HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Any Apple TV gurus out there?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-10-2011, 10:09 AM   #1

Any Apple TV gurus out there?

How can I use my 5.1 home theater system with my apple TV?

My apple tv works fine when the HDMI cable is plugged directly into my TV. But the problem is that my TV's speakers suck. So I to somehow make use of my home theater set up.

It has one HDMI port. When I run HDMI from Apple tv to the home theater HDMI, then use red/white/yellow cables from home theater to TV...nothing happens.

Any suggestions? Will this ever work?
JackBootThug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2011, 12:26 PM   #2

the HDCP link to the TV is broken ... that's why it is currently not working. You could probably jb the ATV, run XBMC and watch movies that way .. it should work.

But the picture quality will be very poor over a composite cable.
SiaoAngMoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2011, 12:40 PM   #3

SAM, thanks for your reply. I didn't know that term so I googled it and what I ready doesn't really match with your theory- though you could be right. I will continue to research this angle.

If there are other suggestions by all means please pass them along.
Old 18-10-2011, 01:26 PM   #4

ATV -> HDMI to TV -> HDMI to HT

above work? when watching ATV, on HT to aux.
that's what i do for MioTV and it works.
elimmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2011, 02:09 PM   #5

Use the optical out of the apple TV to your 5.1 surround sound system optical input
Old 18-10-2011, 02:38 PM   #6

Elim, thanks I will try this.

Mega, thanks also. But from what I see my HT doesn't have optical input or anything that looks like it.
Old 18-10-2011, 05:18 PM   #7

SAM, thanks for your reply. I didn't know that term so I googled it and what I ready doesn't really match with your theory- though you could be right. I will continue to research this angle.

If there are other suggestions by all means please pass them along.
The HDCP is the copy protection DRM in the HDMI link. When you go from digital to analog, this HDCP is broken, and this can result in the analog outputs being turned off. The analog outputs in your case being the white/red/yellow composite cable.

Read more...
Old 18-10-2011, 06:19 PM   #8

Thanks again SAM.

Well I wil try to check into this. But at this time... I'm pretty confused by it. Anyway, the TV is new as is the ATV so I certainly hope nothing is broken.
Old 19-10-2011, 12:43 AM   #9

Post details of TV and HT models. Will be easier to troubleshoot or explain your issue.

I'm guessing if the HT only has a single HDMI port, it's most likely an output only port. Is the HT one of those integrated ones with a Bluray/DVD drive in there? If so, that port is output only, designed to connect the HT to the TV for bluray/dvd playback. It isn't designed for input from an ATV.

Optical out from the ATV to the HT is still the best way forward. I find it hard to believe the HT has no optical in. Post model details...

Last edited by SiaoAngMoh; 19-10-2011 at 12:55 AM..
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.