished option on Apple website is the best but it is currently out of stock.
If you’re getting a refurbished set, Apple direct is your best bet. If not avail just have to wait or just scout from places like online shopping platforms.
Old 13-05-2020, 03:36 PM   #1878

Hi There,

Are you getting Cellular or WiFi only for iPad Pro 12.9"?

I understand it's good to have and about $150 different but how much will use over cellular than WiFi especially for 12.9" which mostly will not use on the go while commuting.

I really wants to hear from those who already owned iPad Pro and use it day to day life.
staralliance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2020, 04:16 PM   #1879

Hi There,

Are you getting Cellular or WiFi only for iPad Pro 12.9"?

I understand it's good to have and about $150 different but how much will use over cellular than WiFi especially for 12.9" which mostly will not use on the go while commuting.

I really wants to hear from those who already owned iPad Pro and use it day to day life.
3-4 years back, when mobile phone plans had limited Data (3-4GB per month), getting a cellular ipad was pretty resonable if you are surfing the internet with the ipad because your mobile plan didnt have enough data to tether.

if you would recalled, it was a common thing that telco will issue a 1 GB SIM card when you register for a fibre broadband plan, which you can use the with the cellular ipad.

fast forward now, mobile plans have WAY higher data compared to in the past. just to take my mobile plan as an example, i have 40GB + free weekend data. i can tether with my ipad and watch youtube on the go without bursting my data. the 1 GB SIM card issued with the Fibre plan is also becoming obsolete, or at best you are limited to 1 GB data.

in my humble opinion, to spend the extra on cellular ipad is not justified now.
you may spend the difference between a cellular and non-cellular ipad on AC+, the apple pencil, or on a good ipad case.
staralliance likes this.
Old 13-05-2020, 04:41 PM   #1880

3-4 years back, when mobile phone plans had limited Data (3-4GB per month), getting a cellular ipad was pretty resonable if you are surfing the internet with the ipad because your mobile plan didnt have enough data to tether.

if you would recalled, it was a common thing that telco will issue a 1 GB SIM card when you register for a fibre broadband plan, which you can use the with the cellular ipad.

fast forward now, mobile plans have WAY higher data compared to in the past. just to take my mobile plan as an example, i have 40GB + free weekend data. i can tether with my ipad and watch youtube on the go without bursting my data. the 1 GB SIM card issued with the Fibre plan is also becoming obsolete, or at best you are limited to 1 GB data.

in my humble opinion, to spend the extra on cellular ipad is not justified now.
you may spend the difference between a cellular and non-cellular ipad on AC+, the apple pencil, or on a good ipad case.
Thank you for your reply with an explanation.

One more thing to ask is about storage. Should I go for 128GB or 256GB?
My intended usage with the iPad Pro 12.9" will be:
1. Reading and Replying emails.
2. Creating and editing simple PowerPoint files (may need to save on device but not a big files)
3. Viewing excel files (may need to save on device but not a lot too)
4. Netflix and Spotify (current storage usage on the device is 6GB for Spotify and normally Netflix is only when traveling at 2 GB the most)
5. Photo editing (not professional)
Old 13-05-2020, 10:59 PM   #1881

2. Creating and editing simple PowerPoint files (may need to save on device but not a big files)
4. Netflix and Spotify (current storage usage on the device is 6GB for Spotify and normally Netflix is only when traveling at 2 GB the most)
usage a: non-storage related, more of processing power
usage b: I'm assuming that u will delete the powerpoint after you are done with presentation. but again, it is very hard to hit a 1 GB powerpoint file
usage c: usually small size, but i suppose u will delete after u are done with the excel
usage d: assuming you will delete the Netflix show after you are done watching. Spotify files will take up space but it wont be substantively huge even if download 'extreme' quality
usage e: same as usage c

technically, u can go with 128GB. backup those impt documents to your hdd or cloud storage.
staralliance likes this.
Old 13-05-2020, 11:14 PM   #1882
Supremacy Member

128 more than enough. With cloud storage etc. If not enough just bring along a Usb c thumb drive also can if no connection to internet.

I'm using 64gb for school work. Plenty storage left.

My 2cents
staralliance likes this.
RocketBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2020, 11:38 PM   #1883

128 more than enough. With cloud storage etc. If not enough just bring along a Usb c thumb drive also can if no connection to internet.

I'm using 64gb for school work. Plenty storage left.

My 2cents
Thank you RocketBunny for sharing your usage and thoughts.

usage a: non-storage related, more of processing power
usage b: I'm assuming that u will delete the powerpoint after you are done with presentation. but again, it is very hard to hit a 1 GB powerpoint file
usage c: usually small size, but i suppose u will delete after u are done with the excel
usage d: assuming you will delete the Netflix show after you are done watching. Spotify files will take up space but it wont be substantively huge even if download 'extreme' quality
usage e: same as usage c

technically, u can go with 128GB. backup those impt documents to your hdd or cloud storage.
Thank you Lunarsong for the detailed explanation. As for the portable HDD, is it possible to use the Seagate Backup Plus Portable Drives?
Old 14-05-2020, 12:27 AM   #1884

Thank you RocketBunny for sharing your usage and thoughts.

Thank you Lunarsong for the detailed explanation. As for the portable HDD, is it possible to use the Seagate Backup Plus Portable Drives?
you can opt for either a wireless or wired. if you are thinking portability, you may even use thumbdrive if you need to transfer files between you and your colleagues, and then backup them in hdd when u reach home

but will need an adapter to connect your thumbdrive/hdd to your iPad pro though
staralliance likes this.
Old 14-05-2020, 12:32 AM   #1885

you can opt for either a wireless or wired. if you are thinking portability, you may even use thumbdrive if you need to transfer files between you and your colleagues, and then backup them in hdd when u reach home

but will need an adapter to connect your thumbdrive/hdd to your iPad pro though
Thanks again for sharing. Currently, I'm using the Seagate Backup Plus for me MacBook Pro 13".

With all the inputs from all, I decided to get IPP 12.9" 128GB WiFi with Logitech Slim Folio Pro case and Apple Pencil Gen 2 which is within my set budget.
Old 27-05-2020, 12:33 PM   #1886

Hachi.tech is currently running promotion for 2018 iPad Pro 11 inch 256GB at $999, can bring down to $949 if you are a student with a valid .edu email
lunarsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2020, 03:39 PM   #1887
Arch-Supremacy Member

Hachi.tech is currently running promotion for 2018 iPad Pro 11 inch 256GB at $999, can bring down to $949 if you are a student with a valid .edu email
You need to be a ValueClub member too.
Old 27-05-2020, 10:28 PM   #1888

Is it worth it to get the 2018 iPad Pro 11 inch at $999 for 256gb model or the 2020 iPad Pro 11 inch 128gb model for $1199?
anthonygreenisreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2020, 10:58 PM   #1889
Arch-Supremacy Member

Is it worth it to get the 2018 iPad Pro 11 inch at $999 for 256gb model or the 2020 iPad Pro 11 inch 128gb model for $1199?
If you want the latest and greatest, the choice is obvious. But do note the 2020 model’s upgrade is only subtle from the 2018 model. The A12Z processor is only slightly faster than the A12X with an extra GPU core. The 2020 model supports wifi 6 but you’ll need a wifi 6-capable router in order to utilise it. Lastly, an extra camera with LiDAR sensor for improved AR capabilities.

If you really need the LiDAR, wifi 6 and that slight power boost, then 2020 model is your choice, else everything else is the same as the 2018 model.

Now also comes cost to capacity. If money’s not a big issue to you, just get the latest model. $200 extra with 3 improved features (depends on your needs) but with half the capacity. If capacity matters a lot to you over those new features, I suggest the 2018 model ($200 less with double the capacity).

The ultimate choice is yours bro, the 2018 model is still a powerhouse and can last for at least another year or two. If I were in your shoes, I’d buy the 2020 model since I don’t use anything more than 64GB for iPad.
Old 27-05-2020, 11:19 PM   #1890

All iPad Pro 2020 models also equip with 6gb RAM which allows more apps and tasks to run even more effortlessly.
dingdung is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.