Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Apple iPad 2 parts said squeezed by Japan quake

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-03-2011, 12:50 PM   #1
Honorary Member

Mar 18, 2011

SAN FRANCISCO - APPLE Inc may face shortages of key components for its newly-released iPad 2 as a result of the earthquake in Japan, according to a report released on Thursday.

Several key components in the new version of Apple's popular iPad tablet PC come from Japan, including the battery and the flash memory used to store music and video on the device, according to research firm IHS iSuppli.

The iPad 2 battery, which IHS iSuppli said is 'unusually thin', is manufactured by Apple Japan, an Apple subsidiary, and likely requires advanced manufacturing technologies that reside in the country.

'Logistical disruptions may mean that Apple could have difficulties obtaining this battery, and it may not be able to secure supply from an external, non-Japanese source,' the report said.

Production at many Japanese manufacturing facilities has come to a halt following Friday's 9.0 earthquake and subsequent tsunami, which has left more than 5,600 people dead and destroyed swaths of the country.

Toshiba Corp, which is one of the companies that produces the NAND flash memory used in the iPad 2 according to IHS iSuppli's research, briefly shut down a flash memory manufacturing facility in Japan and warned it could face hurdles distributing its products. Suppliers of other components whose factories weren't damaged are likely to be affected by logistical issues, such as difficulties procuring raw materials and shipping finished products, the report said. -- REUTERS
Old 18-03-2011, 02:51 PM   #2
Arch-Supremacy Member

can speculate again liaoz.....
iMbEst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2011, 02:52 PM   #3
Master Member

Don't think just Apple.

Japan is one of the largest supplier sources in the world, but more particularly for IT products and the engineering industry I think.
jAguero_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2011, 11:05 PM   #4

I can live without iPhone.

But it's really sad to have something like this happening...
Fantazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.