2018 iPad Pro

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
From the start I’ve never liked the Android ecosystem and I’ve a number of colleagues also complaining a lot about their Samsung devices. MS Surface Pro is more of a laptop rather than a tablet so it’s a lillte bit of a different ‘class’.

The iPad is still the ultimate tablet and with numerous apps and more app developers leaning towards the iOS platform, it literally is able to do just about everything.

Based on personal experience, this is a problem with Samsung, and is not just limited to their phones. They sell a lot of IOT/ smart devices and appliances, but security is questionable since they don't actively patch them. There are good Android devices out there like Google's Pixel series.

From a tablet perspective, Apple is the go to brand simply because they still care about this market segment. Other Android players are creating tablets as an after thought currently. People tend to buy Android tablets for the purpose of watching shows, so don't buy expensive ones.

Depending on what you do, a hybrid like the Surface Pro is actually more versatile than an iPad, although I strongly encourage to avoid MS products due to years of observed poor quality hardware. I own a Lenovo Miix 720 and an iPad, and clearly the former is easier to use for productivity purpose and more versatile/ less restrictive from a software/OS standpoint. iPad is really more for when I don't want to use the keyboard and mouse and want to just surf net, watch an movie and play some games.

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Need to tong another 3 months before the new launch. Wait till neck long long

If you need one, no need to wait right? The current iPad Pro are very capable tablets. In fact I have read reviews that the current gen iPad's SOC is so fast that it is an overkill for iOS. I have seen iPad Pro 10.5 inch 512GB for about 1.1+ K and brand new, which is a very good deal.

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Give them one more year also cannot make a device that can outperform 2017 iPad Pro lol

Each year, we are expecting to see an increase in performance. To be honest, how much faster is enough? As you mentioned, the current iPad Pro is already very capable. Even with a faster SOC, can you feel the difference based on your use case?

Personally, my wishlist for this year's iPad Pro is not so much on performance, but maybe a screen that can do HDR.

htngwilliam

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If you need one, no need to wait right? The current iPad Pro are very capable tablets. In fact I have read reviews that the current gen iPad's SOC is so fast that it is an overkill for iOS. I have seen iPad Pro 10.5 inch 512GB for about 1.1+ K and brand new, which is a very good deal.

Any place selling iPad Pro 512gb for $1.1k?

rvyne7

Reaction score
Each year, we are expecting to see an increase in performance. To be honest, how much faster is enough? As you mentioned, the current iPad Pro is already very capable. Even with a faster SOC, can you feel the difference based on your use case?

Personally, my wishlist for this year's iPad Pro is not so much on performance, but maybe a screen that can do HDR.

:p honestly same here I didn't really looking for more faster but better designed I feel they should incorporate iPhone X designed - no home button, less bezel screen but not so much fan of face ID and wireless charging (preferred the fast charging which can only be done using using usb-c to a macbook adapter).

Overall why I'm still restraining myself is cause I want to get latest refresh model. I always tried to get the newest possible model specially we're expecting changes into this upcoming model if its just refresh already bought one.

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
:p honestly same here I didn't really looking for more faster but better designed I feel they should incorporate iPhone X designed - no home button, less bezel screen but not so much fan of face ID and wireless charging (preferred the fast charging which can only be done using using usb-c to a macbook adapter).

Overall why I'm still restraining myself is cause I want to get latest refresh model. I always tried to get the newest possible model specially we're expecting changes into this upcoming model if its just refresh already bought one.

Peronally, I feel the bezel on the 10.5 inch Pro is acceptable. Unlike a phone where you can use a single hand to have a secure grip, a tablet likely will require 2 hands, and this is where the slight bezel really helps.

Snoweagle

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Based on personal experience, this is a problem with Samsung, and is not just limited to their phones. They sell a lot of IOT/ smart devices and appliances, but security is questionable since they don't actively patch them. There are good Android devices out there like Google's Pixel series.

From a tablet perspective, Apple is the go to brand simply because they still care about this market segment. Other Android players are creating tablets as an after thought currently. People tend to buy Android tablets for the purpose of watching shows, so don't buy expensive ones.

Depending on what you do, a hybrid like the Surface Pro is actually more versatile than an iPad, although I strongly encourage to avoid MS products due to years of observed poor quality hardware. I own a Lenovo Miix 720 and an iPad, and clearly the former is easier to use for productivity purpose and more versatile/ less restrictive from a software/OS standpoint. iPad is really more for when I don't want to use the keyboard and mouse and want to just surf net, watch an movie and play some games.

I meant as in a tablet in general is more for something more convenient than lugging out a laptop. My MBP is my main computer which doesn all the major computing work, while my iPP is more on the go. I used to lug my MBP out, but now it’s just my home computer.

I’ve tried out the Surface Pro and even though it looks and feels premium, but that’s only on the aesthetics. Internally, it’s still running Windows and being a long-time Windows user before making the jump to macOS, the latter is a lot better.

manofsorrows

Master Member
Reaction score
And to add on, Microsoft support for their hardware is horrendous. Heaven and hell apart from Apple or even 3rd party brands, ie asus, dell etc.... Their support is just unreal.

I meant as in a tablet in general is more for something more convenient than lugging out a laptop. My MBP is my main computer which doesn all the major computing work, while my iPP is more on the go. I used to lug my MBP out, but now it’s just my home computer.

I’ve tried out the Surface Pro and even though it looks and feels premium, but that’s only on the aesthetics. Internally, it’s still running Windows and being a long-time Windows user before making the jump to macOS, the latter is a lot better.

htngwilliam

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
And to add on, Microsoft support for their hardware is horrendous. Heaven and hell apart from Apple or even 3rd party brands, ie asus, dell etc.... Their support is just unreal.

I have used the latest surface pro. Although I am happy with surface pro, I am concern about the reliability. I have used my unit for 9 months and I have received replacement unit for both tablet and keyboard. I am not sure whether it can last 3 years.

As Apple is due to refresh iPad Pro, you can get an iPad Pro 10.5” 256gb LTE at $1100-1200. Seems like a pretty good deal. Should be able to last for a few more years

manofsorrows

Master Member
Reaction score
I am using the 10.5” ipad pro and am very happy w it.....cant wait for ios 12 officially. as for the surface pro i am happy with it as its just a secondary backup device. just not happy about the tech support i got. Never another microsoft hardware again. Shall stick to my macs.

I have used the latest surface pro. Although I am happy with surface pro, I am concern about the reliability. I have used my unit for 9 months and I have received replacement unit for both tablet and keyboard. I am not sure whether it can last 3 years.

As Apple is due to refresh iPad Pro, you can get an iPad Pro 10.5” 256gb LTE at $1100-1200. Seems like a pretty good deal. Should be able to last for a few more years

Chevalier

Master Member
Reaction score
I am using the 10.5” ipad pro and am very happy w it.....cant wait for ios 12 officially. as for the surface pro i am happy with it as its just a secondary backup device. just not happy about the tech support i got. Never another microsoft hardware again. Shall stick to my macs.

precisely.....thats why i've sold all my windows devices and older apple devices in anticipation for the upgrades and refreshes. using them for new work.

i've used the dell XPS and all but just doesnt offer the same premium experience.

Snoweagle

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Even software support is quite bad already which I've experienced during my Windows days.

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

I've heard too many issues with MS products and have been advising people to steer clear of it for a few years now. And mind you these issues are serious issues, i.e. very poor battery life, screen issues, etc. For a premium price they charge, it is a red flag for me. I won't even consider they after sales service when they can't even convince me to try their products. Also, the warranty is also very short and I think no way to extend it unless you buy from the likes of Harvey Norman with 3rd party warranty. Currently I am using a Lenovo Miix 720 that is more than 1 year old now. Only ran into keyboard issues recently, but at least the main unit still works fine.

manofsorrows

Master Member
Reaction score
Yes i agree with you. I regretted big time buying MS products.

I've heard too many issues with MS products and have been advising people to steer clear of it for a few years now. And mind you these issues are serious issues, i.e. very poor battery life, screen issues, etc. For a premium price they charge, it is a red flag for me. I won't even consider they after sales service when they can't even convince me to try their products. Also, the warranty is also very short and I think no way to extend it unless you buy from the likes of Harvey Norman with 3rd party warranty. Currently I am using a Lenovo Miix 720 that is more than 1 year old now. Only ran into keyboard issues recently, but at least the main unit still works fine.

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Even software support is quite bad already which I've experienced during my Windows days.

I feel the OS is becoming more and more clunky. If you try and use a PC where the OS is installed on a mechanical drive, everything takes a very long time to load. Never feel this way when I was using Win 7 or 8.1.

I guess once my laptop kaputs, I will be switching fully back to an iPad Pro as well.

Fizzical

Reaction score
The only ipad worth buying is iPad Pro. Speaking from someone who has quite a number of other ipads and tablets.

Snoweagle

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I feel the OS is becoming more and more clunky. If you try and use a PC where the OS is installed on a mechanical drive, everything takes a very long time to load. Never feel this way when I was using Win 7 or 8.1.

I guess once my laptop kaputs, I will be switching fully back to an iPad Pro as well.

I’ve given up on windows and moved to mac since 2010 and never looked back. Now even my MBP’s on SSD so HDDs are a thing of the past.

Snoweagle

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The only ipad worth buying is iPad Pro. Speaking from someone who has quite a number of other ipads and tablets.

I agree...... regretted not getting the 9.7pro back then.

My very first iPad was the mini and I absolutely loved its portability, hence mini 2 and then mini 4. Up to only recently I decided to upgrade as the mini 4’s getting slower and lagging when I played some games. Hence I upgraded to the 10.5” Pro and it’s miles ahead of the mini 4.

I still have my mini 4 but maybe reserving it for light tasks.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.