HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Apple Pencil Not Working

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2019, 11:10 PM   #1
Master Member

Apple Pencil Not Working

Hi all,

I updated my iOS to 12.1.1 and now my Apple Pencil isn't working. I tried re-pairing it, rebooting my iPad, charging it via lightning cable etc and all doesnt work.

Anyone facing the same issue?

Using 1st gen pencil with iPad bought last year
donald83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 12:26 AM   #2
Arch-Supremacy Member

Hi all,

I updated my iOS to 12.1.1 and now my Apple Pencil isn't working. I tried re-pairing it, rebooting my iPad, charging it via lightning cable etc and all doesnt work.

Anyone facing the same issue?

Using 1st gen pencil with iPad bought last year
Didn’t have such issue with mine on my iPad Pro 2017, also on 12.1.1.

When you turn on the Bluetooth and plug in the Pencil directly to the lightning port, doesn’t show ‘connected’?

If all that you’ve tried failed, try restoring it via iTunes, make sure you do a backup first.
Old 08-01-2019, 12:46 PM   #3
Supremacy Member

Mine working fine leh
Maybe yours is a defect
Glariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 10:16 PM   #4
Master Member

Didn’t have such issue with mine on my iPad Pro 2017, also on 12.1.1.

When you turn on the Bluetooth and plug in the Pencil directly to the lightning port, doesn’t show ‘connected’?

If all that you’ve tried failed, try restoring it via iTunes, make sure you do a backup first.
I connected via lightning port to my iPad and it shows connected and able to charge. It is only when I try to write on Notability then it cannot detect my handwriting.

You mean do a factory reset via iTunes?
Old 08-01-2019, 10:33 PM   #5
Arch-Supremacy Member

I connected via lightning port to my iPad and it shows connected and able to charge. It is only when I try to write on Notability then it cannot detect my handwriting.

You mean do a factory reset via iTunes?
Then did you try tapping on apps to see if it responds? If it does, you might have to re-install Notability (I’m also using Notability).

On iTunes there’s a restore button on the main page when you connect your iPad and restore from there.
Old 09-01-2019, 11:20 PM   #6
Master Member

Then did you try tapping on apps to see if it responds? If it does, you might have to re-install Notability (I’m also using Notability).

On iTunes there’s a restore button on the main page when you connect your iPad and restore from there.
Tapped on other apps and also not working, Problem not only lies with Notability.

Did system restore and pencil doesn't work as well.

Intend to bring it to service centre.

How do they check for warranty? I still have the receipt (bought in May 2018).
Old 09-01-2019, 11:51 PM   #7
Arch-Supremacy Member

Tapped on other apps and also not working, Problem not only lies with Notability.

Then might be the pencil’s not working. You could try getting hold or borrowing another pencil to see if it works (maybe from iStudio or Nubox). If still fail, might be the iPad itself.

Next step will be Apple Store. Make an online appointment or via Apple Store app for an available slot. What the Genius staff will usually do is to run diagnostics on your device and see if got any problem with the hardware. From there they will advise you accordingly.

Warranty wise not to worry as they will be able to check from their system your purchase date.

Last edited by Snoweagle; 09-01-2019 at 11:53 PM..
Snoweagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 01:01 AM   #8
Master Member

Make sure the tip is tighten. It is a removable tip so some rare times it can be loosen after use.
deathst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2019, 07:51 PM   #9
Master Member

So in the end I sent my pencil to the service centre. They sent me a sms asking me to come and collect and it will be a one for one replacement.

They un oxed the new pencil, unable to pair with my ipad. They tried to pair with their ipad and Couldnt work as well.

So the replacement is also faulty and I made a wasted trip back there. What a joke
Old 19-01-2019, 09:18 PM   #10

My pencil seems to lose connection to my ipad instantly nowadays and it's getting annoying, I bought it way back, will they replace it for free or do I have to pay?
Zakhri32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2019, 09:58 PM   #11
Master Member

My pencil seems to lose connection to my ipad instantly nowadays and it's getting annoying, I bought it way back, will they replace it for free or do I have to pay?
Past warranty then u gotta pay
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.